• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thought I would switch it up a little today with a model kit. You don't see this one too often.

slotblog 117.jpg

Here is a pic of me in our family cart probably about 1964 or so. This was a Blitz cart with a Clinton motor just like the model kit. Notice how they captured the unique profile of the gas tank. That's me sitting on my brother Ernie's lap with my brother Mark standing. Damn, I was one cute little kid :laugh2:
I hope this pic stirs up some memories of your "UTE"

Man, It was a simpler time :to_take_umbrage:

slotblog 116.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

The day I finished building my first cart, down the road I went. Oh no police! I explained to the Man I had just built it. His reply was a stern " Well, unbuild it!" I didnt, but was more careful before i took her out again.
John Austin

#3 Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Rick Maynard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Very cool kit, reminded me of my coolest slotcart. I aquired this in a multiple car purchase from e-pay about 5 years ago, no idea who constructed it but is my favorite as it is so authentic to the Go-Cart's when I was a kid. Enjoy

2010-12-19 21.47.33.jpg

2010-12-19 21.47.52.jpg

2010-12-19 21.48.14.jpg
Rick Maynard
Build it, Race it, Break it, Fix it !

Don't Outsmart Common Sense !

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

Rick, That is special! Appears to be based on a K&B Dragster chassis. Love the foot pedals and the period correct sparkle upholstery. Even has 64 pitch gears although the scale working Mercury clutch is missing :laugh2: If it is ever to leave your possesion let me know.

Joe Lupo

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Rick, That is special! Appears to be based on a K&B Dragster chassis.

Joe, I do not think so. Looks more like built from scratch using Cox nickel plated tubing.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#6 Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Rick Maynard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Joe, I do not think so. Looks more like built from scratch using Cox nickel plated tubing.

P.
That is correct, it is Nickel plated tubing and look's scratchbuilt.

Joe, if I ever think of parting with this, u will be the 1st to know, but like I said , it is my favorite slot !
Rick Maynard
Build it, Race it, Break it, Fix it !

Don't Outsmart Common Sense !

#7 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Those are both really cool, about 2 or 3 years ago I restored my grandpa's 1959 Dart Kart. It's alot of fun to take out and run from time to time :)

Team PSC
Parma PSE
CHR Cars
JDR-Joe Dirt Racing

#8 Mark H

Mark H

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

rick that the coolest slot ive seen! karting started right around my neck of the woods back in the day, and Bug go karts were built down the street in Azusa.

those were better days. my dad said he would have his parents take him down to the sears on a sunday when they where closed and ride his taco mini bike around the parking lot and kids would be racing there go karts around. if you did that today the cops are there in five minutes patting you down like your a criminal. i should know lol.
Mark Haas

#9 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

I had to make a HO Go Cart after seeing that. We all had go carts as kids. Not finihed yet.
Like to make a 3 1/2 HP B&S to cover motor.

Attached Images

• GO CART.JPG

John Falzarano

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

To clearly differentiate the Strombecker G-Kart slot car, which is a completely different animal from the static kit, here is a picture of the beast inside its original RTR box:

s188.jpg

This was in an approximate 1/18 scale (guestimated from the size of the driver...) and offered in kit form (# 9400) and in RTR form as above (# 9500). The one-piece body was vacuum plated for a "chrome" finish, while the driver was a 2-piece molding of red plastic. The die-cast wheels and tires were specific to the model that uses the "series 3" Mabuchi R15 motor (the long gray one with a short shaft) driving a gear cast in pot metal in the same mold as the wheels.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#11 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4602f9cf44
Sorry wrong link Here`s Scalextric Go- cart set.
SJJ
John Falzarano

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

OK. I fail to comprehend why this auction has any relation with the subject at hand. What am I missing?

Philippe de Lespinay

#13 sub006

sub006

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

rick that the coolest slot ive seen! karting started right around my neck of the woods back in the day, and Bug go karts were built down the street in Azusa.

those were better days. my dad said he would have his parents take him down to the sears on a sunday when they where closed and ride his taco mini bike around the parking lot and kids would be racing there go karts around. if you did that today the cops are there in five minutes patting you down like your a criminal. i should know lol.

That sounds like the Eastland Mall, still there off the 10 Freeway east of Los Angeles.  The pioneering karters like Art Ingels, Duffy Livingston, Spence Murray and the like organized the first open, free karting get-togethers and races at the Rose Bowl parking lot in Pasadena, think it was 1957.

When the Rose Bowl kicked them out, the circus moved to the Eastland mall, guess the management thought it would bring lots of spectating families that would also do some shopping.

Eventually the novelty wore off and serious karters built and raced at purpose-built tracks.

Jim Smith

Electric Dreams Online Shop