Photo

2013 Vallejo 484 results at Eddie’s in Vallejo. What?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

The cars were F1 Flexi-Chassis with various motors up to 16D. Most of the cars used Hawk 6 or F7 type motors. There were a few different types of chassis used including Champion F1 Turbo and JK Cheetah 1 and 7 variants. The race started at 2PM and lasted around 2 hours with each heat lasting 8 minutes. The track? The infamous Motherlode.

Eight slot car racers took the start on a freshly cleaned but very slippery Motherlode flat track at Eddies Slot Car World this past Saturday May 25th. Even with a fresh spray of glue, most of the track was not hooking up well and there was a lot of slipping, sliding and associated carnage. Virtually every driver had at least one trip to the dusty floor, some had a few more. One of the best launches found a car shooting off the finger and into a waste basket. Was it trying to tell us something?

2013 Vallejo 500, Justin Colvin wins! Justin clicked off 484 smooth laps while leading the group pretty much from start to finish. Justin drove his somewhat stock JK C7 Williams F1 Trinity Evil 9 powered car quickly and with no issues. He did tangle with a number of other cars (like everyone else) which cost him the valuable laps he would have needed on his way to get to a full 500 laps. Justin also set fastest lap on black with a 6.089.
Therefore, we finished the Vallejo 500 race with Justins 484 laps, hence what is really the 2013 Vallejo 484.

In a strong 2nd place was Ray Villanova with 450 laps. Ray was dialed in and unstopable fast in his F1 Turboflex with a 16D motor. He set a second fastest time of 6.648 on green.

In 3rd place was Randy Tragni driving a pretty much dead stock JK C7 Indy Car powered by a Hawk 7 motor. He finished with 639 laps, and a personal best lap was 6.695 on orange.
He was followed closely by Frank Rotgaber in 4th. Frank stayed up close and traded 3rd place with Randy through much of the later stages of the race. He finished with 436 laps. In the end, only 3 laps separated these racers from the last step of the podium. 

Further down in the results were veteran racers Wolf Immel, Uncle Gary Hoehn, Eric Jan and returning to the track, after a long illness, Gary Klobas.

Heres the final statistics:
1st       Justin Colvin            484 laps, personal fast lap of 6.089
2nd      Ray Villanova          450 laps, personal fast lap of 6.648
3rd      Randy Tragni          439 laps, personal fast lap of 6.699
4th      Frank Rotgaber       436 laps, personal fast lap of 6.859
5th      Wolf Immel             425 laps, personal fast lap of 7.030
6th      Uncle Gary Hoehn   414 laps, personal fast lap of 6.922
7th      Eric Jan                   400 laps, personal fast lap of 7.249
8th      Gary Klobas            381 laps, personal fast lap of 7.296

Thanks to Sue Villanova for race control along with Eddie and Janet for a great race.

The next big event at Eddies will be the Bay Area FCR championship race on June 9th.
A week later is the annual Cigar Car Vintage F1 race on the Motherlode. This race will take place on Saturday June 15th at 2PM.  

line up_cars.jpg

THE WINNER.jpg

2ND PLACE.jpg

3RD PLACE.jpg

#2 JimF

JimF

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Randy, what are the Cigar Cars?

Jim Fowler

#3 Big Durl

Big Durl

Pretty on the inside

• Moderator2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Great race report, Randy, and congrats to all the podium finishers.   

Darryl Vance

Posted Image

"So, basically, it's a bunch of boomers trying to re-live their youth?" - my nephew

#4 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Randy, what are the Cigar Cars?

Jim,

Here's an example (see photo). Basically, a flexi center section with a home made pan.

Attached Images

• cigar_car.jpg

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

The term "cigar cars" is generally applied to pre-wing rear-engined F1 cars.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Not at Eddies, these "Cigar Cars" using a flexi center section & hand made pans have been run there for years. :)

Bill Fernald

An organized person is one who won't take the time to find anything. :) 

#7 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

The term "cigar cars" is generally applied to pre-wing rear-engined F1 cars.

Yes, true with minor modification such as the Lotus 49c and a few others that ha tall wings structured to their rear uprights.

Not at Eddies, these "Cigar Cars" using a flexi center section & hand made pans have been run there for years. :)

In the slot car world, this is absolutely true. I have been running this race at Eddie's for 7 years so far and see no end in sight. It's always a great and fun race. I wonder if any other raceways are running these cars?

Randy

#8 JimF

JimF

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

OK........silly question but are there any..........uhhhhh.........rulez?

Like:

What motor/s?

Chassis width?

Center section must be stock? Kept in one piece?

Clearance?

Race on the King Track or Da Muddah?

Jistaxin'

Jim Fowler

#9 Big Durl

Big Durl

Pretty on the inside

• Moderator2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

IN the past few years, this race has also expanded to include retro-style scratchbuilt chassis as well.  The original idea for the car was a simple and cheap base, with some of the first cars not even having pans, just the flexi center section with pin tubes soldered on.

As Randy said, they are a lot of fun to drive.

Darryl Vance

Posted Image

"So, basically, it's a bunch of boomers trying to re-live their youth?" - my nephew

#10 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

OK........silly question but are there any..........uhhhhh.........rulez?

Like:

What motor/s?

Chassis width?

Center section must be stock? Kept in one piece?

Clearance?

Race on the King Track or Da Muddah?

Jistaxin'

Jim,

Here's a partial reprint from last years race report that has most of the rules:

"The race was run on the Motherlode flat track. Each heat lasted 7 minutes in what can seem like an eternity when your car can’t find bite.

The rules were the same as last season’s race to allow more flexibility in motors and chassis. The cars were all angle winder vintage Formula One Flexi, also know as “Cigar Cars”. These cars lack any aerodynamics and have a thin fuselage. They typically require the builder to fabricate the hinged pan section from scratch to be matched to a Champion TurboFlex center section. Although other chassis types and manufacture are allowed (such as D3 F1 cars) no one ventured into new territory.

Power was provided on some cars by the venerated 16D motor and on some by JK Hawks and Falcons. Surprisingly, fastest lap for the second year in a row came from a Falcon powered Scuderia Tragni ® loaner car."

Besides this, rear clearance of 0.047 and you're through tech.

I'll also add that last years winner was Tom Joseph who you know we lost late last year.

Jim, you are welcome to run a D3 car if you are considering running this race? Heck, I'll even lend you a car if you like.

#11 Big Durl

Big Durl

Pretty on the inside

• Moderator2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

If anybody wants to show up at the last minute, there is also a semi-RTR car in Eddie's Used Car lot.  It is a light blue Matra body on a Falcon7-powered scratch-built chassis from my old D3 days.  It was built by Greg Kondrek before D3 required a stock motor bracket.  This car runs really, really well on the Motherlode.  Probably needs new tires, but I'd recommend giving it a few laps and see what you think.  Tell Eddie you saw it on SLotblog, and I'll have him take ten bucks off the price.

Darryl Vance

Posted Image

#12 JimF

JimF

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Jim, you are welcome to run a D3 car if you are considering running this race? Heck, I'll even lend you a car if you like.

Awsome...thanks for the offer. It happens that I'll be in the Bay that week prior so.......I might could make it. I suspect I can cobble "something" together. I have a buncha flexis that have been gathering dust/rust for years. Plus......my retro cars would be pretty good too. In fact, I could drop the pans off of a pro coupe and an F-1 would fit right on (I think)

Or.....or.....or...... :crazy:

Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop