85 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I am going to the Rocky Mountain Retro Challenge in Colorado in 2 weeks.  I did a post in their sub forum asking for help in setting up cars.  But I decided to post a request here for overall help with an IRRA stock car specifically.

At our local tracks we run the old D3 stock car rules.  Several basic differences.  We allow anglewinders, .750 front tires, .015 clearance in the front, no guide lead restriction, and no body height restrictions.  Compared to our cars, driving an IRRA stock car is like navigating a brick.

I have been able to stay competitive using an inline car, so I was thinking about building up a new car just for this race, then converting it to a D3 version after the race is over.  I am considering building my first z-rail car.  Basically I want to know if it would be worth it, or if anybody has any suggestions that might make for a car that is easier to drive, especially on an unfamiliar track.  I plan to use the Parma Cyclone body, but have another choice if that doesn't work.  I forget the make, but it is the longest stock car body available.

Suggestions?

Ken Bryan

• John C Martin and George Blaha like this

#2 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Ken,

I have recently joined the "5 second club" with the Stock Cars so I can speak from a barely valid experience base. I have noticed that people here in CO make very stiff, very heavy cars (some of the faster ones have been well over 150 - 160 grams when the minimum is 120) to overcome the top heavy body. Some have a lot of pan movement, some just a little, some are "shaker plates" pans. I am the only one that is building "Z Rail" cars but, so far, only in F1 and Stock Cars. But they are not "traditional" (you will see when you get here - there is a picture of my F1 car in the most recent race report - a hint at how non-traditional it is).

That always seems like a safe choice for a Retro Stock Car but IRRA rules do not allow PD motors so you will really be taxing a Falcon 7 (they get hot pulling that much weight around).

I might be on my own here but I gear mine the same as the F1 and Can Am with a Falcon motor, 8 into 28. I run a little lighter than 150 but it is still really heavy. It all hinges on finding a motor that pulls the weight well without overheating. I try a lot of motors but you will not have that luxury unless you arrive a day early to test. The motors that dyno the best are not necessarily the ones that will pull a Stock Car around.

I checked our track power voltage yesterday with a new fangled Third Eye controller (not mine) that has the digital display - it hovers between 13.6 and 13.8V - I think this explains why our Falcon 7 motors have not been surviving a second race lately. I have to believe this voltage has been creeping up or that the quality of the Falcon motors has been trailing off lately.

I am really starting to like the PD motors for their consistency (week after week) and I am starting to like "attacking" my laps and just staying on top of the car rather than settling into a lazy rythym (not the fast way, using a good Falcon 7 motor, but it has been the way to get the most laps). I would strongly suggest sticking with a PD for Can Am and F1 - I like 7t into 28t. Dennis Sampson won the F1 race last year with a PD motor - maybe he will chime in on what he used.

The problem lately (with the Falcon 7 motors here) is that they just give up their brakes and only a few controller types can be adjusted sufficiently to "keep up" with the increasing loss of brakes. That usually happens at the end of the first race or in the middle of the second race, in my experience, so that shouldn't affect your Stock Car in just one race.

Keep your practice time at around 2 minutes max and let the motor cool completely before going again in order to maintain the life of the Stock Car Falcon 7 motor.

Or, you could do us all a favor and bring a TSR motor. Our track owner has never had them on the shelf and it just might be the way to go in the Stock Car class (but probably not at 13.7 V!). 

The Dodge Charger, Dodge Daytona, Mercury Cyclone and the new O/S Torino (suspiciously similar to the Parma Cyclone) all run at the front here. Some guys have made the Fairlane run well and one fellow runs an old 63 Chevy and does real well with it. I am a Ford guy and I really like the Cyclone and the Torino. The older O/S Torino Talledega is just not wide enough if you trim the wheel wells legally. 

We are looking forward to having you join us at the Challenge, Ken.

I will be testing the Friday before the race - if you can make it, we can try a lot of things to get you going well.

Keep it in the slot (and you will do well),

AJ

• George Blaha likes this

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#3 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

hi ajand ken, i have been useing the allowed in irra chineese puppy dog motors for about a year and a half and no motor failures once they are remanned.

They usually require when originally remanned a new arm AND they do require special gearing....even on a king track 7/27 to 7/29. The disadvantage to the motor is  

it has too much brakes on a roll (from a track call) ,the TSR and falcons roll many sections.... depending how many track calls it can total into a couple of laps.

There is much less heat loss in the chineese pupppy dog when geared properly.

If it is legal where you are located, try it out. I even have some geared with 6 tooth. Like i said , after a remann, they have been 100 percent good.George

#4 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Ken if you are building a new chassis I suggest looking at the "mike katz chassis builds" thread for some stock car chassis that I have built that are easy to build and work real well on any type of track.

• Joe Mig, George Blaha and Brian Russo like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#5 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

mikes work is awesome
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...yjohncreations/
Email me

#6 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

Road course 130-135 grams, oval 10 to 20 More on left pan of same chassis... Tried a 155 on road course, but tooooo much inertia!!!
Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Yes, I am a sarcastic, smart-azz, know-it-all old bastard of a genius. 
What is old is new again... Retro... Gotta love it !!!
"May all your inlines be Retro, my son."
The Englelman: a truly superior design.

#7 Les Boyd

Les Boyd

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

hi ajand ken, i have been useing the allowed in irra chineese puppy dog motors for about a year and a half and no motor failures once they are remanned.

They usually require when originally remanned a new arm AND they do require special gearing....even on a king track 7/27 to 7/29. The disadvantage to the motor is  

it has too much brakes on a roll (from a track call)

Running any motor with a 7/27 to 7/29 gear ratio will increase the brakes. See what happens if you gear a Falcon 7 that low. What gives the Falcon 7 so much roll is the gear ratio that can be run. Those motors (Falcon7) can be run on the same track with a 9/28 because of the magnets they have, and sure they will roll further than a PS 4002 with a 7/27 gear ratio.

#8 usadar

usadar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

I have just been to our Retro Tokyo Race#4 at my raceway, Cheerio SpeedWay.

The race result will be soon posted at our web-site: http://retro-tokyo.com/

What I was amazed so much is that our racers showed a great interest in IRRA Stock Car class.

Although I imported Parma & OS stock car bodies, Parma stock car interiors & JK stock car fronts for me to study the future of that class in our racing program, many racers bought the necessary parts to build stock cars.

I am thinking of our chassis kit producer, Nobu Hanada to make a proto-type kit for the classs.

Please stay tuned,

Haruki

• Gator Bob likes this
Haruki Kan
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo
Retro Tokyo on Facebook

Where do we go from here: chaos or community?

#9 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

The stock cars look so cool running on the tracks. They just look more right. Maybe even in Japan?:) What a world.

Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#10 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

hey les,

if you ran a fk motor on the king in a stock car 7/28 it would be slow....... the chineese 4002 cranks. when the chineese armed 4002 was legal in gp/f1 it ran well and with the better handeling platform and with the less track calls was a very effective alternative to the american armed 4002. now they are not legal.the chineese 4002 require this gearing as they have less low end torque than a fk yet plenty of horse power at higher rpm.   

#11 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

It is really tough showing up with a first time IRRA Stock Car chassis and having to race it on your second visit to the track. Ken's car was just not balanced - the rear grip seemed to be vexing him with several barrel rolls occurring at each of the hairpin turns.

Seeing his struggle, I offered him a couple of my Stock Car chasses to try. I am so very proud that Ken took me up on my offer to race the front-motored Stock Car chassis but insisted that he use his own Cyclone body as it was just too pretty to not race (pictures will, hopefully, show up in the race report).

Our resident Slot Savant, Trevor, borrowed an older chassis and put one more race on the Wood Brothers body, so I ended up with three cars in the race! In fact, I spent a lot of my time thrashing other people's cars together before each of the races.

Really glad you were able to join us, Ken. I had a great time watching my loaner cars go by while marshaling!

AJ

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:

, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#12 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

You guys make a stock car sound like a Jaildoor car. They are not that bad to drive, yes, they drive different but still handle pretty well. THey are fun on a road course and an oval. The bodies work about all the same, in lieu of most thinking some handle so much better. I have raced the Chevelle against the Daytona, Charger and Mercs and was just as fast as they were and faster than some. IMO, if the class was offered up more in the regions, it would grow more. If I were King, I would make some subtle changes to the rules but I am but a subject..............................:)

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#13 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Rick have you ever driven a Jail Door Sports Car?  The best handling cars and the most fun of all the classes!!

• Joe Mig and George Blaha like this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#14 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Partial Member
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Yes I have. If that's what we had to race today, I would slit my throat. hahahahahahahaha

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#15 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Rick,

I agree that Stock Cars are a blast to drive. I like them MUCH better than the F1 cars, which are just too close to the Can Am cars for my sensibilities. It's a challenge to get a Stock Car to be raceable but, once they are, they can be pushed and are a hoot to race side-by-side!

But you have to admit, after racing Stock Cars (we always run them first), the Can Am cars seem like Wing cars!

And I agree, there is not a lot to be gained in the bodies - they are all top heavy and that is what you need to overcome with a lot of low placed weight. The cars are working when you get that balance where the rear tires will slide and "kick-out" when slightly overdriven but still hook up after a tight turn when driven right. I love 'em!

AJ

Entitlement:

#16 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Yes I have. If that's what we had to race today, I would slit my throat. hahahahahahahaha

There must have been something drastically wrong with the JD car that you drove then.  I have not seen anyone yet that does not think they handle great and are the most fun to race. You are welcomed to try mine out anytime.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#17 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Dear Mr R GEO The most noble potentate of the slot car hobby,

1966 ruled cars(called jaildoor today) are the same type of fun as retro cars are and also retro stock cars......unfortunatley the same guys most always win either they are much better cheaters(and THEY are not cheaters)

or they are better drivers (which THEY are better drivers). You may include youself in the THEY group. Racing slot cars was and is for me fun. Thanks mike for the fun still in slot car racing.

SHAKEY

#18 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hey ya awl Retro Stock Racers,

Retro East™ is looking to acknowledge the most funnest class (7th season) with the most beautiful plaques for the podium finishers in Retro Stock Cars. The other plaques for the other classes are cool too. Get a schedule and participate.

George Shakey Blaha

P.S. Show me real Retro Stock Car driver, and I'll show you a confirmed alkyhauler.

• Gator Bob likes this

#19 jrpav

jrpav

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

OK so what would be a good "first Retro stock-car" chassis setup? I'd like to build from scratch but if you give me a few examples of some good working chassis I can try to incorporate some of the ideas. I guess I'd be interested in a kit as well.

Rick - drive Mike's Lotus JDSC. I felt the same way about JD as you do until I drove that car. What fun! Almost like a BIG Aurora T-Jet! Not hard to drive at all even though it's not stuck like glue to the track. Slow enough to see what's going on and a challenge to make headway against a good driver on another lane. Looking forward to racing my own chassis (built on your jig) this season.

John Pavlick

#20 W. J. Dougherty

W. J. Dougherty

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Try this:

http://slotblog.net/...-by-step-build/

Yortuk & Georg Festrunk

#21 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

John,

Try two rails of .078". Shaker pan or hinged with limited movement. Four rails of .063 works well at SAL's. We run on the King and Kingleman.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#22 jrpav

jrpav

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

That R-Geo kit looks pretty nice. Sort of a tri-pod / torsion kinda thing. Looks like it might be relatively easy to tune with a bite bar. I'll see if Jim at HVR can get one for me.

John Pavlick

#23 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

:) John I suggest making a replica of the one I have been building and racing since we started Retro Stock Car. Probably the most podiums for any retro chassis ever. Check out the Mike Katz Chassis Builds post for some pictures of a few I recently built for Charlie and Phil. Very simple with no kit needed--just a 1 inch bracket and 1inch x.062 brass for the nose, a guide tongue and 3/4 x .032 pans. The rails are .078. I have built about 10 of these and they all work great.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#24 MantaRay

MantaRay

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

John,

Try two rails of .078". Shaker pan or hinged with limited movement. Four rails of .063 works well at SAL's. We run on the King and Kingleman.

Wow...TWO Rails of .078..............Have any pics

Ray Price
11/4/49-1/23/15
Requiescat in Pace

#25 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

:) Ray  check my last post. Also look at the Retro east race reports for podium pictures of my chassis with .078 rails.

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#26 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Katz is right. He has been running that car on ovals, kings and hill climbs all ver successfully

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#27 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

hey john pavlick,

Build it like Mike The Katz suggested and refine it for your particular track. His chassis are very tuneable........his stockers are the envy of many of IRRAtm retro stock car drivers. Follow the IRRAtm rules from the website and you'll be selling moonshine real soon.

George Shakey Blaha

P.S. Enjoying the tuning process as it makes the retro stock car racing fun!

#28 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

hey ya awl,

I got to see Port Jefferson last night and it is some real sweet potato(e) of a King track.Doug and the crew are preparing for the IRRAtm Retro Easttm hoedown this

Saturday.

Even got to try my IRRAtm Retro Stock Cars.......the were faster than Junior Johnson making a late nite delivery with a tail wind! Can't wait till we rub colors

here.....unfortunately Retro Stock Cars are not this week.

George Shakey Blaha

• Joe Mig likes this

#29 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

hey Slots-a Lot WEDNESDAY IRRAtm RETRO STOCK CAR Racers,

Ran 7 to 28 gearing for the King...could have gone with a 6 to 27 .....track used spay glue but was slick for a while.

Michelle, thank you for running the race and the running commentaries. Cody Alexander and Nicky worked hard to marshal the debris hulks into the most appropriate lane by the indicated sticker on the IRRAtm Retro Stock Car. I had " not good moonshiners luck " on black lane (in the bagel {doughnut} ) hit an adversary stocker on multiple occasions till the Chinese 4002 engine shifted and the rear axel bearings and gears gave up their lives. Resuscitative  work was needed to be completed before reentry into the swine infested stocker race. I'll be back soon to avenge the mechanical damage incurred on my car by the most unscrupulous drivers on the east or west coasts and all states in between!

Snidely Whiplash    

aka Shakey 

P.S. Thanks for a great time......next time it is MY TURN!

#30 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

"Bagel.... what's a Bagel"

I might trade my tm for a dozen real water ones, we only have Donuts here. No onions... or everything.

Triple Drat on those shifty Chinese take out(s)

• Joe Mig likes this

- WDzqYLKlZcbyIJAbLTxE.png

Bob Israelite

#31 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

hey gator bob,

Cool car-tunes.....the IRRAtm Retro Stockers are STILL whale-ing at Slots-a-Lot. No (k)new bodies as of yhet. Crashed and burned real bad Wednesday so it will need some new plumbing to carry its load.

Portly Jeff this weekend is the retro venue.

Shakey

#32 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

Check this body out :shok:  :D

http://slotblog.net/...er/#entry497023

Bob Israelite

#33 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

Yeah Gator bob!,

Great possible IRRAtm Retro Stock Car Body!

yeah, I saw it the other day and I was with hope that others would notice and that there is a similar vintage monte and matador on the same blog . If only I could influence the Board of Directors to persue a manufacturer or find the demand for such lovely iron trash ladies so maybe we can get some variety to our alky-haulers!

George

#34 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Divine Simplicity isn't it.... :D

All bodies (and posts) Must be Approved by Bod :shok:

"Does not the mountain need the storm?" ^_^

Bob Israelite

#35 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

hey ya all,

Another great Retro Stock Car race last night at Slots-A-Lot and we all used the official rag and IRRAtm Tire Cleaner on a less than grippy Kingleman track surface. There were 8 drivers and 3 Ghosts from "the choir" so we had fast cars and even better marshaling. The first four alky-haulers were separated by less than four laps and the totals were the highest 8 average since the conception of the Retro Stock Car Class nearly a year ago. There was less than 35 laps between the top 'pro' and the last 'am' so the 'ams' are where the 'pros' were last year. The revanouers have been fighting a loosing war lately so three cheers to the AMERICAN Retro Stock Car drivers! 

George Shakey Blaha

P.S. Youze guys found out the Mighty Joe Mig Retro Stocker 'secret tire prep'.....1 part lox oil, 1 part Preparation H, 1 part Ben Gay, 1 part glycerin, 1 part STP, 1 part Lubriplate, 1 part WD40, 1 part Marvel Mystery Oil, 1 part oil of wintergreen and 3 garlic cloves.

P.P.S. Where is all my retro stock car buddies to help me and sam find the molds and/or the bodies to expand the stock car list to ALL American Stock Cars manufactured/raced during the legal years currently listed by the IRRAtm?

#36 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

What other bodies could be made?  We already have Chevy, Ford, Mercury and Dodge from 1968-69..  From everything I have seen, that's all there was, except maybe a back-marker Pontiac.  What else is there?

"Whatever..."

#37 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

If your dead ask stuck on 1966-1969. Which of course might be too limiting.

Coronet

Road Runner

Fury

Belvedere  

Galaxy 500

Bob Israelite

#38 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions. It appears Nascar and Usac both allowed older race cars to compete in their grand national events. And yes there were plenty of Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles in competition in 1965 (where the fullsize Chevy and the Malibu IRRAtm approved bodies fit nicely but they need some company). Who makes some like year  or would like to make vac formed lightweight Stockcar bodies for the IRRA BOD to examine? 

Shakey

#39 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

And ARCA too.

The ones that I have contacted in this regard are not pulling Lexan only PETG. 

Credit to Hugh "Rusty Pinion" on some 'other' cars.

http://slotblog.net/...ls/#entry499158

Bob Israelite

#40 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

hey ya all,

Race IRRAtm Retro Stockers this week on Wednesday August 28 2013 on the SLOTS-A-LOT King. Get ready for Retro Stockers at Hudson Valley September 21. Times on both tracks are similar but each has it's limits. Learn to stay on the track better by increasing your practice time with Long Islands faster drivers. 

Shakey George and the Choir

#41 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'll be at Slots-a-Lot tonight.......be here or be no-where!

Shakey George

P.S. "Let It Be"

#42 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

hey ya all,

It was a real close IRRAtm Retro Stocker race last night at Slots-A-Lot Raceway on the King. From last to first was less than 38 laps and there were fewer track calls that made a low power King into the Autoban! Auto setup has become the winning factor.The "pro class" laps were between 233 and 246 laps (a new high for me of 238....could have been more) and in the "amature class" laps were between 208 and 228......what fast amatures.Those that missed this event are out of luck and are "could have beens".

Shakey George

P.S. Get your IRRAtm Retro Stockers ready for the RETRO EASTtm extravaganza  on September 21 at Hudson Valley Raceway on the KING! The food is real good at HVR so be prepared for a few oldsters having a sleepy final.

#43 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

hey dudes and duddettes,

IRRAtm Retro Stockers on the King Track at Hudson Valley Raceway on Saturday September 21 run by Retro Easttm. See you all there or be square.

Shakey George

#44 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

hey ya all,

It  seems that the SAL Raceway poster is on strike along with the Mickey D employees for the racing results September 4, 2013. Cueball Gene, Pat the Cat, and Shakey George were the podium snatchers this week on the Kingleman. The race supporters need better treatment than this. 

George Shakey Blaha

#45 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

well ya all,

The start of a new semester, Memories of 911, the newest and latest global war, crazy high heat, and the worst traffic alert day in 10 years could not stop the greatest little slot car race in New York City. 

Another podium finish for : LiL Time Kenny, Shakey George, and Sam I Am. Artie HANDS and Wingman Sean brought up a real tight IRRAtm Retro Stock Car formation. Mighty Joe Mig ran the race and filled the raceway with live entertainment

and descriptive commentaries. Sorry no pictures as I am only a fill in and I was not prepared for the Polaroid moment.  

Shakey George

P.S. We will be on the King again on September 18 to prepare for Retro Easttm Race at Hudson Valley Raceway on September 21. Come Set your Stock Car up and yourself for A Main status!

P.P.S. Matt, Ray, Roger, Noose, Johnny VW, ED-SOUL and the Choir should all be glad LiL Time Kenny will not be allowed out to attend HVR on Sept 21. But beware...the CAT and the Cueball will attend.

• Joe Mig likes this

#46 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

hey ya all......did you hear the good news,

IRRAtm Retro Stockers to be included the Retro Palooza in the spring......sounds real good to all us alky-haulers! Thanks to the fermentation gods.

Shakey George

P.S. Wonder if the NEW Fk motor will be the engine of choice for these Heavy Tanks?

#47 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

hey ya all,

Great IRRAtm Retro Easttm this past weekend at Hudson Valley Raceway and 2 of us from Slots-A-Lot podiumed the b main! Mike Katz (HVR), Shakey George Blaha (SAL), and the Smoke Mark (SAL) ran up some lap totals that could place them in the a main. Mighty Joe Mig and NY Nick rounded out the foursome from Slots-A-Lot. The Stockcars are becoming the most fun vehicles to compete with and the tightest group of drivers for commeradarie. Thanks ya all for the race this past Saturday.

Shakey George

• Gator Bob likes this

#48 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

hey ya all and all members of the choir,

The next Retro Stock Car Race in the Retro Easttm Program at Fast Tracks on December 14. Do not be afraid of the BIG BOYS.......this is the one class the medium guyZ(and dollZ) can get some points and rubbing fenders can take on a new feeling! These guyZ are getting older by the minute (it's NOOSES BIRTHDAY today) and their wheelchairs do not get any faster even with Trinity Juice. Let's get the whole IRRAtm Tabernacle choir here and sing

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vpuw49r1dYU Rapid Roy the Stock Car Boy (Jim Croce).

Shakey George Blaha

The Retro Stock Car Promoter

#49 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Some words are interchangeable - some are not.

Bob Israelite

#50 George Blaha

George Blaha

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hey ya all,

IRRA™ Retro Stock Car - October 2, 2013, Slots-A-Lot Raceway

Cueball Gene tried to 8 ball Pat the Cat but Pat licked his wiskers to a first place podium finish and Gene had to settle for second on the King. Shakey George finished third in spite of a yellow fever attack of hidden alky-haulers under the bridge. Smoken Mark (4th) put on a great show but suffered from Smoke Stewart empathy. Samiam Sam (5th) turned some of the fastest times of the night on the worst lanes. Casey Jones had the Blues on blue lane and visited the bank  more than any car could take. He came back later in the race (6) and shoved Hands Arthur back to 7th. Wingman Sean took a stand and left in disgust on a unannounced rule change (no marshal in the 90* and no track call for under the bridge....it totaled his new body AND created an argument between the racers......if you are going to change a house rule you must announce it BEFORE the race so choir members can make a decision.......It surprised me also and my old body after wrecking in the first heat on yellow, was taped back to some semblance of order.). Sorry Sean, we'll talk to Kenny about rule change announcements in the future. I've got too much at stake for the group of IRRAtm Long Island Retro Drivers.

Shakey George Blaha

Electric Dreams Online Shop