Photo

Vintage Autos Demo Derby - who remembers this?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Who remembers this classic from long ago? I was a freshman in high school when I first had the magazine this was in.

Can you ID it? I am sure PdL will point out any inacuracies... :)

slotblog 383.jpg

slotblog 384.jpg

lpage.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 sub006

sub006

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well drawn.  A nightmare for the Ralph Lauren/Pebble Beach/$$$$ auction crowd.

But I suspect Jay Leno would smile and "get it".

Jim Smith

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Great strip Joe. No idea what magazine this came from - it really doesn't ring any bells... 

Now, strangely enough my friend Pierre-Yves here in Paris says that he remembers some French "stock car" races (really a form of demolition derby) using cars like Bugattis, which weren't worth that much at the time.... 

Don 

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

If anybody cares it's from the November 1972 issue of National Lampoon. Full of off color humor just the way I like it :laugh2:

Don, I can relate to cheap old cars. I had many super desirable muscle cars that I bought for peanuts back in the day. I bought a 1969 Chevelle SS396 with the 375 horse solid lifter motor from the factory. Bought it for $150! The guys girlfriend threw a piece of cinder block through the windshield :shok: I cut a used ( read free ) windshield out of a '70 Monte Carlo with a guitar string and two vise grips!Threw it in the Chevelle and went street racing the same day. The Chevelle with the 375 horse motor is rare and I imagine it's worth a little more than $150 today :D After I beat the **** out of it for a few months I sold it for $700. A great profit back in the day.

• endbelldrive likes this

Joe Lupo

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Here's a link from Pierre-Yves on the début of "Stock Cars" in "Buffalo Stadium", in the Paris suburb of Montrouge in 1953: 

http://www.nitromag....ete-ses-60-ans/

Strange that the French used the term stock car for what was actually a Demolition Derby - guess it shows the international reputation of stock car racing at the time! 

And that's where Pierre-Yves heard that "a fair number of classics were destroyed" - not absolutely sure however, that Bugattis and Delahayes were really used in these demo derbies... 

Don 

#6 zipper

zipper

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

Strange that the French used the term stock car for what was actually a Demolition Derby - guess it shows the international reputation of stock car racing at the time! 

In late 50's/early 60's I remember in my hometown was a "race" called Stock Car - they were merely demolition derby cars, painted white with red trim. Lots of scrapped ones was the result. Probably they used that term somewhat widely at those times in Europe - don't know.

Pekka Sippola

Electric Dreams Online Shop