• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Just arrived 5 minutes ago. Detail models Mako Shark. They say you always remember your first Blow mold and this is mine. Happy to get it as I have never owned any from this series before.

slotblog 332.jpg

slotblog 333.jpg

• endbelldrive likes this

Joe Lupo

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,272 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Joe,

Unique used this very body to produce what is today one of the rarest production slot cars.

u126.jpg

u126_1.jpg

u126_2.jpg

u126_3.jpg

u126_4.jpg

Find one of these and you will be one of the very, very few to own one!   :)

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#3 Rhino

Rhino

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

It's gorgeous!  Are you planning to build it or just marvel over it?  I have a Detail Lola T70 in 1/32.  I can't bear to cut it open.

Terry Hreno
Where's the 3-view? I need to carve another body!

#4 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

Terry,

The T70 seems to be the most common of the Detail bodies, so ... cut away!

I've also seen more of the 1/24 McLaren bodies, but all the others are fairly scarce - and I'd love to get one of their Iso Grifos in 1/32...

Thanks for that photo Philippe, I never realized that Unique ever actually released this car - or that they used the Detail body - sure of that?

Also, I've got a Lotus 30 with this black anodized chassis - was this chassis much rarer than the usual Unique model?

Don

#5 manitouguy

manitouguy

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

hi all, just to add in - i have had the 1/32 iso (was very nice but i traded it away :) ) and i think i have another lola or lotus here too

was thinking of doing a 'ship in bottle' approach by just cutting out the wheel arches ....

i can track down the link to the iso and details bodies if anyone is interested

regards, Ron

Ron Baron

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I never realized that Unique ever actually released this car - or that they used the Detail body - sure of that?

Don, yes. Please read the advert, it says so!

Also, I've got a Lotus 30 with this black anodized chassis - was this chassis much rarer than the usual Unique model?

Yes, it is truly rare version of this chassis. However the Mako was the original body for that chassis, not a Lotus. :)

The Mako was the last of the Unique models and must have been produced in extremely confidential quantities, as the model at the LASCM is the only boxed or loose example we have ever seen!

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Here's the Lotus 30; found this on ebay about 10 years ago, and if I remember right, there was a whole series of cars with this chassis -  don't think any were in the box, but they certainly seemed to me to be factory productions... not absolutely sure now, but the assembly is very clean, same four screws all around that look similar to what I can sort of see on the Mako, etc. 

Anybody else here get one of these cars at the time? 

Don 

UniqueLotus30_zpsb3bc42dd.jpg

UniqueLotus30chassis_zpsa00dd376.jpg

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Don,

I saw your lotus before when you showed it a few years back on other threads. The body is a Lancer Lotus 30, also used by Classic in their Manta Ray RTR box as a spare. The body screws appear to also be Classic (only Cox and Classic used the round-head slotted screws, the Cox were chrome plated, the Classic cadmium plated). Looks to me that some distributor bought the black chassis from Unique when they packed up and made their own RTR models to liquidate the chassis...

I think that you can go ahead and add the missing rear wheel knock-offs, let me know if you need some.

Very interesting model in any case, but not a Unique factory RTR model of course. :)

Please note that the weird curved wire serving as partial body mount actually locks into the side exhausts of the Detail Models body, that was factory trimmed using a hot wire, then painted. The RTR at the LASCM is in pristine condition and was purchased right off E-Pay about 5 years ago, for a low bid because few collectors/bidders then even realized how rare it truly is.

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Dokk, thanks for posting that Mako. It is how you say in the States "Unique" :) Don, I like that car no matter what you know who says. Looks like chrome round head screws on that Mako, hmmm.

I was going to ask about that weird drop arm wire thing but you beat me to it.

Speaking of wire, please do not mention a hot wire again. I actually touched one of those in my Uncles plastic factory and guess what, it was very hot  :heat:  Still have the "line" to prove it 40 years later :dash2: One of life's painful lessons.

• Joe Mig likes this

Joe Lupo

#10 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

ouch! 

Philippe, you're right, we already had that conversation a few years ago... Was just looking at the pickups - on the Manta Ray is that a sort of jet flag or Cox type guide? The wires seem to disappear into holes on the top... 

On my pseudo-Unique, the guide uses the same screws as for the body mounting, with the head on the bottom and then a nut on top of the braid - they're actually not self-tapping screws, but tiny bolts... 

Was also just looking at the tires: fronts are Goodyear / Special Racing Tire, similar to Monogram or Revell I think, but the rears are the Unique Le Mans line... Your theory about the distributor sounds pretty likely, unless it was some kind of Unique prototype... That fact about the wire holding the drop arm is just strange enough to be true! 

Don 

PS: thanks for the offer, but I've got lots of knock-offs in my knock-offs drawer...

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Joe, the unique thing about Unique cars is that they were uniquely bad... with rather horrid assembly quality and poor engineering, except for the pretty Jaguar D-Type that was their first model and the first production 1/24 scale RTR slot car ever produced.

Don,

I will have to verify the tires because the ad says "German sponge glued and trued", so not so sure at this time. I should be at the Muz next Sunday. Making a list now...

The Classic Manta Ray had two types of guides. The first version with 3-spoke wheels and endbell-side drive had the "Dynamic" style of guide, also used by many other companies including the early Unique models and your black chassis. The later is of course the dark-gray guide engraved with the Classic name in script, and with the super-thin (and fragile) guide blade.

The Mako Shark in the LASCM collection has a late-issue Pactra guide that looks like a bit like a Jet Flag or a Champion guide but is different from both. My opinion is that Unique ran out of guides and went begging to Pactra for some. Such an exchange of parts was not uncommon between manufacturers: this late-production Unique chassis uses a Revell motor and gears, they did not fall off the truck!  :)

As far as that weird drop arm axle that curves to become parallel to the body, its purpose is indeed to fit inside the side pipes, holding the body in position as the sides were slightly spread to provide tension over it. It is pretty obvious that it would interfere with many other bodies...

Philippe de Lespinay

#12 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

On the Lotus, it's just kind of useless, and flops around....

I'm not at home, but I think the Le Mans tires actually were a sort of German sponge, but perhaps with a skin, giving them more form and allowing for the letters... but they're not glued on if I remember right.

Don

#13 Stefano Sbravati

Stefano Sbravati

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I found this Chap on eBay some years ago: don't know if it matters

Attached Images

• DSCN3566.JPG
  • DSCN3568.JPG

Stefano Sbravati

#14 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

That's the standard Unique Chaparral, Stefano, from the regular product line that came out in late 1965 or so (along with a Cobra and Ford GT40 roadster), but obviously with the rear wheels and guide changed, and looks like they modified the rear too... 

Don 

#15 Stefano Sbravati

Stefano Sbravati

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, Don. 

As far as I see, rather than modifying the rear, they used pins instead of screws to mount the body. 

Is the Chap body correct on this chassis? 

The drop arm axle is correct, or it has been modified? 

And what are the correct rear Wheels? 

Thank you very much

Stefano Sbravati

#16 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

I just ran across a pair of "Le Mans" line wheels still on the card by "UNIQUE ENGINEERING, El Segundo Calif. They look exactly like the front wheels on the Chap above(aluminum not black) except the are called 4 slot mag wide #24-8. and have 4 kidney bean shaped holes. Probably a variation of the ones shown above, hard to see if the other cars shown have the 4 kidney design or not.

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,272 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Gary,

Unique made quite a few different wheel designs, the kidney-bean being an earlier model as used on their earlier RTR cars with clear bodies.

Is the Chap body correct on this chassis? 

Stefano, yes, and that's the only color for the RTR version sold individually.

Now, they also made a Trak Pak with controller and spare tires, and there the body was green, and instead of screws, the body and the braided contacts were RIVETED to the chassis and the guide!

u108.jpg

The drop arm axle is correct, or it has been modified?

Modified. The Unique cars were not that great, but still better than that amateurish repair.

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop