38 replies to this topic

#31 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,350 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

See... Even I got Greg thinking about a Blue Moon. LOL.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies
Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting-Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA Body Committee - Roving IRRA Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#32 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

The success of Retro is definitely a good thing and gosh knows we need some positive things in our hobby these days.

A suggestion... stop counting entries and start counting human beings. I think it would be a far better measure of participation.

Pete Varlan

#33 Larry Mattingly

Larry Mattingly

Posting Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Penn-Ohio Retro Series had 28-racers at REM in Mentor, OH, this past Saturday...

LM

#34 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 15,350 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

We had 23 racers and that was just fine for the place we were at. Our next one should yield at least 35.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies
Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting-Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA Body Committee - Roving IRRA Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#35 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Like I said.. good news!

Pete Varlan

#36 blkdout76

blkdout76

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

If i may add to this whole take over of slot car racing known as Retro? My dad 1st got me started into slot cars when i was around 10yrs old i'm gunna be 36 this April 23rd and ive raced it all....... Dad would only let me run Womps with all the other kids while he got to run flexi stuff i always remember him telling me, " U get good enough at driving these womps and winning, you'll be able to drive any other form of slot cars" and that i did. After enlisting in the Navy at 18 and being stationed in San Diego i moved to a town called El Cajon and their was a billiards and slot cars buisness in the town and I got started racing in So Cal USRA racing with some of the best, Monty Ohren (r.i.p) Duran Trajillo(sp) sorry,The Forsyth's etc...etc... My accomplishments were fair and i was always pleased with my driving skills and the cars i built, I moved back to CT in June of 2000 and started in CT where i left off in CA winning a couple NECC championships in outlaw and GTP and finding myself usually finishing in the top 5, My accomplishments would fair a little better now as my skills were getting better and learning some things from other greats Like Dick Pelletier, Ray Lee, Jay Kisling etc...etc... My dad and I would decide to drive down to the Div 2 scale nats in Anderson SC where i would decide to build my GT1 car that morning with a brand new turbo flex from off the wall and win my 1st amature national championship, if that wasnt enough i would also decide to drive out to Ohio and try my luck and the Parma challange cup where i would win not 1, not 2 but all 3 races in the amature division and inturn getting my self on the cover of Slot car Bulletin i believe the caption read ( Clinton sweeps Challage Cup) Where am i going with all this? Well i have now maybe 5 retro races under my belt and only 1 of them being an actual retro east event a couple weeks ago at Port Jeff, and with all the scale racing i have done over the years this has been some of the most fun ive had racing with some great guys. The turn out was great to see, the racing was even better i only raced Can Am with a descent motor that Doug let me borrow cuz my off the wall motor PD was not up to par, my chassis was CAP Henry built, and i felt i did pretty good racing against some tough competition, my only draw back rite now is I havent the know how, or even where to start when it comes to building these chassis or the time it takes to master this art of building like Tony P, CAP, Manta Ray etc...etc... I know this was long and drawn out but i just wanted to express where ive been,what ive done and now where i'm trying to go in slot car racing. Thanks to some great fellow drivers that have been showing me the ropes in Retro east..... Dom,Ray Duran,Larry Cyr,Rapid Rick etc.... etc.... i'm loving this Retro phenomena and cant wait till Retropalloza 3 to race with and meet some great ppl ive been reading so much about on this site.
Gary Clinton Jr

#37 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Dad would only let me run Womps with all the other kids while he got to run flexi stuff i always remember him telling me, " U get good enough at driving these womps and winning, you'll be able to drive any other form of slot cars" and that i did.

Your father is a smart man and gave you wise words :)

#38 blkdout76

blkdout76

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Your father is a smart man and gave you wise words :)

HAHA!! Thanks Ron..
Gary Clinton Jr

#39 Fiddler

Fiddler

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

You guys are so right about retro racing being BIG time. This is exactly what got me re-started after 41 years off the circuit.
After more or less stumbling across this site and others, I found myself at BPR taking in the action, and had three racers wanting to loan me a Can-Am car to race the first time I was there! This was Bela, Terry Schmid, and John Cukras! Needless to say, I'm running whenever I can at BPR at the S.C.R.R.A. races with my own car, and am building a new Warmack chassis kit[Can-Am] as this is being typed. Do I like and appreciate retro racing, and the come back it has made? YES! And I plan on having another car for the Western States in July. Thanks ALL for your help and advice to get me back in.
Tom Eatherly

Electric Dreams Online Shop