• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

This is a large catalog which I suspect was for dealer use. Done in the usual super high quality consistent with most Monogram products. In my opinion, this is a rare one. Probably due to the '66/67 issue date. I have only seen one other (never been to Scott's place :) ) and it went for silly money on eBay. Over 300 ballons if I recall. I only felt like doing five pages today so you will have to wait for the rest. :D Enjoy

PS: Anyone remember Trainland in Nazareth?

Oh, and I'll take a case each of those Indy Lotis and Elvas for $9 apiece... :wacko2:

slotblog 394.jpg

slotblog 395.jpg

slotblog 396.jpg

slotblog 397.jpg

slotblog 398.jpg

Joe Lupo

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Nice! The original artwork for the catalog's cover is at the LASCM along with several others.

P

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,232 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

What doesn't Scott have? LOL!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

A finished museum... :(

Still a lot of work to do.

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Well, up until today (shipped it yesterday) he did not have this which he purchased from me. I was surprised. On second thought he probably had it but wanted to upgrade. This is about the clearest vintage body I've seen. Stored away in the dark for 40+ years.

Thanks for the purchase, Scott.

body.jpg
  • endbelldrive likes this

Joe Lupo

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Joe,

The LASCM had one but we prefer to have a minimum of two of each item we find.

Thanks for selling it!  :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

$300 you say? 

In that case my paper collection just passed the $100,000 mark.... !

This was the regular consumer catalog as far as I know Joe, and as you say, to Monogram's usual impeccable quality. Kind of an unusual front cover photo too, since it's 90° to the rest of the pages. The catalogs in '65-67 were really beautiful in general... 

Don

#8 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I see this catalog quite often but I have never seen it at these kinds of prices... I think we paid 10 bucks for ours and that's about what it is worth. If someone paid 300 bucks for one, let's have a round of applause for the seller!  :)

Then again I have seen some pretty silly bids on rather plain stuff...

Philippe de Lespinay

#9 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Maybe two bidders got into a "whose is bigger" bidding war, Philippe, as sometimes happens...

I don't think this catalog is all that common, and things like this, or the equivalent Russkit, tend to go for more like $40 or $50, all the way up to $100, depending on the time of year and moon cycle... maybe in the wrong category, they could sneak through for ten bucks...

Don

#10 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I am going to respectfully disagree with PdL and sort of agree with Don. After all, who do they think they are, experts or something?  :)

Although too old to pull up, the 1967 Russkit catalog (which I posted a scan of) recently sold for $175 on that auction site. Not mine by the way. I do not make up the news, I just report it.

As far as the Monogram catalog, I still say it's rare. There are over 3,600 members here, many into vintage stuff and I bet you would not three or four people here who have one.

Can you score one for $10? I have no doubt. I myself have not seen this quite often as the "man" has said.

Well that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Probably less than 2 cents.  :D

Joe Lupo

#11 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,292 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Joe,

One cannot put a price on anything old nowadays because it only takes two bidders who really want an item for it to go stratospheric. Just think, is there any rhyme or reason for a poorly-driving truck like a 1957 Ferrari 250GT convertible, badly restored at that, to fetch 12 million bucks to a British disk jockey who had never even seen the car in person when he threw his cash at it?

But this is the day we live in, when money has less value that what it can buy, destroyed by lunatic economic policies.

I have seen a good quantity of this Monogram catalog over the past fifteen year on eBay and in private sales, but I think that the most expensive I saw was sold for 35 bucks. The LASCM has retained two or three, not sure.

The 1967 Russkit catalog, I bought a PILE of them in Dolton a few years back for 5 bucks apiece and sold them for $20 each.

Then again, I saw people one-Pay fighting for my slot car book, available anywhere else from 15 to 45 bucks, and the "winner" coughing $345.00.

So nothing amazes me anymore. :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#12 sub006

sub006

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

That $9 GT-40 kit reminded me that legendary Hollywood custom painter and builder Dean Jeffries passed away a few weeks ago.  In his shop was stored the genuine Ford GT roadster (one of two?) that Ford GAVE him for his contributions to their Cobra, Indy and other Total Performance programs.  Once in a while he'd do a little work on a decades-long restoration project.

His son will probably get millions for it, together or in pieces, at Pebble Beach, Barrett-Jackson or the like.

Jim Smith

#13 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

As promised, a few more pages to drool over. I am still trying to contact H.G.Wells for Time machine specs. :blum:

slotblog 402.jpg

slotblog 403.jpg

slotblog 404.jpg

slotblog 405.jpg

slotblog 406.jpg

slotblog 407.jpg

Joe Lupo

Electric Dreams Online Shop