Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Riggen-JAD Bodies

Riggen Bodies.jpg

Riggen had been making wheels and tires since at least as far back as late 1964 (their first ad in MC&T was in the January 1965 issue) when they decided to begin offering "Ready-to-Run" cars in 1967.  Riggen called these R-T-R cars their "JAD" series, and going one better than most other R-T-R manufacturers, they decided to make their own bodies instead of using someone else's. So, they engaged the services of a designer named Gordon Brimhall to fabricate custom molds for them.

In all, Brimhall produced six molds for the Riggen JAD series, two open wheel (one GP and one Indy), two sports cars and two coupes. One of the coupes was a Thingie called the "Riggen Special".

Riggen actively sold these R-T-R cars through the end of 1968 (their last ad featuring JAD cars was in the October 1968 issue of Car Model). After October 1968 Riggen stopped advertising in Car Model for a full year (MC&T was already defunct), and when they began advertising again in October 1969, the JAD cars were gone and the product line was completely different, featuring NNC Group 12 cars.

MCT V4N8 Aug 67 p21.jpg

MCT V4N9 Sep 67 p11.jpg

MCT V4N9 Sep 67 p14.jpg

MCT V4N11 Nov 67 p7.jpg

MCT V4N12 Dec 67 p20.jpg

Riggen Ferrari Custom Coupe.jpg

Riggen Special.jpg

CM V6N10 May 68 p7.jpg

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

Electric Dreams Online Shop