Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

L.M. Cox Bodies

Cox Bodies 13 Nov 2009.jpg

Everyone involved with commercial slot racing in 1967 remembers the "Roach"; it was one of L.M. Cox's most successful designs, first introduced in the latter half of 1966.

The body was made out of a very unusual material; Polypropylene. Polypropylene is a tough, low density plastic, so bodies made out of it are fairly light, and nearly indestructible. On the other hand, it is almost as slick as Teflon; paint simply will not stick, and gluing things to it (like drivers, mirrors, stacks and other details) requires contact cement.  Stickers will stay on, mostly, but only if the right kind of pressure-sensitive adhesive is used.

Cucarachas came molded in several colors, the most common being orange, and at least two versions, the second being a "Super Cucaracha Coupe". Some of the other colors are today considered by collectors to be highly desirable, and so are valued well beyond their historical significance.

It is almost a shame that the Cucaracha body did not contribute to the development of the pro racing slot car nearly so much as some of the other parts in this Ready-to-Run winner. After the Quick-Change guide and the Coxalloy gear, both of which can be found on the Cucaracha, it is the Iso-Fulcrum chassis that is Cox's other most significant contribution.

CM V5N4 Nov 66 p17.jpg

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

Electric Dreams Online Shop