• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

I am just trying to build up a Dynamic #506 motor bracket with a Pittman DC65A-6 motor, and I'm looking for advise on the initial setup. I tried to research the motor and although the box was labeled DC65A-6, 6V and the motor is stamped 6V on the end frame, it has 14 laminations (not 17) , so does anyone know if this could be the .... DC65X, the last incarnation of this motor? In the Jan 64 Car Model, it looks like they are recommending a 4.5-1 gear ratio for road race circuit and 3-1 for drag racing. In the Dynamic chassis the wheel diameter needs to be more than 7/8" but the highest gear ratio I can achieve is 4.2-1 using a 42 spur with a 10 pinion, otherwize the spur will be bigger than the wheel. The tracks this will be run on, are a home set with a 12 ft. straight or a commercial track with a 40 ft. straight. Since it appears that the pinion must be soldered on ? I'm trying to determine what a good pinion # would be to start . At this stage I am trying 1" wheels and 10t pinion with 42 spur, has anyone some experience with this particular set up ? I am not even sure if this will be for 1/32 or 1/24 scale but it is a start.

#2 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Gary, going with Weldun 64 pitch gears as shown on the car below may help. This allows more teeth on the spur and you can then go with a smaller overall diameter.

slotblog 165.jpg

Joe Lupo

#3 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've never seen the voltage stamped on a Pittman motor. Sure it's not a Kemtron that often did have the voltage stamped into a brass plate?
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#4 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Here's one of my 65's 6 volt fresh from the package. It has 17 laminations and is ink stamped 6V. I'm not sure what your 14 lamination motor is. I'd love to see a pic :)

Posted Image

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#5 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

I will try to take some close-ups but I have not been too successful with my camera. However, this article from the Independent Scratch Builder and specifically the paragragh I copied seems to indicate that the motor I have with 14 laminations may be the DC65X despite the fact I got it in the same box as you have shown. If it is the "X" then the setup may be a bit different than the 65A-6

http://www.theindepe...an X-Motors.htm

Likewise the DC-65A-6 and DC-65X; they both have 17/32" diameter 6 volt 5 slot (pole) armatures with no timing or balancing, however, the DC-65A-6 has a magnet field consisting of 17 thin laminations, while the DC-65X has 14 thicker laminations, identical to the DC-65A. This appears to be the only difference.

#6 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,798 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Gary, I just took a new 65A-12V out of the box and it indeed does have 14 laminations. I always "assumed" that Pittman's "X" was an early designation for the low voltage versions of their motors. Later they just called out the motors voltage, for example "DC65-6" instead of "DC65X".

Sooooo.....maybe you do have an early "X" version with the 14 laminations of the 12 volt setup and the 6 volt arm????

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#7 Jeff Buyer

Jeff Buyer

On The Lead Lap

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have two cars setup with the 6 volt Pittman 65 (both are the thin lamination motors), both in a dynamic chassis. One is geared 15/52 using 64 pitch Weldun gears and 15/16" tires; the other is geared 12/40 using 48 pitch gears and 1" tires. Both cars are hardbody racers in 1/24 scale and run on my home track at 10 volts. Both cars run really well and are competative with my Kemtron powered hardbody racers. Hope that helps you.
5/17/53-4/17/23
Requiescat in Pace

#8 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. Here are some shots, the 6V ink stamp can be seen behind the axle, on the end frame. Hopefully it is clear enough to count the 14 lams. This 10-42 gear is the highest possible ratio so I will have to see if it runs out of steam at the end of the straightaway.

Attached Images

• P1010088.JPG
  • P1010085.JPG
  • P1010089.JPG

#9 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Great info.

More of this Dynamic please.... love the Running Man.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#10 gluebomb

gluebomb

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Yeah Gary, build this up already !

Simon Wing

#11 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

Yes the running man was something I saw in one of the old slot car magazines, showing a method of fixing figures to the race track scenery using straight pins . Using a straight pin, tap it into the ground be it wood or cork or whatever, cut the length so a bit is sticking out and drill the leg from underneath the figure with a small bit. Then place the figure on the straight pin. I tried to push the limit with my running man.

#12 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:03 PM

But ..... Which 'runs' better? :clapping:

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

Electric Dreams Online Shop