42 replies to this topic

#26 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

Oh barf. This ignores transparency and traceability on the manufacturer's & merchant's part; and if this speculative example were actually to happen, there'd be a firestorm down on their heads (once the traceability'd got verified). It doesn't happen like this, and these "Wull, what IF" scenarios do nothing to strengthen an argument. "What IF the robber has an illegal assault weapon? - And Obama took away my Tactical Nuke??"...

There hasn't been a single challenge since the rule came down, so it's accomplished its real intent: ending the endless talk. Now all that's left is - talk about the talk. Jay's right.

• backintheslot and Gator Bob like this
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#27 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wow... I've never seen so much complaining about rules as I have seen by us slot racers. Its a pretty simple rule racers. I'm not sure if its right or wrong, but it surley will not detour me from racing. I know what does detour people from racing, that's complaining about a simple rule.

The IRRA BoD IMO is a great group of guys who have been around slot racing a long time. I'm sure they looked over every pro and con there is. It's not easy what the BoD does. Especially with all of us complainers. But I'm glad they do it. I know I couldn't deal with all the pros and cons they deal with.

Thank you, BoD members, it's a hard job from what I see!

• Joe Mig, Michael Rigsby, Duffy and 1 other like this
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯

Preparation leads to separation.

Success is never owned but rented and rent is due everyday.

KELLY RACING 😎

#28 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

This is so typical .The announcement of this rule change was made several weeks ago and now it's big race time and you guys stir the pot. LMAO. Y'all just won't be happy until there are no big races or no one attending.

Get your heads out of your butts and look at the real picture, not the one some one else paints for you.

Well said, Jay.

• Duffy likes this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#29 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

Mike,

Here's a scenario, let's say you don't race often and you show up to the track and borrow a car to race. Well, you have no clue what's been to the car or motor prior to race day. Then you get protested because you got loaned a super sano car. If your found to be illegal, then you, the IRRA BoD member, are now banned...

Fair or not?

#30 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

This is so typical. The announcement of this rule change was made several weeks ago and now it's big race time and you guys stir the pot. LMAO Y'all just won't be happy until there are no big races or no one attending.

Get your heads out of your butts and look at the real picture, not the one some one else paints for you.

The revised rule was put out on Feb. 21, however there were many "holes" in the rule if you compare it to the original announcement made in 2012. Now on "race day" the holes are filled with more changes to the original rule.

I think that is what some people are upset about.

#31 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

If you only ran hand-out FK style motors, the motor protest fee would only be $12 and all this sticker nonsense would be for naught.

#32 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Mike, 

Here's a scenario, let's say you don't race often and you show up to the track and borrow a car to race. Well, you have no clue what's been to the car or motor prior to race day. Then you get protested because you got loaned a super sano car. If your found to be illegal, then you, the IRRA BoD member, are now banned...

Fair or not?

Ralph - quick question here:  If you just show up and get handed a car - do you think they will be in the top three? There are only probably a handful of people that could do that and they all build everything they race.

I guess if you think Ron can hand me a car and I can podium with it - Ron, hand it over. 

(Ralph I am not trying to make fun of your question either so please don't take it that way. I am only trying to lighten the mood.)

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion & Retro Can-Am Champion

USSCA 2017 All Around Champion

USSCA 2019 All Around Champion

#33 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's virtually impossible to cover every possible "what if" scenario. Overthinking stuff like this leads to "analysis paralysis"; you'll never accomplish anything. Since there has yet to be a motor protest at any race (and with the rule in place, there's much less likelihood of motor cheating now), at least something is on the books and if there ever is a situation like that, it can be dealt with.

But if I borrowed a car and it was found to be illegal, I would be more upset with the person that loaned it to me than the fact I was DQ'd. I guess you should be able to trust someone who loans you a winning car???

"Whatever..."

#34 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Right on, John.

BTW is there any way to move the start time back to 10:30? I personally have not attended several races because of the start time.

Blair Stem

#35 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nope, because then we wouldn't be getting home until after midnight from some of the races.

You could just come around 1:30, which is around the time the second class gets going (depending on the number of entries).

"Whatever..."

#36 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Jeff, quick answer here. The last Penn Ohio, ORS, and IRRL race I went to I finished in the top three with borrowed cars. Not to mention I've seen it happen many times before, including by IRRA™ BoD members. Ask Mike; he can confirm this.

#37 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Howie does it all the time... :D

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#38 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

If you only ran hand-out FK style motors, the motor protest fee would only be $12 and all this sticker nonsense would be for naught.

That makes too much sense. It's better to have an inventory of 20 or so $50 motors to choose from!! Then you can refurbish the one or two you find that are actually worth rebuilding!! :)  Of course - then you can buy arms to re-bulid the dogs you have and try to make them race motors!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#39 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Jeff, quick answer here. The last Penn Ohio, ORS, and IRRL race I went to I finished in the top three with borrowed cars. Not to mention I've seen it happen many times before, including by IRRA™ BoD members. Ask Mike; he can confirm this.

Thank you for the reply, Ralph. You are in that handful of people I was talking about.

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion & 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion & Retro Can-Am Champion

USSCA 2017 All Around Champion

USSCA 2019 All Around Champion

#40 Duffy

Duffy

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

Okay, point made and made well, and now let's move on to the next step: this underscores the practical need to know your source. If you got a cross-country trip, you rent your car from a reputable agency and not the guy that catches you as you walk through the terminal gate and leads you to his cousin's ride. You're responsible for your choices and you make decisions based on that commonsense. No different here, which removes another level of "what-IF" discussion.

And once again, there's never been a challenge. It's a preventive rule, and it seems to be working.

duf
  • Samiam and George Blaha like this
Michael J. Heinrich
1950-2016
Requiescat in Pace

And I am awaiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

#41 Mike Wurn

Mike Wurn

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Really!?!? People are actually afraid of this rule??? That says a lot right there.

#42 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

hey,

This is a good rule to keep the field level. Thank You BOD.

George Shakey Blaha

#43 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

"walk through the terminal gate and leads you to his cousin's ride"

You must have not done a lot of travel outside of the US. LOL

Dennis David

Electric Dreams Online Shop