• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

First pic shows an MRC ENDURA VARIPOWER 1200 controller in the box. Variable from 5-15 ohms. Carried a list price of $11.98 back in the day.

slotblog 133.jpg

Second pic shows the back of the box. Also shown is a modified controller with what I assume ( Don't say it ) is a brake mod. The modded controller belonged to Duane York who was a founding member of the Grumman slot racing team here on L.I.

slotblog 134.jpg

Last pic shows a box I have not seen before. Notice the new lower resistance down to 2 ohms !

slotblog 135.jpg

I believe the modded controller is the one that came in this box. No way for me to verify. Can anyone tell me if the 2 ohmer had any visual difference from the standard? Enjoy.

Joe Lupo

#2 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Just a guess, the slide panel would have 2-5 reference numbers instead of 5-15.

It also would be obvious as to the wound band width on the resistor.

One more, though not visual, "this one doesn't get as hot". :heat:

BTW: Tip, Band, Body is the wrong nomenclature as shown in the instructions for those connectors.
The correct nomenclature is Tip, Ring, Sleeve.
Bob Israelite

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Since this rcvd. only one response I am bumping it to the top for those that did not see it.

Joe Lupo

#4 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I own a fairly nice Varipower but I didn't get it until the mid-1980's. I did get a Cox MK 7 back in the day and I still have it, although I re-wired it with 16ga wire years ago. I also still have my 7.5 ohn MRC that has a bizillion hours of use, yet is a joy to use. The plunger action was the smoothest of any thumb controller, in my opinion. A few years ago I rewired it to hook up to modern tracks and won an FCR race on a Blue King with it, beating out a number of Parma Turbos. I was pretty happy.
Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#5 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi Folks,

I have two of these. One is my Varipower from back in the day, red with the labeled slide switch going down to 5 Ohms. I have no idea if that is accurate. I stopped using it when the Parma (i.e. Russkit) style pistol trigger type came in.

A second yellow Endura (no slider) is one I got in a racer's box time capsule I found in Tenn in the early '90s. The cars, controllers and tools are all from the peak year of '68 when many tracks in the Alabama-Tenn region vanished. The two newest cars illustrate the shift from in-line solid pan chassis to angle winder sprung pan chassis. Frozen in time.

Pete

Pete Shreeves

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

The later ones are marked on the housing for 2 to 5 Ohms. They are pretty scarce in that configuration.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#7 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

I had one of the 5-15 MRC Varipowers.  It replaced an earlier clear yellow controller (which looked something like a one-button mouse), and was used until I got my first Parma Russkit.  I have no idea where it is now, but it was that same red color.

Marcus

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

Electric Dreams Online Shop