#1 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Tyco-B hybrid motors

During the Pittman Era, the practice of de-winding and re-winding slot car armatures to improve their performance was still fairly uncommon.  Instead, builders swapped armatures between motor setups in an attempt to get an edge on the competiton.

Swapping a high performance Pittman DC-196B or DC-65A-6 armature into a Tyco sidewinder made it into a hybrid motor builders and racers called a Tyco-B.

Some builders also replaced the stock Tyco brush assembly with equivalent parts from the DC-65 motor.

Jack Beers wrote: The arm from the 196B was also a good swap into the Tyco sidewinder motor-especially with ball bearings. I would routinely use brushes, brush plate and the plunger and spring assembly from the 65A to complete the job. The 65A6V arm was also a popular swap into the Tyco sidewinder back then. This was maybe 3-4 months before we saw the first can motors with real speed-late 1964-early 1965.

The "Tyco-B" conversion, as it was called was employed by several of the hotshoes at Motorama whan I raced there. I had built a car with a stock 6V Tyco and gotten clobbered by 2 of them in a weekly race. After that I built 2 or 3 of them (the old gray matter is somewhat foggy here) and was able to run with the fast guys for a little while and actually win a couple. The 3-pole 196B arm seemed to have more snap off the corners than the 5-pole 65 arms but not quite as much top speed. Not surprising, but the 196B arm seemed to fit my driving "style" (such as it was) a bit better.

If you have additional information and/or photos of hybrid Tyco sidewinder motors, please reply!

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

#2 rewinder

rewinder

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Location:Somewhere in the panhandle of TX near way too much plutonium…

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

The Tyco inline motor was made a dud and is probably the hardest motor to rewind because it is a dead boat anchor.

The Atlas 406 has tremendous rewind potential.

Do you have any 406s you want to sell or trade for something that you would rather have?

Clay Parker

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Need more info and photos!

Electric Dreams Online Shop