• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neckcheese

Neckcheese

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

My latest 1:32 build: a Penelope Pitlane 1958 Ferrari 246 F1 car, which I have built for a friend:

Vintage%2520formel%2520001.JPG

Penelope Pitlane kit for the 1958 Ferrari 246 F1. Chassis is not assembled when delivered, but all parts are included in the "PP Bargain Chassis Kit Pack" for £22,95; Body kit costs £24.95

Vintage%2520formel%2520008.JPG

This is the F1R chassis shown as delivered and when folded and assembled. It is not very difficult to build and instructions are included in the kit.

Vintage%2520formel%2520009.JPG

The chassis is a narrow fit, but some work with a Dremel and abrasive discs does the job. The front body mount does no fit to the chassis and has to be moved slightly. I cut it odd close to the body and repositioned it using superglue and baking powder. 
I find it important that the body can move freely on the chassis, so I spend some time removing materials in the body to secure that the chassis did not touch anywhere but on the posts.

Vintage%2520formel%2520010.JPG

The tyres did not fit exactly on the wheels, as the groove inside the tyres were not a wide as the raised part on the wheels. I therefore removed some material on the wheels (original left - reworked wheel right).
I spun the wheel in a Dremel and carefully "scraped off" material with a X-acto knife - please be carefull if copying this technique !!!!

Vintage%2520formel%2520015.JPG

PE spokes were included in the kit and easy to mount when following the instructions. Here the inner part is pushed back using a collar on an axle.

Vintage%2520formel%2520016.JPG

The outer spokes with spinners are pressed into the wheels and tyres are mounted. I gave the wheels a black wash to give them a "used" look. The original spokes were painted a silver colour - you dont se many cromed spokes on racing cars as the croming process seems to affect the material of the spokes.

Vintage%2520formel%2520017.JPG

The finished car. I decided to mount the windscreen with a combination of white glue and clear tape, so its glued in the front, but only held by tape in the rear. This should make it more durable when racing the car.

Vintage%2520formel%2520019.JPG

The exhaust is made of white metal and I cleaned off the casting lines, polished it and gave it as slight wash of thin black and som blue where the exhaust comes out of the body.
My Motip Acrylic clear coat made the decals wrinkle a bit on the rear part, which is strange as I had no such problems on my Mercedes (that had no white circles!)

Vintage%2520formel%2520020.JPG

I added a piece of lead to give better stability

Vintage%2520formel%2520001.JPG

Here is the contents of a similar 1960 Aston Martin DBR5 kit (left) and the Bargain Chassis Pack (right). 
The PE spokes are included in the chassis pack.

Here is the link to the manufacturer:  http://www.penelopepitlane.co.uk/

The Owner, Steve Ward, is very helpfull and on request replaced the parts in the chassis pack to the Mabuchi i wanted in sted of the standard slimline motors.

So try out one of these kits next time you get bored :-)

Niels, DK   

• miko likes this

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#2 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

Very nice looking-- I like those little chassis!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#3 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Very nice build! Love the light black body lines. Just a hint of a gap between the body panels instead of most pepole's result that looks like an 11 year old asembled the real car.

Those chassis are going to be popular.
Don Hollingsworth

Electric Dreams Online Shop