12 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

OK, here's the deal.  I've been experimenting with some different ways of winding 5 pole arms and have (for now anyway) settled on winding them pole-by pole.  Since I don't run and the nearest track I know of is an hour and a half or two away, I need someone who runs regularly and has a good car for an FT26D motor...so I don't have to wait until 2014 to fi8nd out how this thing runs.  I have been getting surprisingly good results from these things and want to find out if it's my imagination :)  This one in particular will be a real oddball for a slot car motor...a skewed-lam 5 pole 26D, and the arm blanks came courtesy of a Chinese company that makes model train motors:
SANY0001-14_zpsb0d0fb95.jpg

The arm was difficult to wind between the very skewed lams and the tight slots between poles.  It measures around .2 ohm and draws just over an amp at 6V...but really spins, staying very cool just like the 36D 5 poles I've done this way.  The com needed a good deal or work to get it true, most likely due to my inaccurate reaming before I sleeved it to fit the smaller shaft (it was made for the 36D sized shaft), but it's all good now anyway.  I know there's no such thing as a free lunch in physics, but I can't see what I'm giving up here in order to get a motor that spins smooth, fast and stays cool.  That's where the "test pilot" comes in...and he gets to keep the motor which will be a nice Champion with Arcos and a clean end bell.

-john

• C. J. Bupgoo likes this
John Havlicek

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Wow very sexy arm you have wound & finished off there John! Can see why you liked those Chinese samples.

Would love to be a test pilot but alas I don't have a track right near by & only the 4 year olds HO circuit :D so good luck in finding the lucky tester,they have certainly got a unique motor to mess with.

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

What kind of car do you want to test it in??  Flat track--King track--drag track?  I've got ALL kinds of cars---retro--hard body-- drag---what would you like to see it in??
T

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

John, I have a pretty good 26d Riggen car with an original Mura in it. I could freshen the tires, run the Mura, then do a swap if you'd like...I can send pics of the car. just let me know!

dc

David Cummerow

#5 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Boy, I'd like to put that bad boy in the Christmas car I made for Don Berni at Slots of Fun. See the car in the General Slot Car thread around December 29th.

Don Weaver

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#6 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

I will build a car for something like that, I have a whole card of NOS Cobra 26-d motor brackets, as well as several thingie bodies that would love to have such a motor to propel them. 

Ben Kernan
8/3/53-4/11/21
Requiescat in Pace

#7 Dave Fiedler

Dave Fiedler

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

John,
I've got inlines and anglewinders with 26ds. Got Mid-America and Chicagoland Raceways here where I live.
Plus I owe you big time. Just let me know what you need tested. I'm here for you.

Sano Dave
Dave Fiedler
1953-2015
Requiescat in Pace

#8 NY Nick

NY Nick

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

If you want I do at slots a lot, I have a 26d car from when I was kid.

• George Blaha likes this
Nick Cerulli

#9 Marty N

Marty N

Race Leader

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

If that's can drive and a 2 mm shaft I would love to get that thing on the dyno!
Martin Nissen

So hard a judge they hope never to meet as themselves.

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:16 AM

Boy you guys are great!  Any one of you would be perfect for this, so thanks very much for all the offers.  I've asked Sano Dave to "put on his flight suit" and wake the ground crew while we're in the briefing room going over the mission plan :)  I'm a little concerned about the com, since it took a lot of cutting to get it true...I hope there's enough there to hold together.  I've ordered the proper size ream so I can get more consistent results in the future without losing too much material up there.  Once again, thanks for all the great offers...whether the motor is a flop or a success, I'll for sure post Dave's thoughts here!

-john

John Havlicek

#11 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

If that's can drive and a 2 mm shaft I would love to get that thing on the dyno!

Hi Marty,

The motor will be either can or endbell drive as the can has mounting holes and there's plenty of shaft (yes...2mm drill blank) on either end.  The can has the big honkin' bearing cover though.  If the results are encouraging, I'll put this project in the "win" column to do some more in the future.  Right now, this was a lot of work between salvaging the com, getting the arm blanks sent from China and actually winding this thing.  Before I do any more (my fingers and eyes hurt right about now), I want to be sure it's all worth it!

-john

John Havlicek

#12 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

A little update.  The can bearing was loose on the Champ can I had originally planned on using for this.  I wound up using a regular Mabuchi silver FT26D can with a tight(er) bearing.  Since it can only go EBD, I cut off the can end extra shaft length.  I flattened out the can magnet tabs and installed the Champion one piece shim, which I cut into two pieces to better center the magnets, using two spring clips instead of the one.  The motor runs great, and now that the magnets are centered better, there was probably a bit of room to shim them in a bit more...but I figured why press my luck.  I "think" that the severe skew on the arm may give away some braking, but between that and the very narrow slots between segments, there's zero "cog" and it sure spins up and down smoothly.  For sure there could be some experimenting with gears, but I believe that a (numerically) taller ratio in favor of accel/decel could be the ticket:

SANY0003-9_zps3223d5a0.jpg

-john

John Havlicek

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

I forgot about this motor...what a bear to put together it was.  From what I remember, it ran well.  Sometimes you go through all the work and things just don 't pan out for one reason or another.  Someday when I'm feeling energetic, I should do another one...someday.  :)

-john

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop