Photo

Motor ideas for Florida MySeries GTP class?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

The size of the field for GTP has dropped significantly over the last 3 to 4 years. We need a fix. We are running the ProSlot S16D tagged arms right now and we build the motors. The problem with the field size is blamed on the cost of the motor and that only a few gifted racers can build their own competitive S16D motors. If we had a sealed motor that would be re-builable by the seller, be clearly faster than the Hawk 7, Hawk 6, Falcon 7 motors, and cost less than $30, we might be able to get the racers back into GTP. Does anyone have a solution for us? What do you think?
Dan Dougherty
Back into it after 38 years

#2 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,051 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Pro-Slot S-16-D motors with Chinese arms that have been "Hershman-ized"

#3 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

There really are not many if any options in the 30 buck range. If they are willing to go to 45 bucks..... comes with American arm, they could be allowed to be worked on as long as they use all stock P-S parts...no interchanging of any other brand.
PS-2104 Motor with PS-700 S16D Balanced Armature
$44.95

#4 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Ron, is the PS-2104 a sealed motor? if the motor is not sealed we are back to a motor builders class which we have now and its not working. BTW: I tried to send you a PM, but I think that your PM mail box is full.
Dan Dougherty

#5 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

How much is the Proslot motor with the chinese arm that you can provide? I think that that is the motor that was used before (maybe, I was not in Florida then). They use to use an inexpensive sealed 16D ProSlot motor that had realibility problems which turned the racers away.
Dan Dougherty

#6 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• 10,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Parma S16D - sealed - $14.00

To keep them out - sealed and screwed P/S w/American $45.00

Or a Kamen set-up with a hand wound - $85.00 or more

Go very fast, pretty fast or go kinda fast very cheap.

Bob Isrealite

WARNING:

Collecting ICD-9 Codes can interfere with more enjoyable hobbies.

#7 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Bob, the $85 is out of the question here I would think. The type of racers we are trying to brng back into GTP cant afford $85 for one motor. Ron's suggestion about $45 for a sealed fast motor is a possiblibility. The motor we choose here must be sealed, fast, and rebuildable if we send it back in for $15.

I just now talked to Bill about this and his feedback was that us motor builders (all 6 or 7 of us) do not what our motors ruled obsolete. So, I suggested two GTP classes to him. GTP (for the motor builders with S16Ds like we have today) and GTP Lite which would run a sealed S16D motor that I am trying to identify here in this post. Both clsses would run on the track at the same time, but score points for each class separately.
Dan Dougherty

#8 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• 10,534 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

You can throw the Parma's away for less then a rebuild.

Maybe Dan or Ron can come up with a sealed and screwed motor that can compete dollar for dollar with the Parma. I don't get any kickbacks for promoting Super Deathstars or ProSlots ... but I'll listen...lol.

Reliability shmiablitiy they suck the same for everyone @ $14.00.
Side note: I have run the same one in a weighted down FCR tank Dirt Late model and it is still Fast after using it in lots of races from Nov to April. my car can run with the best, ask them.
I think I finished third or fouth at seasons end and you know how I drive.

BTW: stock brushes and springs for me....we run them at 12 volts.

So.... In a flexi...gear it right, cut back from 13.8 and by-by reliability problem. If the guys are tweaking the comms, have a nice smoke.

The class with in a class is a good idea on paper but IMO it will not work.

Just my opinion ... the fast and slow guys will bitch "those slow cars cost me the race" .... "did you see the fast guy run me over...yup...get a real motor or get off the track". The slow guys will not stay with a slower motor, if they can't afford to step up they will leave.
Believe me...limping around and get blown by is not fun.

Bob Isrealite

WARNING:

#9 Old pink can guy

Old pink can guy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Do the scrra thing. Only TSR motors. Their plenty fast and good for more than one race.
Ken Botts

#10 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

Do the scrra thing. Only TSR motors. Their plenty fast and good for more than one race.

I guess you missed this in the first post??? ;)

"be clearly faster than the Hawk 7, Hawk 6, Falcon 7 motors, and cost less than $30,"

That would also include TSR motors

#11 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

The class was very popular in 2007 & 2008 when we were running the less expensive Pro Slot Super 16D Chinese-armed sealed motors. No issues the first year or so and then we encountered, what some of us believed to be, a batch of bad armatures that would detonate. It was suggested that we were over-gearing the motors, but I never changed the ratio from the previous two years and went through three motors in less than thirty minutes on more than one occasion.

Bill started the move to allow the American-wound Pro Slot 700 & 700B. It solved the reliability issue but resulted in a higher initial outlay and gave the builders a percieved advantage. (I'd argue that the builders actually had a bigger advantage when we were running sealed motors because they tended to know more tricks that were possible without breaking the seals.) Anyhow, when we allowed the 700 and 700B the Genie got out of the bottle and there's no easy way to put it back.

A big reason that the class was so well supported in the Series was that we raced the same cars, following the same rules in Jacksonville, Holly Hill, Hudson and I believe Cocoa as part of the weekly racing program. I believe that's what's missing today. Find a less-expensive motor that turns similar lap times AND get more raceways to run the class on a regular basis, then you'll see the entries in the Series increase.

Bill is echoing my sentiment to avoid making existing motors obsolete. And we probably have at least 6 or 7 (probably more) "builders" in Jacksonville alone as we race the class every-other Saturday night.
Rollin Isbell
Slot Car Raceway & Hobbies
9735 Old St. Augustine Road, #15
Jacksonville, FL 32257

#12 Old pink can guy

Old pink can guy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

I did not miss anything. TSR Scrra motors.
Ken Botts

#13 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Dan and Ron,

How about ProSlot sealed Big Dog motors very fast and I think around 41bucks. You and ProSlot Dan could do the refresh and reseal deals to keep the cost down.

Ken TSR motors are very very slow. I had to run them in a handout race. After the race I beat it flat with a hammer, poured lighter fluid on it and burned it. So I would never be tempted to use it again

#14 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hey guys we run a C-can motor in our GTP class as per OCC rules. the motors were about $35-$55 range depending on what specs they were as far as timing and arm dia.

Karl "H/O Karl" Hoffheins
"Try to put yourself in the other guys shoes"

#15 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

we also run 64 pitch gears most everyone ran 9/36, 10/38, or 11/39

Karl "H/O Karl" Hoffheins
"Try to put yourself in the other guys shoes"

#16 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

Dodge Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

I can't believe this has been brought up again. But if we want to beat a dead horse, then so be it.

The Pro Slot Chinese S16D motor is garbage. You can put all the seals on them, tie the comms on them, they are garbage. They don't last. The Parma S16D is just a dog. If it don't throw a wind, it'll blow the comm. This is one of the reasons the Pro Slot American arm was allowed was because racers were going broke to buy three $15 motors to try to do one race (wow, three $15 Chinese motors that aren't as good as one $45 American Arm motor..think about that). I myself don't want to go through this sealed motor fiasco again as I ran the series in 2008 and 2009 when the top racer in GTP in the state those years was sending his "Sealed S16D Chinese Pro Slots" to a motor refurbisher to get them redone.....that means the seals were coming off, the motor rebuilt..and put back together again with seals. Kind of makes it fair in a sealed motor class huh? How do I know this...the guy told me he was doing it...it was common knowledge it was going on..and nothing was ever done. The also tells me the ethics of the motor refurbisher stink, knowing he was helping someone cheat. Just after the almighty buck I guess.

The Hawk 7 is not a fix. It won't last a race. The quality has gone downhill so bad on that motor, the brushes will be gone by heat #7, or the motor will start two speeding so bad you might as well be going in reverse. Any that I get that are bad motors or blow up in one race are being boxed up and sent back to JK demanding a refund. I can remember when these motors would last a long time and I bragged on them. Now, I don't want to run them in ANY class. I like to finish races thank you very much.

Puppy Dog or Big Dog...forget it. They get too hot and are near the cost ($4-$5) of an out of the bag blueprinted Pro Slot .560 arm "Big Block" S16D that will be competitive right out of the bag on any track in Florida.

The Hawk 6 would be a viable choice as it works well out of the bag, and can pull a GT-1 as well as a Wing Car with no problem. Just have to figure out how to keep it stock armatures to keep the "grey area" racers from sending the arm out to be balanced and tricked up by the motor refurbishers. This motor will run well with a stock arm without all the fancy crap being done. Put a seal on that, allow us to change brushes and springs, and we'll run that. I have no issue.

I suggested a couple of years ago going to a Chinese S16C motor , or going to a Chinese Contender arm motor in a "C" can...that idea was shot down. Still not that expensive and can have seals put on. They elected to keep the Chinese S16D or allow the American Arms. I went to the American arm and haven't looked back. I can build very competitive S16D Big Blocks to race on any track in this state.

I am not going to give up the S16D American arms now. I have too many motors built up plus I have been racing this series for a few years now, more years than the guys now complaining. There aren't that many alternatives out there right now that will compete and last a race without fragging or burning up. If you want the Amateur/Novice class GTP racers to use a Falcon VII, so be it. Specify a gear ratio and tire size and have at it. Expert class which I run in should be left as is and EVENTUALLY phase out the S16D over two seasons. You drop it like a rock in one season and I won't be back and neither will some others. Then what have you gained?

My Series shot themselves in the foot one year when they raised the entry fees to $15 per race. THAT alone drove racers away. The bad economy didn't help a whole lot either, so there is a lot of reasons some classes have dropped off. NASCAR is still popular, and about 80% of the motors are built 16D using the Pro Slot spec arm. I used a Falcon VII in that class myself until I started having problems with motor failures, so now I run 16D's.

Many things can be said about why racers left. No Amateur class NASCAR or GTP is one thing. Everyone has to qualify? I can look back to 2008 and find there were an average of about 24 racers alone in the Amateur NASCAR class. If you had to quality back then it would have been two days of racing.

Maybe we need to go back to Amateur classes in NASCAR and GTP (though there never was one in GTP but should have been). But race owners would have to be the ones that classify their racers as Amateur or Expert, and that's something they could never agree on in the first place. This could be done but qualifying would have to go, otherwise you would be there all day and night trying to get done.

Unfortunately I have never been able to sit in on the rules meetings. Usually its the people going who don't hardly race that get to go. I offer suggestions, sometimes they are taken, sometimes they are scoffed at.

The biggest thing we need is for all the tracks to run MY SERIES class races. Jacksonville is the only track doing so following MY SERIES rules in four classes. Does Bill? Does Kenny? DoesGreg? Hmmmm.....there's your answer. Oh, and the other race tracks MUST encourage racers to attend the races at the other tracks. The last couple of years it's been a couple of racers from Bills track going to other tracks, five or six from Daytona, and six or seven from Jacksonville. The other tracks (granted Miracle Mile closed) havent sent anyone the last two years that I know of. That says a lot right there.
"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#17 W. J. Dougherty

W. J. Dougherty

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

The most logical choice you have with S16ds is to have ProSlot seal their American arm S16d FX motor for you and use that as the designated motor for the class. That motor can then be serviced by ProSlot or Ron based on your coordination just like the PD mini motors. However to be totally fair all other non-ProSlot arms and setups would not be allowed to race. One other optionis to send all your prebuilt motors to Ron to have then certified as legal within a certain spec and then sealed by him. No more motor building or tampering with the seals.

Just a suggestion...
Yortuk & Georg Festrunk

#18 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hello cousin, its good to hear from you.

Mike makes a great point. If the participating raceways would run as weekly races the same car classes that we use in MySeries, the series would draw more drivers. Rollin up in Jacksonville (as Mike points out) is the only raceway that runs the MySeries car classes as weekly races. And it shows when I go up there, Rollin has the best turnout. So for the series to be more successful and more profitable to each raceway, the local tracks should run weekly races having the same car class rules. But its up to the raceway to see the merit of this. It seems obvious to me.

Now if we could convince Kenny and Greg in doing this. Bill was running GT1 and alternated GTP with Group F, but not enough racers show up now at his track on Saturday nites; Bills oval program is king. Kenny has said to me, "why should I stop my guys from wanting to go faster", so he gives in on BBs in GT1 and group F. Then when it comes to the MySeries race, these same guys want to run the BBs, DAH!

Putting together several things I read here and from PMs, for the GTP car class, I think that we need to run two car classes together. The GTP class would be for guys like Mike and several others who build S16Ds. That car class stays the same. Then add the GTP Lite class for the sealed ProSlot S16D motors that can be re-built by Ron or Dan, and then they can re-seal the motor. Driver points are scored for each class. These two motors should run very close together. In this manner, the motor builders can still build motors and not have their equipment made obsolete, and the other racers can be as fast with sealed motor.

I have given up on the fast, reliable, inexpensive motor for GTP because it seems it does not exist. And when i say fast, I mean on par with the built S16Ds that we run today.

In the GTP builders class, how about allowing Hawk 6 motors with the tagged ProSlot fast arm?
Dan Dougherty

#19 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

I did not miss anything. TSR Scrra motors.

What you DID miss (aside from the desire to have a faster motor) is that TSR motors turn the wrong direction to use in a flexi anglewinder chassis.......
So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#20 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Why is the TSR motor being talked about here? Read post #1. We need a motor that is on a par with our built S16Ds or close to it. And as pointed out above, it turns the wrong direction for our flexi-chasses. We have the Falcon 7 running with a built FLA16D in 4" Nascar, and the Hawk 7 in GT1. The next class up in speed is GTP for us here in Florida.

About the TSR, I run these motors in our monthly IRRA GRRR races. They are a good motor and they are on a par with the Falcon 7. They are too slow to run in the GTP class.
Dan Dougherty

#21 Mike Jr

Mike Jr

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have been running the falcon 7 in our B-LITE class and they have been wicked fast but only last approx 3 races. I don`t know what the approx weight of your GT1 cars are but my B-Lite car is around 86 grams. A few years ago we were racing S-1 6-D motors and we never went as fast as using the falcon 7 but the car must be as lite as possible! Just my 2 cents

my home track is Dom`s in NJ
Mike Spisak, Jr

#22 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

That's a tough act...sealed, reliable, and priced at around $30. Doesn't seem like this exists, but certainly the $45-$50 realm seems possible. If they are fast, reliable, and can be rebuilt, that seems to be a decent price range to get everything on your "wish list".

#23 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Mike, thank you for your input. The type of track greatly effects the lap time comparison between a Falcon 7 VS S16D. We are very familar with the Falcon 7, I run that motor quit alot. However, on our 4 tracks here in Florida, a well built S16D will always run lower lap times than a flexi chassis with a Falcon 7; its nite and day difference. My Falcon 7 C11 4" Nascar weighs in at 85 grams RTR. So we are very close on weight.
Dan Dougherty

#24 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

John, yea, it looks like that is the most reasonable approach.
Dan Dougherty

#25 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Bill's track is a lot of fun for GT1 and GTP. Especially since the move a year-or-so ago. I'm surprised that more guys don't show up to race those classes in Melbourne. Although ..... part of it might be the fact that the races are scheduled for Saturday night. Our Saturday crowds have been off a little since school got out as well.

I like the rules in our NASCAR class because the Falcon 7 and the FLA16D give racers a choice that are fairly even. A FLA16D in the hands of a good builder and good driver is faster, but the handling advantage (and coast) of a Falcon 7 tends to even things out. Fact is that a Falcon 7 holds the class record for laps on our track even though a FLA16D holds the lap time record.

I like the rules in our GT1 class with the Hawk 7. I'd entertain adding the Hawk 6 if there was a way to keep the motors stock. Maybe allowing the H6 in Group F is an entry point for that motor.

Regarding going faster ------ Going faster is not always better for a raceway. I believe that close racing with multiple winners and very few rule changes is what keeps guys coming back. That's why we almost always split our racers into to two or three races in GT1 and NASCAR. That way more people go home having either Won or felt like they had a chance to Win.

A lot of racers are on a tight budget. Constant rule changes or allowing new products just because they're" new" and/or faster might be good short-term for the cash register, but I believe that it hurts the business in the long-term because racers get frustrated and quit. If I raced at a raceway where I built a competitive car to today's rules and then a few weeks later I'm told that I really need different pitch gears to win and a few weeks later I'm told that I really need ball bearings to win and a few weeks later I'm told that I really need this new trick body to win and a few weeks later I'm told that I really need these new special tires to win, then at some point I look at the budget and decide to do something else. It gets frustrating to try to hit a constantly moving target.
Rollin Isbell
Jacksonville, FL 32257

#26 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• 10,534 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Maybe allowing the H6 in Group F is an entry point for that motor.

Regarding going faster ------ Going faster is not always better for a raceway.

A lot of racers are on a tight budget.

It gets frustrating to try to hit a constantly moving target.

Right on!

Bob Isrealite

WARNING:

#27 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

Dodge Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

What I would like to see happen in MY SERIES for upcoming races.

I would like stock Hawk 6's allowed in both GT-1 and Group F. Seals can be purchased by the raceways and applied by the track owners on the motors allowing the racers to change springs and brushes only. For about $22 we get a motor that will run several races on a state level before having to be rebuiilt, and it will be competitive off the wall. Don't believe me, I have a GT-1 and a Group F that both have Hawk 6's put in at the same time in January. Both have the same Koford Springs and Gold Dust Pro brushes that were put in at that time. The Group F just ran in a race on our track and turned 235 laps. My Hawk 6 in the GT-1 has about four races on it, when I get to run on Wednesday nights, and when I put it on the track last Saturday, turned a sub 4.3 second time on its second lap out of my box, very competitive I would say.

As far as allowing the motors to be sent out to be rebuilt. NO. If you are going to pay $15 to send it off to have that done, just buy another sealed Hawk 6 and set of brushes and springs and you have a new motor. Lets keep the reconditioners out of this. Like I said, I know what happened before, and it's just not fair for everyone. I guess I should be more trusting, but I have to be given a reason to do so.

If we want to phase in a new motor over the next two years in GTP, then lets do so in that fashion, and not all at once. If you want to keep it low cost, again the Hawk 6 would work here without going to the expense of a S16D American arm. But allow those of us that have American S16D arms to use them up first before changing.

I will not buy any more Hawk 7 motors to run GT-1 in the My Series Races, nor will I run one in Group F. If the owners choose to stay with the Hawk 7 only, I will not run those classes, I have better things to do with my money. Better yet I'll just lay $14 on the counter and light it with a match...that's about the equivalent of running a Hawk 7 now.

Right now, allowing ball bearings in the S16D can end, and the 16D can end, are a good thing. They do help the motor and gear mesh. But we don't need them in GT-1 motors or Group F motors. We don't need axle bearings in those classes either. If you want to get that carried away, run a Box 12.

My two cents....
"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#28 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Worth at least .05
Rollin Isbell
Jacksonville, FL 32257

#29 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Mike, my comment above about Kenny allowing BBs, that was the axle ball bearing not the motor.
Dan Dougherty

#30 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

Dodge Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

Doc, I know this but it would only be a natural progression till that happened. The owner in question would certainly want to go that
route. Him and his three racers.

Electric Dreams Online Shop