67 replies to this topic

#51 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

I would like to add another personal happening that relates to this topic, I think.

A few years ago I had a portable track made, bought a trailer and took the show on the road for the summer. Went to three stock car tracks in the area, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I outfitted the cars with local driver's cars and Late Model Bodies. No one had a green car at the time, so the green lane was the R-Geo car.

We did this all summer and made some money at it. Kept the slow store open yadda yadda yadda.

I had flyers printed up with facts about slot racing, had pictures in the leaflet, etc. The flyers were on a table with other products for people to view (which brings up another advertising tip I learned, which I will type at the bottom).

I never got one single person in the store or picked up one single customer from this venue. ZILCH! That was surprising to me.

TIP: When you print up things for people to pick and read, make them 4 by 5 CARDS and not 8 by 10 pieces of paper. The card will get slipped into their pocket and found later, the flyer on 8 X 10 gets crumpled up and finds its way to the nearest trash can or on the ground. Cards are much cheaper to print; you do them 4 up.
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#52 zebm1

zebm1

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Just for kicks, could someone post a pic or two of what yall are discussing. Tha only slot-racing magazine I get is "Model Car (35) Racing" and I don't think I've ever seen a "wing" car in its pages. Soooo, purty please, post a pic. :search:

#53 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,497 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Here you go, Zeb. This car was able to turn sub-2 second lap times on a King track.

(Photo lifted from OWH's 2006 Nats coverage, via a link from Swiss's Chicagoland Raceway website.)

Attached Images

• wingcar.jpg

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#54 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Actually, the record is 1.4" and change. Crazy stuff!

#55 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,497 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I know. But not every wing car can do that.

The car shown is Connie Aloise's (imagine that, a woman!) which won Concours in Pro Group 7 at the 2006 USRA Nats at Chicagoland Raceway. She did not transfer out of the D quarterfinal, finishing 5th. Her best race time was 1.941 secs on orange, and she had no qualifying time.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#56 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I know this will be a litle of topic, BUT if that car won the Concours Award, that paint job would have not even gotten a second glance when people that used to submit gorgeous creatures...
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#57 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,736 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

Yes, Bob Hughes was the man! :D :D

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#58 zebm1

zebm1

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

Hmmmm, now I know why I've never seen cars like that in my mag subscription. Looks like a sub-sonic streamlined electric motor (how small would that driver have to be to fit under that canopy)? For that matter, why even put in a facsimilie of a driver? Personally, not my cup of tea, which is why I like these new digital two-lane tracks, it's not how fast you are, it's how smart you are that counts more.

When I get my home track built, with the new software, I'm toying with a realism rule. If you deslot and don't hit a barrier, track marshall hits ESC, and you reslot. But, if you hit a barrier, in the pits and a one-lap penalty. If you roll over, your day is done. Just an idea, that reflects minature realism. Two-lane switch tracks won't need overpasses to equalize tha lanes, unless you run a four-lane switch track... which would be what... hmmmm 12 to 16 cars? Yummy... :yahoo: :yahoo:

#59 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,736 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:40 AM

Hmmmm, now I know why I've never seen cars like that in my mag subscription.

Zeb, you're not reading the right mags! :beach: Probably no food or pinups in them either.

Bill Fernald

#60 Slapshot

Slapshot

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

I'm no historian but I have raced wing or air cars. I started back racing in the late '70s to '80s. The blossom years for air control slot cars. The first infusion of stiff .007-.010 thou thick high side dams, the cars had multiple names depending on your region. Most called them air cars. Short for "air control". Some called them "side dam cars". Some just "open cars" inferring the air control. At first the side dams were not as flexible and ran straight up or ridged.

The first inclinations or rumors I heard about were from the Bay and Texas areas simutaneously. Who came up with term is vague.
As I said at first air control came into effect as thicker Lexan cut straight horizontally across at about a height of 2-1/2" to almost 3". Then I believe California/National Pro USRA put limitation on the height. Also allowed at that time were front mylar front diaplaine spoilers. (OK cowcatchers). Rear spoilers were a natural addition but thicknes changed as racer went through the learning curve. Also speaking of curve the angle and adding steps in the rear spoiler changed as the rear spoiler got thinner.

That came at the same time there was another minor change to thinner .005 to .007 thick Lexan which made the side dams work in another way.

When the car was in the slower portion of the track or entering corners the side dams were straight up. This forced a lot of air over the car channeling it so it could corner faster and stay in the slot. Then when reaching or punching the straights the side dams flattened down horizontal to the track due to their flexibility. That allowed the car to accellerate changing the amount drag on the straight plus changing the balance of downforce front and rear. That change either introduced or was a natural action of trimming the front portion at an slight tapering angle from the front to approximately to the middle of the car so they would not drag on the track. The USRA then adopted this rule and used a specific template and dimensions.

It wasn't till a much later time that the name "wing car" came about. It was an inferred name from the fact of using thinner side dams that flattened down and up, looking like wings. The flapping up and down of the air dams gave the nickname wings. Nicknamed butterflys also. There was a time they were also called flutter cars as the side dam material went thinner to .004-003 thou Lexan. The sound was distinctive with thinner side dams. That is, until they started taping the front 3/4 inch portion of the side dams with clear packing tape to stiffen the front dam portion wile keeping the rest thinner.

Lee Gilbert in later years took air control further by cutting out the middle portion with a vertical U type circular cut allowing the air to spill out and the air control to flex further and work independently - different front and rear. The U cut-out was approximatly where the front taper just ended.

Everyone should remember the famous photo that Joel "Camen" took with high speed photography. Remember the Camen car photo with the wings fattend down. It ended up on the cover Scale Auto Racing Aug 87 slot car magazine......

Flutter or air or dam cars didn't catch on but wings was shortened and today that's what they were called and I believe that was in the later 80"s to beginning of the 90's. Until then they were just called Opens or Gr27 ect.

The name I believe clicked as Scale and Eurosport raceing was being adopted in the USA to differentuate the classes.

Raymond

Raymond Batchelor

#61 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

Thank you, Raymond! :thank_you2:

That is exactly the information I wanted. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#62 Larry LS

Larry LS

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Of course, some just call them door stops. No end of names for them it seems. :cray: :dance4: :rofl:
Larry Shephard
1937-2011
Requiescat in Pace

#63 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,736 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

Why is it that racers of scale cars get openly critical of wing cars while you almost never see it the other way around? :scratch_one-s_head: I've never found a person with a good answer yet. :search: This seems like more of the kettle calling the pot black. :bomb: I've run both and while each has its differences when compared with the other, both types are fun to run. :yahoo:

Bill Fernald

#64 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

I was present the night at Speed & Sport (The Granlee track) when Dave Fortner, Bob Bernhard, Neil Kuhns and Art Tarver were goofing around with huge strips of lexan attached to the sides of their cars. Little did I suspect that this would lead to some people quitting racing way back then, for that I have offered Dave & Neil (wives too) a steak dinner in Tucson next time I'm down there. Anyhow many of you will remember S&S was a blast to be at in the old days, I had many good times there in spite of a buddy twice my size keeping me civil among certain know it all types.

Jesse Gonzales

• Jairus and miko like this

#65 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Jesse, my son, in the Army & his family live in Sierra Vista. I was last out there in 2016.

Bill Fernald

#66 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

There is a lot to see & do in Sierra Vista, no slot car tracks though. Be sure and make the trek to Tombstone and Bisbee while you are down there, I hear there is a track in Bisbee.

#67 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

I went to Tombstone & Bisbee when I was there in 2016 & enjoyed both. I didn't notice any tracks in Bisbee while there, other than the mining car tracks, but then I wasn't looking for slot cars either. My grandsons are 9 & 11, so if one exists, they would both enjoy it.

Bill Fernald

#68 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Dave Fortner's son lives in Sierra Vista, I'll ask Dave to investigate next time we talk.

Jesse

Electric Dreams Online Shop