2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

The FarrOut Slot Racing Club, home of the On-The-Hill-Gang, races 1/32 scale slot cars of various makes, primarily in a ready-to-run, box standard, unmodified form, to try to maintain close fun racing by having most cars be roughly of compatible capability and minimize the amount of time and cost needed to stay competitive with everyone else racing in the club. At the end of the day the main goal is to have fun - not to spend hundreds of hours to build a single car! Racers can participate in the club even if they own no cars, as loaner cars will be provided for for the day. Racers are welcome and encouraged to own and use their own cars; however it is not required.

garagehorseshoe.jpg

The FarrOut Club, the creation of Stephen Farr-Jones, currently races on a series of eight home and club raceways. All but one are four-lane plastic using either Scalextric Classic, Scalextric Sport, Ninco, Carrera, or Artin track. Two of the club's tracks are four-lane routed wood pressboard.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 stumbley

stumbley

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,340 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Just to clarify, Greg: there is no longer an Artin track in the Farrout club. That had been mine, before I built a routed track of the same design to replace it. I have since moved to Newberg, Oregon, where the track now resides. Additionally, some of the tracks featured on the club's website have either moved or been replaced/redesigned. If anyone is interested in racing with the club, it's best to contact Stephen Farr-Jones, the "benevolent dictator" who started the club. Currently, they have about 20 or so racers showing up for races every other Saturday throughout the year.

It's an extremely well-run club with a great bunch of guys (and a couple of gals) as regular racers. I encourage anyone with an interest in 1/32 scale racing to look into it. Loaner cars set up by the club's top racers are provided for each race. Track hosts often provide refreshments for each race meet, and the cost is a reasonable $10 per meet, with a $5 charge for those who race the loaner cars (after a 6-month trial period; the first 6 months, loaners are free).

To add, the "Mini Boola King" that Bob Scott refers to in another post on this site was built for a member of the club. That track is not featured on the website.

Stan Smith
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No one is completely useless - you can always serve as a bad example." -PartiStan

Democracies endure until the citizens care more for what the state can give them than for its ability to defend rich and poor alike; until they care more for their privileges than their responsibilities; until they learn they can vote largess from the public treasury and use the state as an instrument for plundering, first those who have wealth, then those who create it -- Jerry Pournelle.

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

Things that are Too Big To Fail sooner or later become like Queen Bees, the Alpha and Omega of all activity, resulting in among other things, the inability to think of anything else but servicing them. - Richard Fernandez, The Belmont Club

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Stan,

Of course, I grabbed that text from the website. I have to run out for a bit but will make the correction when I can do so. Thanks!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop