• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

My friend and I are attending a 4 Hours Classic Race in Randers, Denmark and we discussed the idea of participating with something else than the usual Porsche 917's etc. He has a nice Cobra which I build a couple of years ago and I have a Porsche 908/2 Flunder Kurz.

But i thought about using one of my many plastic kits, which just cries out to be used for a Slot Car. After running through some 60's Ferraris i opted for a Revell kit of the 1955 Mercedes 300SLR.

The kit is for Sterling Moss and Denis Jenkinsons 1955 Mille Miglia winner, but the model also raced in other races without a navigator: Racecars don't have more than one person in a real race car a time, so I decided to build the Sterling Moss  car form  the 1955 Dundrod TT.

This meant some modifications to the body, the most prominent is the cover over the passager side, new smaller windscreen and only one of the aerodynamic headrests. I also removed some material inside to get a lighter body.

After some unlucky attempts with water based Vellejo Model Air colours for the silver, I painted it in Motip Silver, followed by Motip clear Acrylic after the decals was added.

I et anfald af miljøbevidsthed malede jeg karossen

The Chassis is a German Schöler 5513 brass chassis with 15mm inside dia wheels, 10mm wide front and 13mm wide rear. The front tyres are firm foam rubber and the rears are Ortmann tyres as PU rubber tyres are mandatory for the race. The wheel inserts are made from the kit wheels and painted silver.

I made vacformed copies of the interior tub and instrument panel and used the kit steering wheel and gear lever. The driver body is also vacformed. The interior has to be modified a bit to allow room for the motor and rear wheels in this rather small car. I used the horrible seat decals from the kit on the edges of my seat, and toned the colour down with black wash.

Front intake is covered by a vacformed copy of some fine metal net and the intake on the bonnet is covered with fine metal net.

Windscreen is made of clear plasticard

IMG_2928.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#2 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

IMG_3026.JPG

Won Courcours, but with 20 sec. left of the race a track marshall rested his hand on our lane to help another car

- with this result :-(

• Big Durl likes this

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

FanTASTic! A brilliant recreation with a brilliant result! Race cars get damaged in races! FanTASTic!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

How cool is that!
Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#5 TuscoTodd

TuscoTodd

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

That was a sweet looking ride - it is unfortunate, that it took the nasty hit that it did.  I do have to say that the damage looks pretty impressive though!

Todd Daenzer

Electric Dreams Online Shop