• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Opening by mid-summer 2013 in downtown Norton, VA 24273.

An 8,500 square ft facility, the tracks: 155' King, 110' tri-oval, 1/4 mile dragstrip,1/8th mile dragstrip, 49' Pinwood Derby track, and a 55' Hot Wheels track.

Will have full stock of cars and parts available.

If everything goes good with these tracks and people in the area support this raceway, I'm gonna install a 350' Indianappois style oval... this should be fast, fun, and one of a kind.

Road frontage will feature a 2,000 square foot toy and hobby store stocked with a full line of toys and hobbies.

I will post updates as work progresses. Anyone can email me and I will answer as soon as possible.

aubreystapleton@comcast.net

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sounds an awesome new raceway! Good luck in your venture and hope it's a great success!! If the family are ever in the neighbourhood will stop by.

-Paul

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Good luck with the raceway. All us slotters thank you and all the other track owners for making our sport possible.

The mega oval may be a white elephant. I raced on a 90' oval and had a blast. A flat road course may be a better choice. But this is just my 'pinion; I could be wrong.

Keep us informed. Pictures?

Sam

Sam Levitch

#4 macman

macman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Ditto on the monster oval.

Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Yes, I am a sarcastic, smart-azz, know-it-all old bastard of a genius. 
What is old is new again... Retro... Gotta love it !!!
"May all your inlines be Retro, my son."
The Englelman: a truly superior design.

#5 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

Would the monster oval be a bad idea??? I'm kinda new at all this but I've done it for years... Like the raceways do not stay in the area long and the ones that stay are hundredss of miles away making it hard to support them on a regular basis...

Please reply with input... good or bad and explain... just wanna know...

Thanks...

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,606 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Aubrey,

I agree with the other posters regarding really large ovals. Once an oval gets above a certain size, it simply becomes a horsepower track and most folks won't race on it regularly. 

My personal preference for oval tracks is for one that's 80-90' in length, with one slightly banked end and one very flat end.

IMO the trick in designing an oval slot car track is to try to balance the lap times between red (the outside lane) and black (the inside lane). Black will have a much shorter lap length than red, but if the flat turn is tight enough on black, that advantage can be largely nullified or equalized.
Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#7 Samiam

Samiam

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

I had an idea for a way to equalize lanes on an oval. How about a crossover? It's still LTO and the section could be removed if not a hit. Raced on a road course with one in the '60s.

I agree with Greg. One flat turn is the way to go. With a very wide outside gutter/runoff.

Sam
Sam Levitch

#8 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ok, I understand what you are saying with the lane advantage but when you change lanes doesn't everyone get the same advantage... or is it to much to overcome?

Of course this is a future track... so far I'm gonna put in a King track and a 110' trioval.
Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

You might want to add a four-lane club track for 1/32. Lots of places I've seen do not know how to do this and lose out on that segment of the hobby.

Dennis David

ncsra2.jpg

ncsra.jpg

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

Aubrey,

It's not so much making the outcome of the race fair but making the racing during that heat closer. On road courses this is attempted by equal lane length but it's not perfect. It's still the guy that totals the most laps after eight heats but we always end up racing the guy next to us.
Sam Levitch

#11 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I wouldn't worry so much about equalizing lanes. Race against the guys next to you and it all evens out in the end. Just make it so it's fast and furious. Oval racing IS different than road course racing...

Don Weaver

Don Weaver
The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain eating amoeba invades Washington

it will starve to death.....

#12 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

OK coool... I'm understanding this now... we want a race all through the race itself... right?
Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,606 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hey, it was just my opinion...

I've raced on a lot of different ovals over the last 25 years.... big ones, small ones, banked ones, flat ones... and the ones I remember as being the most fun to race on were as I've described.

Really big ovals with lots of bank on both ends are often mostly full-punch tracks, especially with lower-power motors, and I never found that very interesting. Big ovals also tend to tear up a lot of equipment.
Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#14 Andy Watkins

Andy Watkins

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Good luck!

#15 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

the king track a good road coarse....right....seems like they are a lot out there??

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#16 Dennis David

Dennis David

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Too many

Dennis David

ncsra2.jpg

ncsra.jpg

#17 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

I also agree with the above posters on the oval, it does Not need to be huge. Why waste your money on such a large track. Slot cars are a very tough business, conserve your resources.

All the best on your endeavors!

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Younger then, wiser now

#18 macman

macman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

If you want a good, fast banked road course, get a '90s era engleman 220; fits in about the same or less space as a king & IMO a lot more pleasant drive.

Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

#19 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

what would be a good road coarse to install that everyone likes to run on.........??

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#20 Dennis David

Dennis David

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

I always liked some MTT derivative.

Dennis David

ncsra2.jpg

ncsra.jpg

#21 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Aubrey,

8500 sf?!  You got room to move thats for sure.  One things about a slot car raceway today is that you have a plethora of types and methods of operation.  Today is a time of melding Home and Commercial racing as business minded individuals are opening mini raceways in their garages and commercial raceways are opening with plastic tracks...just a lofty observation ;)

Starting out with such a large operation will be a huge task.  Need a 3 headed dept - Raceway mgr, Promotions/customer relations and Party coordinator.  Connect and solicit help from local nonprofit organizations.

Keep an eye on 1/32 scale but it is definitely a different world than 1/24 scale unless you try your hand at European 1/24 scale.

Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

#22 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

where would i find this track??

If you want a good, fast banked road course, get a '90s era engleman 220; fits in about the same or less space as a king & IMO a lot more pleasant drive.

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#23 macman

macman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Look in the tracks for sale section... One was just posted today
Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

#24 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

In your original post, you listed a king rack, a 110' oval, and a drag strip.  If you are still planning on those tracks, I would suggest a small road course like an American Royal.  They are fairly simple and much easier to learn than an MTT-type track, but the emphasis is on driving and handling rather than horsepower.  It would round out your track selection.

If you're not set on the king, an Engleman-type track would be a great choice.

#25 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

john...im for sure the tri oval...and the drag track.....im undecided on the king...tring to decide which is best.......here where im located slotcars are not popular but could be if i got this started onthe right foot.......a king track was close by about 12 years ago.......and i think there are a kingleman about 60 miles away in a club track.....im tring to build this from scratch but i want to keep everyone interested and not discourage them by putting in a track where noone can run on it being a novice.....and let it grow and maybe later on maybe put in a more drivers track....and i do want to put in a kinda big footage track....along with the small ones........i think i got my words right......any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated........thanks

In your original post, you listed a king rack, a 110' oval, and a drag strip.  If you are still planning on those tracks, I would suggest a small road course like an American Royal.  They are fairly simple and much easier to learn than an MTT-type track, but the emphasis is on driving and handling rather than horsepower.  It would round out your track selection.

If you're not set on the king, an Engleman-type track would be a great choice.

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#26 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

The only problem I would see with that Engleman that's advertised is the "blip"  just out of the deadman.  But that section could be replaced so it's straight.  Otherwise I think it's not a bad choice as that configuration is easy to learn. 

The small Royal-style track is a good track for novices, since the speeds are not as high.  I prefer the Royal over the Regal...same track, the Royal has the esses banked just slightly which makes it easier to drive.

Very hard to know in advance what the local crowd will like.  You may end up with predominantly drag racers, or oval guys, in which case the road courses may collect dust.  There certainly seems to be some retro racers nearby, so that can be a group to try and tie into. Then again, you may get people who like the speed of wing cars.  Your plan seems to cover all bases.

#27 stickkman99

stickkman99

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

well i have lots of people interested around here in it......and 90% of them are gona be novices racers for a while.....i think from what i here it will be a split between drags and roadcoarse......most drag racers will do the roadcoarse on different nights,,,,,,,,,,but i dont no about the other way around.....and i understand cause i love them both......i want a track for speed.....which i think the trioval will do that........but i also want a roadcoarse where u have to drive the coarse......am i thinking right or am i way off??

Aubrey Stapleton
Thunder Mountain Raceway

#28 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

As long as the track is not terribly difficult (like an MTT track), it's probably a matter of "if you build it, they will come".  Any of the widely used tracks will be good.  Just don't expect wing cars to work well on a small hillclmib  LOL

If you do a king or engleman, small to medium oval, small but simple road course, and a drag track, you have all the bases covered.

#29 Guy Spaulding

Guy Spaulding

Unintentional Instigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Wanna make your King different/unique?

Construct the drivers stand on the oposite side of the track, between the fingertip and the donut.  It will create a unique perspective for drivers accustomed to the king track design, and makes it much better for martialling your own car during practice. (Not as far to walk around to the far corners)  This makes it a better rental track too.

173548759346958.1480.1688182746.png
Promote Your Page Too">Check us out on FaceBook

#30 macman

macman

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Guy, I heartily disagree with this!!! You are thinking if the Concord Cobra... All drivers are totally blind coming out of the bank into the deadman. Challenging to the experienced driver like yourself, but IMO a disaster for rookies who really do need to see their car in that abrupt transition from high to low speed.
Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Electric Dreams Online Shop