66 replies to this topic

#51 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

It was known as Paul's Raceway and was owned by Paul Duckett.  Despite comments to the contrary the track did not close the very next day.  It was open for another year or so.  The reports of it being in a rundown part of downtown were however accurate....very much so.

For those that are curious, the track was a Purple Mile (American Raceways Sovereign), cut down from 220' to about 180'-190' by removing one finger. That made it into something like an oversize American Red track. Here's a pic of an unmodified Purple (note the elongated donut):

post-130-054726300%201285041217.jpg

I attempted to race as a semi-pro, but simply couldn't get a car to consistently navigate the main straightaway.  It would frequently lift out of the slot partway down.  The bank had a mismatch between the two middle sections, causing the braid to lift out of the recess in that area - resulting in a short circuit with sparks every time my car went over that part of the track.  Those were just a couple of the problems with the track, I won't go into all the other more minor issues.

I was so bummed out by my total lack of any success, I just pulled my car and decided to spectate the rest of the race program.  I'd previously had decent results racing in Ohio, but I left this one with a sour taste in my mouth.  Bleck!  :bad:

Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

#52 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

It was a horrible race and horrible track.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#53 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

I think Gilbert wore the same clothes for YEARS! Great shots of that, uh event.

As a side note, always liked talking and racing with Bogut. Good guy.

• Jesse Gonzales likes this
Tom Eatherly

#54 elvis44102

elvis44102

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Went to the race with Dan Bloodworth, Dave Simerka, and maybe Bob Kurkowski, with Simerka's father driving us the whole way... none of us had a real car and i didn't have a license.

Built at least four cars for race, none of which worked well... stayed up most of the night building more with same result... at some point one just gave up and watched the race!

The thing that sticks out, besides the railroad track, was that the entire town was a one-way street and it took a long drive to get to the other side of the street..

It was the first time i heard the donut referred to as the bagel (eastcoast thing?).

John Wisneski

#55 Jesse Gonzales

Jesse Gonzales

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Lee Gilbert wore practical clothes for the day, with so much glue on the track and all of us it just didn't make sense to dress nicely. Billy Steube always looked presentable though but he had a team to take care of the grubby stuff. Bogut looked well dressed, too.

Jess Gonzales

Speed & Sport Recollections from the old days.

#56 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

I did not attend that race, but my friend Dan O'neil drove out from Quincy, MA. I think Springfield was the place where he said the whole building shook every time a train went by.

• elvis44102 likes this
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#57 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

That’s the place. A real **** hole. Went out of business right after the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#58 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

The location of the race was a bit of a time warp and in a older p[art of town, but yet every time I hear the race and location trashed it is still a race that is still talked about  literally decades later. 

It was the race that "made" Joel (Monty as he was known at the time) and Pooch Armatures, not to mention the other Purple Power guys. He said that to me on several occasions

#59 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I was there and concur with all the comments about the track and location. You can't appreciate just how awful the track and surroundings were if you weren't there. From this point in time, it sounds like a legend but the reality was worse!

Monty and crew showed that real racers will show up and race the track in whatever condition you find it. 

It would be great to see some pictures of the cars and controllers that were waffled by the trains after the "race."

• tonyp and elvis44102 like this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#60 Bob Fugett

Bob Fugett

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:15 PM

Does anyone know the address in Springfield, OH, where this Coca-Cola race took place?

#61 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:10 PM

Even though I was there I don't recall the address.  It was downtown in an area that could probably be traced back to the end of the 19th to the beginning of the 20th century.

The building was torn down years ago and the area redeveloped.

Lots of comments on the race, the track, and location, but one thing for sure it was a race that defined an era and launched some racers into the "bigtime".

#62 Bob Fugett

Bob Fugett

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, Steve. That may explain why all my Google maps street-level stalking over the years has never revealed the location of a slot car track one of my friend's father would cart a group of us to circa 1965. I allowed him to use my car as an experiment in which he taught himself to rewind and balance the stock engine before he showed me how to paint and install my own vacuum formed body. The full-track wheelies I could maintain afterwards made me very proud that I had been the only one brave enough to let him tear apart my expensive and prized possession on a whim. Actually I hadn't even thought about it. He was a mechanic, was building his own son's go-karts for racing, so when he asked, "If you want, I'll see if I can hot rod your car's motor," I just said, "Yeah, sure!" It never occurred to me was using my car as a test project before he did his own son's... nor would I have cared.

#63 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 04:06 PM

Wasn’t that track owned by one of the Ducketts ?Not Paul because I don’t think he was old enough then but his dad. Cant remember his first name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#64 elvis44102

elvis44102

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 04:16 PM

the railroad tracks ran within about 50 feet of the rear entrance, in a "downtown" area track probably still there google map of springfield

John Wisneski

#65 Bob Fugett

Bob Fugett

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 01:58 AM

Per the railroad hint provided by elvis44102, I took another look on Google, and the parking lot for the grocery mart now at 911 W Main St, Springfield, OH 45504 rings true, so maybe the building was in the empty lot next to it. Also my remembrance is we would just drive straight over from London, turn left pulling up to the building, and West Main is pretty much just an extension of 40. That does it for me. Thanks all.

#66 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:05 AM

Wasn’t that track owned by one of the Ducketts ?Not Paul because I don’t think he was old enough then but his dad. Cant remember his first name.

There was Paul Duckett Sr. And Jr.  Paul Jr. ran the track.  He would have been in his early to mid-20’s at the time.

He had a career as a policeman.  I seem to recall reading he passed away a couple years ago.

#67 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:00 AM

Yea. Paul Jr had an AMCR Orange in Springfield for awhile. His dad had the tracks in Dayton. I remember Jr hung a fish net in the bank on the Orange and the first night with net 2 cars launched and it took almost 10 minutes to get them untangled. Goodbye net. Lol

• Steve Deiters likes this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

Electric Dreams Online Shop