• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

It was known as Paul's Raceway and was owned by Paul Duckett.  Despite comments to the contrary the track did not close the very next day.  It was open for another year or so.  The reports of it being in a rundown part of downtown were however accurate....very much so.

For those that are curious, the track was a Purple Mile (American Raceways Sovereign), cut down from 220' to about 180'-190' by removing one finger.  That made it into something like an oversize American Red track.  Here's a pic of an unmodified Purple (note the elongated donut):

post-130-054726300%201285041217.jpg

I attempted to race as a semi-pro, but simply couldn't get a car to consistently navigate the main straightaway.  It would frequently lift out of the slot partway down.  The bank had a mismatch between the two middle sections, causing the braid to lift out of the recess in that area - resulting in a short circuit with sparks every time my car went over that part of the track.  Those were just a couple of the problems with the track, I won't go into all the other more minor issues.

I was so bummed out by my total lack of any success, I just pulled my car and decided to spectate the rest of the race program.  I'd previously had decent results racing in Ohio, but I left this one with a sour taste in my mouth.  Bleck!  :bad:

Dave "Hermit" Jones

My father's sole piece of political advice:  "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you need to change them often."

#52 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,381 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

It was a horrible race and horrible track.

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#53 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

I think Gilbert wore the same clothes for YEARS! Great shots of that, uh event.

As a side note, always liked talking and racing with Bogut. Good guy.

Tom Eatherly

Electric Dreams Online Shop