23 replies to this topic

#1 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Attention all racers,

It has come up in talk around Buena Park Raceway that the upcoming big January race, The Checkpoint Cup, might have it's name changed. I would like your opinion because I believe there are a lot of good reasons to keep the name, since this is the PREMIER RETRO RACING EVENT on many Retro racers calendars all over the world, and since it does honor one of the premier '60s racing teams, Team Checkpoint, and symbolized for many of us the Golden Era of Racing, with such greats as Steube, Cukras, Schmid, Warmack, Anderson, Gorski and others still racing to this day!

Who can forget some of the great races at the Checkpoint Cup? It is like LeMans or Indy, you just have to be there if you were anyone in the '60s , or if you are someone today...

Some have pointed out that they do not wish the connotation of the former D3, or the man behind Team Checkpoint, but I believe that the Checkpoint Cup at Buena Park Raceway is symbolistic of Chris and Lenore, all the great customer-racers, and all of us who have had a hand in making it a great race participating, racing, volunteering and just being there...

Please post here your own feelings.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#2 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

This thread had already been started --- And I agree that it's representative of a LOT of Retro racing History!! I'd love to see the name stay "Check Point Cup" as it points to the roots of Retro and Chris and Lenore at Buena Park Raceway. It started as D3---but it's grown and continued to thrive with the current SCRRA Group--Check Point Cup should be here to stay!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#3 Ron Hershman

Ron Hershman

Grand Champion Poster

• 22,051 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

From a outsider's "view"... to me when I see the name Checkpoint Cup it first reminds me of Bill Steube... Bill S was "Checkpoint" there is no denying that.

Second, this was D3's largest race of the year

Third it was always held at BPR.

So as things change over the years... new org, new owners at BPR... the Checkpoint Cup remains the same... the same tradition... with all the memories past, present, and future wrapped together.

Change the name and it just becomes another race with a new name with different people involved with a new organization running it.

Keep the name as is and it includes the past, present in future all wrapped together.

The past and the memories (good and bad) are tied to the Checkpoint Cup.

#4 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Keep the name. :diablo:
Howie Ursaner

#5 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

I'am not a west coast racer. For what it is worth I have to agree with Ron.

Well said Mr Hershman But it is you guys show. Just my 2 cents

GVP
Greg VanPeenen
12/4/49-4/17/24
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Old pink can guy

Old pink can guy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

The name should not change. Too much history.
Ken Botts

#7 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

Keep the name. Retro racers across the country know that it is a major west coast race event. Change the name and you lose the notoriety regardless of how the name came about, who the past racers are and what legends led up to the naming of the first race.

Would you change the name of the World Series, Super Bowl, US Open, Masters just because owners or particpants changed? Certainly not if you wanted to continue the same following and successful participation the event experienced in the past.....

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#8 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

Leave it alone. :)
Ron Thornton

#9 ravajack

ravajack

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well, it seems that Nesta have succeeded — again!
Bertil Berggren
Overseas Observer

#10 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

Keep the name of "The Checkpoint Cup". It's like changing the Indy 500, Daytona 500. The Sano, The R4, or The Fall Brawl. you just
don't change a GREAT tradition. It's good publicity for an event to have a popular name. It increases attendence and attention.
People see a post for The Checkpoint Cup and they will look at it change the name and even I'll probably skip by the posts.

Keep it simple and let the name live on in a great tradition! Mike Steube was the one who got all this rolling and Checkpoint is
one of the ultimate legendary Retro names know in slot racing. It's also a tribute to Chris and his great legendary history of BPR Raceway.

Checkpoint Cup or Bust!!

John Gorski

Posted Image
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#11 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi, Mill,

Thanks a lot for starting this thread.

I would appreciate it if the Big Race in January, 2013, at BPR is held as the Checkpoint Cup.

Haruki
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#12 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Mike Steube made "sano" a term that stuck. So the Sano race being a major event is tied to the annual Checkpoint race @ BP. No reason to change the name. Western States was the Chris Gallegos memorial race, but now Western Classic. Far as the original cup itself, who has charge of that?
Mark Wampler
?/?/1950-3/8/22
Requiescat in Pace

#13 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I agree with all... keep the same name: The Checkpoint Cup.
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#14 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well it seems in the new tradition of the SCRRA to "listen to the racers"---the racers have SPOKEN!!! :clapping: :victory: :good:

#15 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

The continuation of a name provides continuity in an evolving hobby. If a race is the progeny of a “name” race then by all means keep the "name".

HOWEVER:

In the current world of Trademarks and Intellectual Property a "name" has value. The ownership and rights to that name should be verified before it is used.

This from an interested bystander who saw lawyers brought in to decide who could use the name "Tristate".
Bob Schlain

#16 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

The Checkpoint Cup...

The race name that actually whetted my dulled appetite for slots and started me thinking about picking up a controller again. It conjured up great forgotten images and brought back many, many excellent memories. It made me want to come visit to see what all the fuss was about in retro.

Checkpoint, the name is synonymous with the boom times of SoCal racing, the epitome of of competitiveness. Of all the teams and businesses from "back in the day", that is one name that has stood at the top the longest. Yes, there were many other fine winders, builders, racers, and teams, but only the one had everything, in aces, for the longest.

I can understand using "Western Classic" as a fine replacement for the "Western States", the retro race needed to be differentiated from the open air cars and HO races of the same name. Plus it sets a style, retro, for the cars.

So John, please keep the CPC name. It really has become one of the premier retro races, with recognition not only in the USA, but world wide. And it is The name that is most closely associated with SoCal and boom years.

thanks,

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#17 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Tom and other's so elegantly make the "Point"!! And YES--he races every Check Point Cup! So why discount their opinion just because they've traveled to make it to the "PREMIER" west coast retro race?? There's a GREAT Perpetual Trophy at BPR also--with LOT'S of great racing names on it!! That's worth keeping too!!

#18 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Zippity. Pretty clear point. Are you traveling to BPR in Jan 2013 to race in the Checkpoint race?
Just wondering. It would be nice to meet you and possibly race with you. Hows that? Clear enough?
Tom Eatherly

#19 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Tom,

My apologies. I thought that you were someone else taking a low dig at me :)

Alas, I won't be coming over your way again soon. Unless of course I win Lotto.

I had the immense pleaseure of meeting with both Chris and Lenore when I visited their raceway in 2002 - hence my interest in the CC.
Ron Thornton

#20 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Ron, not a problem. Be good. But, I sure would like to trout fish over there sometime. It just looks like the Eastern Sierra's here where I hang out sometimes. Gotta love those dang trout!
Tom Eatherly

#21 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

The Checkpoint Cup.......

The race name that actually whetted my dulled appetite for slots and started me thinking about picking up a controller again. It conjured up great forgotten images and brought back many, many excellent memories. It made me want to come visit to see what all the fuss was about in retro.

Checkpoint, the name is synonymous with the boom times of SoCal racing, the epitome of of competitiveness. Of all the teams and businesses from "back in the day", that is one name that has stood at the top the longest. Yes, there were many other fine winders, builders, racers, and teams, but only the one had everything, in aces, for the longest.

I can understand using "Western Classic" as a fine replacement for the "Western States", the retro race needed to be differentiated from the open air cars and HO races of the same name. Plus it sets a style, retro, for the cars.

So John, please keep the CPC name. It really has become one of the premier retro races, with recognition not only in the USA, but world wide. And it is Thee name that is most closely associated with SoCal and boom years.

thanks,

Well said Tom and others..... loose the name ......loose respect!
I think it's up to Buena Park and know one else....

KEEP THE NAME THE SAME!
THERE IS ONLY 1 CHECKPOINT CUP AND IT'S AT BPR!

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#22 Phil Worthy

Phil Worthy

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

John the Jet and the board of advisers, please do not change the name of the Checkpoint Cup. How many races have this much history? The race was there before D3, and the D3 use of it is now just part of history. To change the name would result in a loss of prestige and the whole connection with past, not just the short time it was used by D3. Could John or a BOA member explain why this break with past is being considered?

#23 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

Gentlemen - ENOUGH!!!

Moderators - please close this thread and censure someone for a period!!
Ron Thornton

#24 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Ron,

The action that is being taken is well beyond what you suggest. I try to moderate with scalpel but it's time to bring out the machete.

The long Nesta saga is coming to an end at Slotblog. He's been banned multiple times and restricted in just about every posible way over HALF A DECADE, but nothing has worked.

As of right now, Bela "Nesta" Szabo AKA 68Caddy is PERMANENTLY banned from Slotblog, with no chance of ever returning.

And anyone emailing or PMing me to plead for his return is probably going to be banned as well. Gentleman, I have totally had it with Nesta's posting practices (and that is the sole reason for his banning BTW) as have many, many respected Slotblog members. To reiterate, Slotblog receives more complaints about Nesta's posts than all other members combined and that is a situation that cannot continue to be tolerated.

The Nesta's World subforum has been deleted and the posts in this thread with references to threads there have been edited to remove them.

John Cukras, you need to find someone else to post SCRRA race reports, please.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop