#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

k-bigpic.jpg

"Oh, around 11,400 or so. Kind of obscene."

My cousin has a problem. Addiction. Obsession. Or maybe just an awesome hobby! Andy is a rabid collector of toy cars of all types, but by far his collection is composed of Hot Wheels cars. The grand total comes to over 11,400 cars. He has them stored in a database, but the purchases never stop, so when I phoned him he couldn't give me a precise number. In fact, I try to find cars for him as I travel, but I always fail. He's only interested in cars with soft-rubber wheels and they're not exactly labeled clearly.
As a young lad, I won't post the year to protect his youthful age, Andy bought a Red Line Hot Wheels "TNT Bird" - a Ford Thunderbird with a bulging engine eliciting visions of a car that would rip up the pavement of unsuspecting road. He still has it.

ku-xlarge.jpg

EXPAND
Lined up behind it are more of his original acquisitions. If you look carefully, you'll note the car racks go from floor to ceiling and wrap around the room taking up nearly every square inch of wall space. Andy's wife is a saint. In fact, she's an enabler in my opinion - an enabler of the best sort.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ze]EXPAND
Andy was explaining to me the significance of the wheels and gets so complicated that I can barely keep up with him. He's an engineer after all. On the topic of Hot Wheels Redline wheels: "When hot wheels first came out they had red line tires. There were three generations of those tires, after the red line went away they called them Basic wheels or black walls. The originals with the red lines are the most sought after. They were originally two-piece wheels, this is what collectors really like. The follow-on single piece wheels were cheaper to produce and they replaced the two piece wheels." Now Hot Wheels is all over the map on their wheels as I've discovered in my shopping expeditions.

By far the most interesting cars are his truly old ones:

1956 Matchbox Marshall Horse Box - a toy version of a horse truck. It can fetch anywhere from $60 to $272 according to Toymart.

ku-xlarge.jpg

ze]EXPAND
My photography skills were missing on the day I shot some of these pictures, so here's the picture found on ToyMart:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Next to it in my picture is the 1957 Matchbox Bedford 7-ton Tipper. Here's a better picture, though the cab color is different:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ze=3]EXPAND[/size]
Of course no collection would be right without Ferraris and Andy has plenty of them, but the one that caught my eye was his Hot Wheels 1971 or 1972 Ferrari 312P with the single-piece wheel design. It's beat up, but I can imagine the "vroom-vroom" sounds emanating from a

younger Andy as it raced the Living Room Gran Prix.

ku-xlarge.jpg

EXPAND
And let's not forget Batman!

ku-xlarge.jpg

Ernie Layacan

#2 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I enjoy collecting myself. I just picked up a couple of nice early Superfasts (Iso Grifo, Carabo, and Charger III) and a rough but displayable magenta Hairy Hauler. It's a lot of fun to just pick up the cars that catch your eye. I even recently started in on picking up Tomica and Husky cars.

Operator - Haven Raceway, Hot Wheels Haven at Carlisle

#3 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

We had Dinkys. Until they stooped to the level of the Hot Wheels to compete for the tasteless teen market, they had class. I personally feel, as a former toy designer, that Hot Wheels never did have any, and still do not today. Too gaudy, blinding, irritating colors, too rough of castings, simply cheap Chinese crap.

My opinion of course, and others are free to think differently. I prefer toys that are bright in their execution and not needing dark sunglasses to enjoy.

(My buddy Larry Wood who created those horrors, will have a contract on my head by about 2 PM today!   :laugh2: )

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#4 Big Durl

Big Durl

Pretty on the inside

• Moderator2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Wow! Nice collection.

I came along at about the time when Dinkys and Matchbox cars were all the rage. For me, Matchboxes were barely affordable and Dinkys were beyond the pale, though my best friend at the time had a set of eight or nine indy-style cars, and they were really cool. What I played with were those tiny, featureless little lead cars you could find at the five a dime (rather than a hobby shop or toy store) for a dollar or two (for a set of eight!).  By the time I could afford to buy Matchbox cars with impudence, I was on to other things, plastic models, comic books, etc.

Hot Wheels came along just a bit too late for me to get on the bandwagon, though the first ones seemed pretty cool. But, like so many things that become successful, in the marketplace, they became so ubiquitous and overwhelming that they lost any appeal they had for me. I still look at them on the racks or in antique stores just to see if they are any better, but am always disappointed.

I'm thinking that Andy is in his late forties/early fifties, and for him Hot Wheels are his Dinky. Okay, that didn't come out right. For most of us, we collect the things from our youth that were either lost or desired, and "quality" is rarely the point. I admire Andy for his dedication and passion, but most of all for his ability to find a saintly wife.   :D

Darryl Vance

Posted Image

"So, basically, it's a bunch of boomers trying to re-live their youth?" - my nephew

#5 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

We had Dinkys. Until they stooped to the level of the Hot Wheels to compete for the tasteless teen market, they had class. I personally feel, as a former toy designer, that Hot Wheels never did have any, and still do not today. Too gaudy, blinding, irritating colors, too rough of castings, simply cheap Chinese crap.

My opinion of course, and others are free to think differently. I prefer toys that are bright in their execution and not needing dark sunglasses to enjoy.

(My buddy Larry Wood who created those horrors, will have a contract on my head by about 2 PM today!    :laugh2: )

P,

Sometimes you can be such a poop...  :)

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products

The A Team: "Love when a plan comes together"

MadeinAmerica.png     ka.final.jpg   antiRH.jpg

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

At 97¢ each at Target, I think you can't get more bang for your buck.

I think they're cool, even when kids that get them for birthday party favors at the raceway, roll 'em around my tracks, and I have to shag them out of the infield on the King. LOL.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman

Eight-time G7 King track single lap World Record holder
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990) 

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003

mikeswiss86@hotmail.com  (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Sometimes you can be such a poop...

Sometimes??? LOL!
Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think they're cool, even when kids that get them for birthday party favors at the raceway, roll 'em around my tracks, and I have to shag them out of the infield on the King. LOL.

Look at the bright side: after such annoyances, you get to send them home with their parents... LOL!
Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

#9 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Sometimes you can be such a poop...  :)

simply cheap Chinese crap.

PdL,

I agree with Rick.

Not everything in the world has to be high art.

Thank God, you let your hair down once in a while, put a lamp shade on, stick an inexpensive Chinese motor in one of your toy cars, or Bryan Warmack's, and whoop it up a bit.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman

Eight-time G7 King track single lap World Record holder
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990) 

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003

mikeswiss86@hotmail.com  (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

I love cars. I love toys. I do not like ugly cars or toys that much. Ugly to me, wonderfully beautiful to others.

So call me a poop for ruining the party, but I would rather be honest with my own feelings. I am calling no one a poop for liking these toys, and as I said, others are free to differ.

For me, Hot Wheels were the beginning of the end of beautiful automobile toys made in the 1950s and 1960s. Now walk today in a Toys-R-Us and you tell me if you think that what you see on every shelf is really that fabulous.

Direct descendent of Hot Wheels, designed by people who do not have the greatest interest of your children in mind. The Brits that were laboring on the Dinkys (before their pollution), DID love children. Their product showed it.

:)
Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 15,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

That's OK, P. We know how you are and love you anyway.

I'd just like to see a pic of you actually letting your hair down... LOL!
Gregory Wells

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I have some of those but I don't know if they are suitable for publication... :laugh2:
Philippe de Lespinay

#13 The Bugman

The Bugman

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Greg, there ain't that much hair to let do ANYTHING... much less down.
Oscar Morales
8/16/49-9/18/13
Requiescat in Pace

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

You got a point there. But there was a time when I could...

pdl_1975_1.jpg

:shok:

Philippe de Lespinay

#15 Mark H

Mark H

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

ku-xlarge.jpg

I have two of these LOL. And a collector that opens the package! it wont be MIP anymore! Just kidding... looks like a lot of Hot Wheels.

I have nine of my dad's Red Lines, some old Lesney Matchbox. and a ton of Tootsietoys.
Mark Haas

#16 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

That little Matchbox horsebox is cute. I like those much better than the ugly Hot Wheels.

Philippe de Lespinay

#17 Mark H

Mark H

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

The old Matchbox cars have a lot of charm. I am a sucker for the Hotwheels "Spectra Flame" paint jobs though. :)
Mark Haas

#18 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well, I can only say that I wasn't there for when Lesney rolled out the Superfast cars, or when Husky became Corgi Junior, and by the time I got my very first Hot Wheels, they were on blue blistercards and the "redline" was long gone.

But I love all three, and even I'm starting to eyeball the truly neat Tomica cars from Japan that weren't brought over.

I like cars. I have a Superfast Iso Grifo because I want an Iso Grifo FIRST and because I want Lesneys second. It's the same reason that the redline Maserati Mistral is on my list of "must haves".

#19 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

In the late 1960s, there were two Italian companies producing pretty nice toys/models of exotic Italian cars. One was Mercury, the other Politoys. Politoys did the Iso Grifo, it was quite a beauty. Another company in France, Solivac, also did absolutely gorgeous Italian exotics. I remember a Ferrari 250GTE, a Lancia Flaminia coupe, and  Maserati Mistral in particular. All these put to shame any of the gaudy Hot Wheels... different clientele, and those companies died while the Hot Wheels survived.

Bad taste always wins in this world, simply look at my avatar to see what I mean... :shok: :laugh2:

Hot Wheels Maserati Mistral:

mistral.jpg

Solivac Maserati Mistral:

solido.jpg

I rest my case.
Philippe de Lespinay

#20 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

I definitely agree the Solivac is a nicer miniature! My Lesney Alfa Carabo is a much better representation than the Hot Wheels Carabo as well.

Solido is usually closer to 1/43rd than 1/64th though, isn't it? I have a Dinky MGB GT that's 1/43rd (and wonderfully in a matching blue to my dearly departed 1/1 scale MGB GT) but I don't really want to expand into 1/43rd too much if I can help it because there are so many lovely pieces by so many resin and white metal companies that I'd have to stop ALL of my other hobbies just to feed the need. lol

#21 Hot Deuce

Hot Deuce

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Touring Mr. Hot Wheels' Garage!

http://www.youtube.c...&v=o2Cov5U-6Kw#!

John Lamb

If some is good - and more is better - then too much is just enough 

#22 Fiddler

Fiddler

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ok Philippe, if you're at the SWC Coupe race, I'm gonna bring some cheapy Hot Wheels and sprinkle 'em in your box!

How 'bout that! :shok:  :laugh2:

Tom Eatherly

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,903 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Larry Wood is a good guy. I met him in 1970 when Hot Wheels were a rather new thing, and he gave me a ride in his T bucket hot rod. I really did not like what he was doing but am happy that he did what he liked and got well paid for it in the end.

Just not my thing, you can keep your Hot Wheels, thank you very much. I am way too old fashioned for glitter, I prefer a bit more subdued colors and shapes.

Always did and always will to my death bed or whichever wall I will crash into in spectacular fashion if I lose it!

Philippe de Lespinay

#24 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 5,651 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

That's OK, P. We know how you are and love you anyway.

Here is a button Dokk wears at BPR.....

Annoy.jpg

Here is a pic of him with his new X-Ray glasses he designed back in the 70's to see through womens dresses......

DOKK 100.jpg

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 and HO club track racing! DANG!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race hard and often! "Nobody gets out alive"

Electric Dreams Online Shop