• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Before everyone gets upset, this is not a bitch. But having seen this process done at other races and worked well. It is something that can be used in this Series. We had several very close finishes at WSC and over the years. We need to consider a better way of tracking finishing positions on the track. Yes recording with results by sections should continue. But a Race offical should be marking positions on the track with a lane sticker or other device. For finishing sit out positions and race finish. This would end any question on close finishes between different heats. Anyone around the country that uses such a method chime in. We talked at the race about taking pictures of each car at the finish but the would be time consuming to sort through pictures for results.
GallerymanDan

#2 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

So I guess everyone is fine with the system we use now. 93 views and not one reply from a Board member. They are to busy biotch slapping each other in the warm up thread. Another case of I'm in charge and you are questioning me? :dash2:
GallerymanDan

#3 Dennis Krivacek

Dennis Krivacek

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Dan.....not ignoring you.....honest.
You raise a valid point.
At first blush, my thought is that although noting "section" finish may not be the
"cleanest" method, it is most likely the easiest method. Should racers from different
heats be tied for laps and sections, then they would be rewarded with the same number of points.
There's a lot going on throughout the day for those orchestrating the races.
AND.... I'm only speaking about the P-O races. The question may be VERY valid for the premier
events. Having only attended one of those, I don't recall how this was handled.

#4 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

The spot the car stopped or finished is recorded by sections with the lap totals{ being done now}. Also either remove the lane sticker from the car write the drivers name on it and place it at the spot where it finished on the side wall. Or when the heats are determined racers names can be written on mailing labels. At the end of the heat, an offical places the label at the finishing point on the track sidewall. The Penn Ohio is the premier Series in the country and we should lead and set standards for the others.
GallerymanDan

#5 Captain

Captain

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think writing the names on the lane sticker and placing on the side wall might make the most sense and take up the least amount of time......
Steve Ploskunak

#6 Dennis Krivacek

Dennis Krivacek

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Of late, there have been some great suggestions!!!!!
On this one, I agree with Steve and IF a change is made that would make the most sense.
In general, I am opposed to making changes in the midst of a season.
Just opens a can of worms. Personally, I'd rather write down suggestions and
consider them for subsequent years.
  • Dan Ebert likes this

#7 slick in the slot

slick in the slot

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

do races frequently end in such close finishes? maybe divide the sections into halfs or quarter measurements?????
Gil Pataky

#8 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

We have had quite a few lately. In some case racers were in the same heat. At the FCR Nats, one offical was reponsible for following the cars coming out of sit outs and marking the spot. He/she also at the end of heats/mains would remove the lane sticker, write the racers name on it. Than place it on the track inside wall at the spot where it finished. Plus of course it was recorded by section with the lap totals. By placing the sticker on the track. It removed any doubt of where the car stopped at the finish. So ties or the question of who was just a bit farther ahead was eliminated. Yes it takes a little work, but at this level of racing it should be done.
GallerymanDan

#9 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Since I brought this up. I would gladly pitch in to do this during F1 races or heats when I am not racing.
GallerymanDan

Electric Dreams Online Shop