• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Lets switch gears to HO scale. These are all Cobramite in their color variations. To get back to my original concept, I would like to know more history. When were they made, who designed them etc. I remember some of the names of these but not all. it's been 15 years since I looked at them !

slotblog 112.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 ravajack

ravajack

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

The Cobramite was apparently invented/designed by a fellow called Anthony Colletti around 1969-1970.
He applied for a patent of the construction (called "Miniature Slot Car") on February 13, 1970, and had
it granted on August 3, 1971 (US patent #3596397).

About the connection between mr Colletti and the Cobra guys, Roy Crawley and Lou Graziano, I have no idea.
That's a question for someone else, closer to this subject in time and space...

Posted Image

Read more (full description) about the patent here: http://www.ptodirect...uery=PN/3596397
Bertil Berggren
Overseas Observer

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Coletti was simply an employee of Graziano. Since plenty of other slot cars previously on the market (Cox La Cucaracha and all IFC cars, and the Riggen JAD) had a similar system, the patent was strictly a design patent so that there would not be exacting copies, a waste of time really! I am sure that it would have been almost impossible to obtain a "basic patent" because of "previous art". The IFC chassis was not even the first to offer an "ISO-Fulcrum" function, there were commercially produced chassis offering similar design in both 1/24 and 1/32 scale at the very same time.

Note that the Cobramite bodies were produced by Lancer and were all made of rather thick (for an HO car) butyrate.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#4 Mark H

Mark H

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

When I saw that patent blueprint I thought Riggen Gator chassis.

You sure have a lot of Cobramite bodies, Joe... haha.
Mark Haas

#5 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

My guess at names are top left clock wise Honker II, Mclaren MKVI, Lola T70, Matich, King Cobra, Ferrari P4,Mclaren M6A.
Do i win any doubles? I have a HO brass chassis for each.
Thanks for showing Were you get them all, Iam sick Jealous. What other HO you have?
Thanks John F
John Falzarano

#6 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Joe,
Also all of your Cobra Bodies have the Body clip that snapped into the Aurora TJET Chassis. Just remove the original TJET brass top plate clip off your TJET snap this on so it did both top plate clip & body mount. Think this was helded on body with staples.

BAM instant light weight racer.

Dont`t know if they made to many for Cobra Chassis and this was a way to sell extra stock?
Thanks Joe you may have to open Slot Car Museum East
SJJ
John Falzarano

Electric Dreams Online Shop