There is another story here: Slot Cars: Speeding Again

Ron Thornton

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Now you understand why you should never believe what you read in the newspapers! :laugh2:

#4 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,690 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Nice to see PDL with a positive word.

Circle T was a fun track to race at and was one of SoCal's longest surviving tracks. Womp racing was almost a religion there with the races being highly contested. Several USRA champions came out of that program.

When Jerry and Harriet wanted to sell the business Mike Brannian and I were able to come to an easy agreement with them on price, contingent on being able to get the landlord to agree on a lease. The landlord wanted way more per square foot than any comparable space for miles and wouldn't commit in writing to fixing a leaky roof or repairing what passed for air conditioning. The deal feel through and the building was empty for 13 months until becoming a Karate school.

All tracks have a personality, describing Circle T as a Mom and Pop business in the best sense of the word describes it well.
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,699 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I remember the original owners, the Tuckers, and Don Aspenson. All nice people.
The article says the shop opened in 1957. Certainly not as a raceway, since slot cars hardly even existed then, and in England only... :)

#6 motormaster

motormaster

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Lots of memories of Circle T Raceway back in the '80s.

I bought my first car, a Womp Womp, at Canoga Raceway in 1978, about 15 miles from Circle T. Canoga Raceway had several owners. Chris Keiderling with his crazy wife Carol ran the place when i first started racing there. Before Chris i believe a man named Stone owned it. I don't know who originally opened it up but it changed owners often before the last owner Howard Bauman closed it up in the late '80s I think. it was very long ago.

Like Circle T Womps were a big thing there and three classes were raced: Stock, Super Stock, and Modified. The turnouts weren't as many as Circle T but it kept the place going to the end. c

Circle T became the closest place to race and Super Stock class was the only thing going on. Friday nights there was sometimes 60-70 people in there. Qualifying started at 6 and five classes were raced. Beginners, Novice (which I raced), Advanced B, Advanced A, and Expert. Sometimes the races wouldn't be over till 12 or 1 AM.

Even though Harriet and Jerry, the owners, tried to keep it fun and clean there was some bad seeds that raced there weekly. They were known cheeters and got caught as much as they got away with it. o

Overall it was a fun time and I have many fond memories of both raceways and all the old timers I met back in the day at those two places.

If anyone is interested there is an AWRA event at www.slotcarcity.com at the end of August 2017 in Las Vegas. 

• Samiam likes this
Jeffrey Bernstein

Electric Dreams Online Shop