9 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Bob's wife, Beth, contacted me today to give me the sad news that Bob McCurdy passed away from prostate cancer on October 22, 2012. Bob's diaplay name at Slotblog was rdmac.

Bob was one of the earliest members of Slotblog, having joined the forum on February 16, 2006. He was member number 6. By search I found that he made his last post on March 21 of last year.

Here's Bob's obituary:

McCURDY, Robert, 58, of Everett, formerly of Malden. Entered Eternal Rest October 22, 2012. Devoted husband of Beth McCurdy. Beloved father of Hannah McCurdy and Matthew McCurdy. Loving son of Norma (Cronin) and the late William “Mac” McCurdy. Dear brother of William McCurdy, Jr. & Linda Wheeler, James & Kathy McCurdy, Thomas McCurdy, John & Patty McCurdy, Cathy & Barry Stafford, and Marcia & Valence Mitchell. Adored uncle of many nieces and nephews. Services at the Goldman Funeral Chapel 174 Ferry Street, (off Route 60) MALDEN on Tuesday October 23 at 12:30 PM. Interment at Puritan Lawn Memorial Park, Peabody. Following the interment condolence calls may be made at Anthony’s of Malden 105 Canal St. Malden, then continuing at the Residence Inn 300 Presidential Way, Woburn Wednesday & Thursday from 4-8PM. In lieu of flowers, expressions of sympathy may be donated to the Boston Prostate Cancer Walk 225 Cedar Hill St. Suite 200 Marlborough, MA 01752, www.bostonpcwalk.org.

I never got the opportunity to meet Bob, though we exchanged many a PM and email.

RIP, Bob. You will not be forgotten.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

So sad to hear this news. Bob contacted me one time to make a jig to his specs and I did. He also gave me permsiion to sell the design and I called it the RDMAC Jig. I made four of them and it turned out to be Steube's favorite one to use.

He will be missed, was a great person... Much, much too young!
Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

Posted Image

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,366 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, same age as me...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 endbelldrive

endbelldrive

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Sad news. Bob was part of the scratchbuilding renaissance when there were only a handful of folks soldering piano wire and brass. He was a funny, modest guy with killer chops as we would say in the music biz. I'm already missing rdmac.  

RIP, Bob.
Bob Suzuki

#5 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I remember his involvement with the early Thingie Proxie races...

RIP, Bob.

Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Yes, I am a sarcastic, smart-azz, know-it-all old bastard of a genius. 
What is old is new again... Retro... Gotta love it !!!
"May all your inlines be Retro, my son."
The Englelman: a truly superior design.

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear this. Bob and I shared a bunch of emails. We never did meet face-to-face, but I convinced Bob to get involved in the Retro program at Modelville Hobby in Ashland, MA. He raced weekly Retros there for a couple years.

I wondered why he hadn't been involved during the past year, and now I know why.

Bill Fernald

i don't need to use GOOGLE, my wife knows everything. :laugh2: 

#7 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I raced Retros with Bob at MVH for a few years. He was an easygoing guy who was always fun to be around. Never a harsh word.

In Decmber 2011, I painted a retro Ferrari body for him. When he didn't come to the raceway to collect it I left it with Richard. Several times I asked if Bob had been in to pick it up but he never had. He was missed. Now, sadly, I know the rest of the story.

I plan on racing this body myself - in his memory.

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

A week or so ago, I received a very nice email from Bob's wife Beth and requested and received her permission to share it with everyone.

I just came across the postings you guys had about Bob... They were so nice. I'm actually looking forward to sharing these with Matthew and Hannah. Matt went every week on Saturdays with Bob to Modelville in Ashland, MA. I wish Matt had been older so he could have learned how to make the cars himself... They so enjoyed this together!

As you know Bob was a very private man... but it's heartwarming to see that you all enjoyed him as much as he enjoyed you all!

When I asked her permission to post the email, I also offered to create a Slotblog ID if she wished to post for herself.

Of course feel free to post it... but I don't think I'll make myself an ID. This was his world and while reading everyone's kind words was wonderful for us, he never even told us how involved he was online in this. It's sad, because it's something he should have been proud of... but that was him. Mr. Humble.

image001.png

Here is a picture of Bob and our youngest Matthew last summer after an afternoon of swimming and fishing. You don't find many pictures of either of them, but if you got them next to each other they ALWAYS smiled! I hope your family appreciates and loves you as much as we did him. He certainly had shoes that are unfillable.

• endbelldrive likes this

Gregory Wells

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thnks for sharing this.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

:( 

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

Electric Dreams Online Shop