• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

Just pulled up the "View New Posts" since I last visited this morning before I went to Buena Park to race TALLEDEGA NIGHTS hardbody NASCAR event. Found 26 new posts - only SIX of which were SLOT CAR related!

Do you guys still race slot cars??? :huh:

Moderators - is there a way to block the non-slot car related topics/threads (Freeblog)??? :blink:

BTW - had a great time racing today along with at least 30 other guys. :D :D

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#2 yomama

yomama

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

I agree. It would be nice to read 50 posts a day in the Slot Car History section versus 50 posts about George Bush, liberals, etc.
Cal Naughton, Jr.

#3 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:45 AM

Moderators - Is there a way to block the non-slot car related topics threads (Freeblog)???

Sure... just don't go there :rolleyes:

I usually don't, although lately it seems that I've been reading and even replying to a few. But this stuff comes and goes in waves. I'm sure we'll be back to full speed ahead on slots once the summer is over.

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

Marcus is right - no one forces you to read any posts. If you don't want to read the political stuff in Freeblog, just don't. That's what I do. I doubt I read 2% of the posts in Freeblog...

If a particular member's posts annoy you, you can block seeing any of that member's posts here: My Controls -> Options (on LH side of window) -> Manage Ignored Users. Once you add a member to the Ignored Users list, you will never see another post from that member until you remove him from the list.

Regarding the recent complaints about posts in Freeblog, so long as the posts are in the proper forum and otherwise comply with the Slotblog Terms of Use, I am loath to take any action to ban or restrict.

However, Slotblog is first and foremost a slot car racing board and the Freeblog forum is an adjunct, a sideline, to give members a place to discuss subjects not directly concerned with slot racing. I believe any member making the vast majority of his posts in Freeblog concerning non-slot related topics might do well to consider frequenting another board.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:49 AM

Hi

In recent times, for me, I don't see anything to talk about!

Slot car history? I have told my stories as an unknown racer in unknown races. I think people are bored. Further, got no, "I beat Mike Stube" stories because, I have never been in his class.

I am a motor geek, but not a collector. When Ron and I talk about motors, we get heat.

Well, I can go on and on, but I feel dry. Nothing to talk about, and not much interest in many of the threads. I will never, for instance, run a thingie!

Sigh.

Not gonna make Pelican Park any time soon, cannot comment on that.

I have no idea on "what is wrong with the kids of today (I think nothing)", nor do I know anything about the furture of the hobby or how to save it.

So, get me started I can babble for hours, but right now the phase of the board isn't doing anything I want to babble about.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

It's summer, we are at the beach, eh! :D

Philippe de Lespinay

#7 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:33 PM

I believe any member making the vast majority of his posts in Freeblog concerning non-slot related topics might do well to consider frequenting another board.

And perhaps those who have NEVER made a post on anything slot car-related should be asked to do just that? Seems to me there are quite a few of those...
Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

And perhaps those who have NEVER made a post on anything slot car-related should be asked to do just that? Seems to me there are quite a few of those...

Dennis, you probably don't realize that most members on this and other forums only lurk.

I'd guess that 60% of Slotblog members have never made a single post.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

My guillotine is being serviced right now.

Philippe de Lespinay

#10 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Dennis, you probably don't realize that most members on this and other forums only lurk.

I'd guess that 60% of Slotblog members have never made a single post.

Greg, I realize it very well, but I think there are people who frequent the SlotBlog for no other reason than to post in the FreeBlog, and that's what I think should be limited. I wonder whether some of them are even slot racers at all, in any form...

Personally I do not see the need for, nor the point of any political ranting/debating/whatever on SlotBlog. It's not like the political boards have slot racing threads...
  • James Wendel likes this
Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#11 mdiv

mdiv

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Dennis,

That would be awesome!

Sen. So-and-so: Haahaa, Clinton uses 1/16" bat pans! LOL!

Clinton: Leave me and my bat pans alone! :P

I could go on and on!

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#12 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Not gonna make Pelican Park any time soon...

Hi Rocky,

We're disappointed you're not gonna make it over here in the near future. We've been racing through the summer - no interruptions here - Beaches too cold. Would have been the perfect time for a day's drive from SLC - plenty of loaner cars!.
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#13 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,844 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

I stopped going to Freeblog months ago. It actually made me angry with some of the posts. I did post one last week about Michael Vick, went back to see replies and made one more. As a rule I stay out of there, it's lunacy.

I love to read the posts about slot cars and such. I read all the posts, in all the catagories, too. BUT and this is big BUT, this board is so much better then any other. At least here you read real topics about slot cars and racing, not political slot car $hit...

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#14 MarcusPHagen

MarcusPHagen

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:20 AM

I am a motor geek, but not a collector. When Ron and I talk about motors, we get heat.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. Your motor posts have (for me) been fascinating. Although my own experience overlaps part of yours (in the late '60s - early '70s), your total history and the level of detail you command far exceeds anything I've found anywhere else. As a result, I've purchased some motors that I never experienced the first time around. our posts told me how to set them up, and how they would best be used. I think I've saved virtually every "motor" post of yours that I've read - from the first I found on OWH, and after that on the various other boards where you've posted.

Anybody who has given you "heat" about discussing motors seems, to me, rather short-sighted.

And if this is only about the FK-series motor problems, then I still don't see it. After all, nobody forces them to read what you write, and you've never insisted that anyone has to do things "your way". If ignorance is bliss, they are free to stay dumb and happy - but don't deprive the rest of us, Rocky!

Marcus P. Hagen -- see below, my five favorite quotes: applicable to slot cars & life in general.
[ "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.". . Daniel Patrick Moynihan ]
[ "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its students.". . . . . . . . Hector Berlioz ]
[ "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness." . . . . . . . . . . . Dave Barry ]
[ "Build what you like to build, they are all doomed." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Prof. Fate ]
[ "The less rules the more fun. Run what you brung." . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Larry LS ]

#15 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

Personally I do not see the need for, nor the point of any political ranting/debating/whatever on SlotBlog.

I see nothing wrong with ranting and debating politics on Slotblog, as long as you don't take it to the track. And we don't. :)

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#16 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, what HE said!

Butch, your car has taken longer to build than any car previous... mainly due to my laziness. I'm going to make a concerted effort to finish the car this week. Of course, I had originally purchased a Falcon 5 to put it in. Seeing as how the F5s are no longer "de rigueur", I want to put a Falcon 7 in it, BUT... well, you know our plight. If it wasn't for being the end of the month (and funds low), I would have bought several from other sources already, which is what I'm going to do after the 1st of September.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#17 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi

Punch and counterpunch.

Marcus, thanks for the kudos. For ME, racing isn't very important. Any car spends more time on the bench than on the track. I LOVE bench time.

I have gotten a lot of flak about motors most times. The collectors make it clear that they disapprove of my "frankenmotor" approach. And the others make a case about using "workalikes" on oldies. Some folks don't want these even mentioned for various reasons. Several race directors have told me to NEVER talk about "sealed" motors.

This leads to the problem that I have no idea how to "save" a program or create one. I admire my friend Paul Sterrett for producing a semi-scratchbuilt class that people would DO. I just hate rules. Motors are fun, at least as much fun as the rest of the car. So, rules involving sealed motors just don't excite me.

I accept the idea of cost and all.

A second problem is that I counterpunch. I don't know what I know, I only realize I know something when someone ASKS. I sort of assume that people know all. Philippe often surprises me with this. So often I have to remember that he talks about things on the tracks that he knows from reading, he was on a different continent after all. And my having seen something, doesn't mean it is known.

The thing is that we all know stuff, but it might be difficult to realize someone else doesn't know until the question is asked.

I come to Slotblog mostly to visit with friends. As irritating as some people find Philippe, I love him like a brother and just delight in watching him get literal.

Todd... My friend Rich has been inviting me as well to come to Oregon as well... regularly. When I go to LA or Denver, I can make an excuse with my tax man that it is business. Unfortunately, I don't work for anyone in Oregon!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#18 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

Unfortunately, I don't work for anyone in Oregon!

I can send an employment application... !
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#19 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Todd, why would you need Rocky's motor building skills and knowledge when using the Parma Deathstars? :to_become_senile:
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#20 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:04 AM

Bill, why are you assuming we're merely interested in Rocky's motor know-how? Rather we would enjoy him, you, and any other amiable soul who has a zest for racing. After all, racing's a main component of PPS's 20-year success.
Todd Messinger
8/9/38-1/9/20
Requiescat in Pace

#21 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:13 AM

And I like Rocky 'cause he's cute! :wub:
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#22 zebm1

zebm1

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

I read the posts in here, but I don't have anything to add. All of my slot-racing experience is from 1959-'62 in W. Germany and 1963- to about 1966-67, (when I started racing real cars) which I'm sure most of yall are way past anyways.

#23 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

Hi,

Zeb, my start in '59 was using Strombeker shelf models and motorizing them to run on a rail. Read about English "rail racing" in one of the hobby magazines like Mechanics Illustrated. I was living in a small town in New Mexico outside an obscure Air Force base.

I didn't know anyone even vaguely interested then. Which, I would guess, is kind of the story of my slot racing. Mostly, I play with my stuff without much participation in actual organized racing.

In '61, I read about "slot" in the same magazine, and redid my stuff. Still no competition. Moved to the Philippines, and kept doing cars.

In '63 after moving to North Carolina I finally met racers who lived on Seymour Johnson AFB. They had raced in England. We had a CLUB! Yaaaa. By that time, I knew a bit about slots in England.

The thing is that NONE of us have heard your story about racing in Germany. So, tell us.

Me, even after I took up real racing, even crewing on a factory-sponsored Vette in '65... I never stopped playing with slot cars. Just as real airplane flying and work never gave me a reason to stop flying model airplanes as well. It's all good, they are MACHINES.

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#24 zebm1

zebm1

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

Well, we lived on base, Wiesbaden AFB, a former Luftwaffe fighter base during the BIG War. We lived in Officer's Country, don't remember the kid's name, red hair, freckles, tight-arse, but he had a Scalextric set. I think they were the plastic race cars, but don't quote me on that.

Anyway... we'd pester our parents to go to the Base PX and buy us single cars to race at his apt. The cars were the '50s era F1s, Lotus, Vanwalls, Ferraris, rear-engine Coopers, and I think someone found a Ferrari 156. Of course, ol' red-head always had to win... you know the type, Rocky.

Gotta go, daughter's boyfriend's A/C is broke... gotta get my tools, drive 40 miles one way... sheesh. C'yall lator, gators. :D

#25 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Zeb, have the boyfriend work along with you so he can fix it next time. ;)

There's a relatively new history forum on here in the Vintage Slot Car section where you could post your early slot racing exploits if you wished. It isn't meant just for those who had a pro-type racing history. Me, I started with an AMT Turnpike set in 1963. :good:
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop