• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Just don't see this one every day. The SC-100 in Blue is not that common. A little rarer in the plated version. Came in a plain box although I don't know why. End of the craze maybe. Dig the discounted price on top :shok: I can assure you I paid a little more than that.

The plated version came with the deluxe wheels and spinners in chrome. Honestly, if I was a kid at the time I probably would have passed on this type of car especially plated. In the box is a fact filled instruction sheet, buyers questionaire and the brake parts. MPC seemed very proud of this creation and are quite bubbly in their description. Never saw another in this condition ( not been to Scott's place yet :) ) Enjoy

slotblog 222.jpg

slotblog 223.jpg

slotblog 224.jpg
  • endbelldrive likes this

Joe Lupo

#2 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

80 views and no comments? Perhaps it's not such an interesting car as I thought :bomb:

Joe Lupo

#3 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

OK, I will comment!

I look forward to every one of your daily history lessons, they are very informative. Sometimes, though, the subject matter is more of academic interest to me, so while it is good to read, I don't have the knowledge to add anyhting relevant to the conversation.

in this case, no wonder the cars did not sell, in a plain box like that! I guess you are right about it being towards the end of the craze.

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Great looking car Joe, and I tried to get it too (thinking nobody else would be paying attention... right!). 

But as Dennis says, there's not always something constructive to add - and I think we've already had a thread on the SC-100. 

It is rather a fascinating one though - wonder if the plain white box was factory packaging? 

$1.49.... arghhhh

Don 

#5 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I didn't comment because I pretty much agreed with your sentiments.

While we can look back at these things with hindsight and see a great piece, I also wouldn't have looked twice at it as a kid.

It looks very toy like compared to the likes of Cox and others.

It wouldn't have been cheap to make either, so I wonder if they sold enough to make any profit.

Please keep 'em coming Joe, they are great to see.

Yeah $1.49 :shok:

Steve King

#6 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Not only would I have not looked at it twice as a kid, at my first slot car show around 1985 there was a dealer with a case of NOS Dyno-SC-100 (blue) cars in the display boxes for $5.00 each and I didn't buy even one. Not even for parts. I had a used chassis and it barely ran on my Eldon track so I passed on these. Later I did end up finding a boxed one and the original price of these was $12.95 which was more than most other slot cars in it's day. The blue cars came with the body seperate and a fully assembled chassis next to it in the box, with the brake installed. Only the body was visable throught the window box. These came with blue two pronged knock offs on eack wheel , without inserts. I see the chrome ones have the later turbine inserts and three prong knock offs, as used on most of the later cars.Maybe that is their first appearance. I heard the chrome ones were made for Sears department stores and were called the Sears SC-100. The reason I didn't comment at first was I was still kicking myself for not buying these at that first show!!!

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Don't kick yourself too hard Gary, we've all done stuff like that! Just part of the learning process...

Here's the page from the Sears Summer 66 catalog with the chromed version. Only $9.88 here, pretty much in line with the others, but given the obsolete motor and chassis, and the kind of corny body, can't see many of these being sold...

SearsSummer66-2.jpg

Don

#8 Gene/ZR1

Gene/ZR1

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Here is the Chrome SC100 with decals #555,decal on the nose says Sears, plus 2 blue versions in the original boxes.

G;

">http://DSC01209.jpg

">http://DSC01207.jpg

Eldon Adams AKA Gene/ZR1
ZR1 Corvette owner
Hand-carved balsa bodies, resin body plugs, silicone molds, vacuum bodies
Genes_World@ymail.com

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,491 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

This chrome version of the SC100 in that plain box is likely part of a promotional issue and must have been produced at the same time as other MPC "chrome" cars such as the Pontiac GTO, Lola T70 and others. I would say, mid 1966. We have seen at least one other MPC car in that box, I believe a chromed Scarab.
MPC history is full of little mysteries...
The SC100 was originally designed by Harry Bradley and the full-size car built for Sears promotions.

#10 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Fantastic info :victory:

This is the reason I started the History thing. Great knowledge and memories. Don, you must have one Hell of a slot Library! Great stuff showing the catalog. Didn't mean to "steal" this one away. Went way over my high bid limit I set when I first saw it. Bought the stupid thing anyway.

Gene, thanks too for that bizarre Sears version which I never knew existed, and Gary I can tell 2 or 3 thousand stories about the one that got away. After all, my Uncle was a subcontractor for Aurora :dash2:

Dokk, a pic of the Chrome Scarab would be outstanding.

Steve,Dennis, any comments or memories are always welcome in this section.

So many great and knowledgeable people here.

This Blog is the Friggin' Bomb :good:

Joe Lupo

#11 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

This chrome version of the SC100 in that plain box is likely part of a promotional issue and must have been produced at the same time as other MPC "chrome" cars such as the Pontiac GTO, Lola T70 and others. I would say, mid 1966. We have seen at least one other MPC car in that box, I believe a chromed Scarab.
MPC history is full of little mysteries...
The SC100 was originally designed by Harry Bradley and the full-size car built for Sears promotions.

On the box it says "Body By Baughman"

#12 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

This model bears a striking similarity to a model kit issued by Lindberg in the early 1960's , which was called the GT 200 . This was a 1/24 scale kit.

Later on in the early 1970's another similar Lindberg kit called the Diamond Duster was issued in 1/12 scale and re-issued again recently.

#13 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,491 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Gary,

Same car...  :)

I guess Lindberg did not have the license!

#14 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

After all, my Uncle was a subcontractor for Aurora :dash2:

Joe,

Want to hear some Daily History on this what did he do for Aurora??

Did not mean to change topic, Thats what you wanted for Christmas pennys on a dollar $1.49 who knew?

Thanks for all this history keep it coming maybe we don`t comment but we are reading for sure.

SJJ

John Falzarano

Electric Dreams Online Shop