7 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

2.4GHz digital wireless technology transforms 50-year old analog slot-car market by supporting up to 20 cars per track, two different tracks, and lane changers.

(Thanks to Paul Kassens at OWH for pointing us to this new technology.)

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#2 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

The 1/32 manufacturers made a huge mistake by not agreeing on a common format, like model railroad manufacturers did. Now the manufacturers have to get on board with this.

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

I agree completely, John.

But the really smart move was the National Model Railroading Association's actions in researching and promulgating digital "Recommended Practices", later converted to an open standard, in the early days of digital control. They handed the MR manufacturers a solution on a plate and essentially "seduced" the industry into heading down the proper common path.

That's the kind of impact a well-supported industry association can have and why I've claimed for so long that the slot car industry desperately needs something similar.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,913 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

The French Davic system was the first and still the best, but Scalex, Carrera, and the other slot car companies simply were not about to buy the license, and they should have.

Hence we have the mess that digital is today in slot car racing, a good reflection in one of the reasons why the hobby died in 1968: greedy idiots at the helm.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#5 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

No one who has tried Digital 1/32 is very excited about it... At least not here in Southern California... That is why more of us have gone to custom wood routed tracks, and that is on the rise, with three new wood tracks opening up within the last month...  Who wants some noose ramming him from behind???  This is not realistic racing... After all, it is slot racing...  

Show me who has a great digital set-up??? Who has a great digital racing program going...  this is all still fantasy.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#6 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,031 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hey Mill,

I don't race digital. My digits work fine in Retro. LOL.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies
Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,913 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Interestingly, it is the total opposite in Europe where digital is commonly used in most of the racing programs in France and Italy, that is, with 1/32 scale true models (vs "slot cars") in long endurance contests of 12 and 24 hours...

Generally using huge four-lane track layouts with Davic switches, with as many as 16 to 24 drivers at the same time. I saw a 24-hour race once near Paris and no one had any trouble with crashes or anything, really.

It was not that slow either.

Two continents, two very different concepts...

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#8 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Oh yeah---I've played with Scalextric digital and it is VERY FUN!!!! But the problem was getting all the different cars set up to run on the track---everyone had different digital chips for their cars and there was not an easy chip to fit in all the different cars!! It's VERY fun---and should be great for racing---but not enough cars--mine would only support 6 at a time---and plastic track were why I didn't move it to my routed track.  IF the manufacturer's got together and used a COMMON format---we could see a huge growth in digital---but it won't happen until then!! So for now--I'm routed and analogue!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop