• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Withers

John Withers

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I was thinking of starting to build up a stock of vintage plastic track to use with my growing collection of vintage slot cars. I have mostly stock monogram 16D powered cars and a couple revell/pittman powered cars. I know very little about the track from those days so I thought I might throw this topic out there. The Revell track seems to be at the top of the heap in terms of desirability on Ebay. Does that mean it is the best? There is quit a bit more of the strombecker stuff available and prices are a bit better. I think strombecker went through some design changes from year to year, some versions not being so good. What track should I stay away from? Also I would guess that the power packs vary from one company to the next. Would buying this stuff be worth my effort and money or should I not even go down this road? -chuckle- :)

#2 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

Monogram track has the deepest slot ,full 1/4" , Revell and Strombecker 3/16 . I'd avoid Scalextric because it is too narrow and so is the slot. Now it becomes a question of availability including aprons. Power can always be adapted later. I used to run 4 Strombecker power packs( 1 ea. lane ) which showed 4 amps on my tester.

With all these vintage tracks you may run into corrosion. Some people nearby have chosen new Carrera track to avoid all these problems but it may be $10 a piece.

#3 tlbrace

tlbrace

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Monogram track has the deepest slot ,full 1/4" , Revell and Strombecker 3/16 . I'd avoid Scalextric because it is too narrow and so is the slot. Now it becomes a question of availability including aprons. Power can always be adapted later. I used to run 4 Strombecker power packs( 1 ea. lane ) which showed 4 amps on my tester.

With all these vintage tracks you may run into corrosion. Some people nearby have chosen new Carrera track to avoid all these problems but it may be $10 a piece.

Gary, are you sure the Revell slot is more shallow than the Monogram? As I recall they were pretty much the same. We had a guy in our club who grafted the 2 lane Revell banked turn onto his Monogram layout, and he was running all kinds of vintage cars, from 1/32 to hot 1/24 scale commercial racers. Never had any problem with a fast car/deep guide going from a deeper Monogram slot to a shallow Revell slot at full speed. Up until just a few years ago I had a long 4 lane Revell, then an even longer 3 lane Strombecker. I'm very sure the Revell slot was deeper than the Strombecker.
Todd Brace

#4 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

I was sure when I wrote and now I re-measured Monogram still 1/4" deep and Strombecker just over 3/16 (.205) I don't have a piece of Revell around but I use the piece of Strombecker for setting up my guide flags for revell . I raced on Revell a week ago and after cleaning the track with Windex and then a tack rag , it still has less traction than the other 2. Strombecker is probably the roughest surface and works well with old rubber, foam and silicone. Revell was the most slippery, Silicone was the only thing I could get to work well. It has been along time since I ran on Monogram but I can't remember any traction problems like I had with Revell though the 1 piece I have here for set up, is pretty smooth. Again Carrera seemed to work well and has the deep slot and was readily available .

#5 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Atlas anyone?
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#6 John Withers

John Withers

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I currently have a decent supply of scalextric sport track but I have not been very happy with it. It is too flimsy and the track connections are always sketchy. I learned from slot blog not long ago that running the old motors with the new power packs will eventually damage them (the motors). So my reason for looking into this was to try to find an easy and economical way to run my old cars.

#7 Robert Blaschke

Robert Blaschke

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

The slot on Monogram track is 1/4" deep the Revell track is @1/64" deeper.
Both tracks are the same width. Monogram aprons are wider than Revell.
A four lane Revell track with inside and outside aprons is 17" wide. A four lane Monogram track with aprons is 18" wide.
Revell made 1/2 14" radius curves and 1/2 straight tracks. Monogram has a cool curve chicane but no 1/2 curves an or straights.
Both track have around the same grip. My Revell track does not like temperature changes and gaps open up in the track during the winter. My basement is not finished but does have a concrete floor and some heat.
I like both tracks. Revell is easier to find but I was able to find enough track to build my current track in either Revell or Monogram.
I just cleaned a complete Monogram Riverside around a month ago and it works fine.
Never use steel wool to clean the rails. Dishwashing liquid, warm water and a tooth brush will work just fine. Simple green also works but not recommended without ventilation.
Happy hunting.
RB

#8 Robert Blaschke

Robert Blaschke

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Atlas is the same width as Revell and Strombecker. Atlas makes a cool roadway kit that allows you to make 1", 2" straight tracks to fill those odd gaps.
Track is not that easy to find in quantity and is very pricey. Thought about building one of the layouts in their track plans book
but lack of availability and price kind of helped with the decision not to do so.
Atlas makes a conversion track to mate Atlas to Revell and Atlas to Strombecker.
Atlas terminal tracks do not have a quick plug in system for power pack and controllers. Not really an issue if your going to build a permanent layout.
RB

#9 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have a massive amount of Monogram that I will use to build a nice four lane layout when I have the room.  Presently, I'm using my 3 lane routed track.

I did use the Mono track to set up the "Riverside" layout a number of years ago and it was great fun.  As long as the track is clean, the super smooth surface provides great traction for urethane or soft rubber tires.  I also think it's one of the most visually appealing plastic tracks available.

Paul Quick

Electric Dreams Online Shop