• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Some of you guys look forward to these posts so I will keep going.

Today we have some Clear ( relative term ) coatings. After 45 years they look more like Urine samples than Clear coatings. :wacko2:
Left to right, Pactra Clear body primer, ( never saw another of these ) Ulrich Clear, and Russ-Coat liquid plastic.Sorry for the Crapola pic. It's late and I'm tired.

slotblog 118.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Joe,
Look at the detail of the bottle on left, what's not to like? Most stuff these days comes in plastic never mind that detail,looks like todays crystal .Reminds me of the testers paints that size for 15 cents. Can I go back for just one day?
thanks for posting
John F
John Falzarano

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Reminds me of the testers paints that size for 15 cent

I hope that you mean "Testors" because otherwise we are back to those urine samples. :D

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#4 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yes I did , good catch. Thats funny would have been better if i used "testers" on purpose .Is everything that was painted with these also yellow?
John
John Falzarano

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,009 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

My bottles of Testors enamel cost a dime each, last week at a local hobby shop they were $1.79 a piece.. I don't recall using any of the clears shown, but I do have a body I airbrushed with Ulrich red in the early '70s. Its shade hasn't changed color over the years. :)

Bill Fernald

When chemists die, they barium.

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Is everything that was painted with these also yellow?

It is now. These were early urethane products ans unlike today's stuff that's a million times better, the bodies on which Russcoat and other similar products have been applied have yellowed over time, and will continue to darken as time passes...

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#7 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Joe,

Cool stuff...I've never seen the Russ-Coat stuff before. I wonder if they had a line of paints for clear bodies as well ?
Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

No, they did not. Russcoat exists in two versions: the tille brush-on bottle or in spray can. The spray can is a bit rarer.

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

Somewhere I read that Russ-Coat was Jim Russell's very first product and that he discovered it accidently by spilling something on his coffee table and noticing how shinny it was.

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

It was indeed his first product. However the story is slightly different. Excerpt from the new book:

Jim Russell was a business consultant in Los Angeles and had been dabbling with the new hobby since 1959. That year, 34 year old Jim Russell was looking for something to do on a weekend when a friend introduced him to a novel new hobby called slot car racing. Russ, as everyone calls him, was hooked. A visit to Hollywood Raceway, one of the nation’s first commercial slot racing centers, inspired him and friend John Tyler, a hobby shop owner, to build a multi-lane routed track in his den. They used Strombecker cars, modified for higher performance. This was an instant success in the neighborhood, and the need for better parts became obvious. A small accident that dropped some Behr varnish over one of his models convinced Russell to market the polyurethane coating to protect the finish on slot car bodies, so he founded Russkit in November 1963.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop