• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShootinSparks

ShootinSparks

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:04 AM

What are some of the preferred ways to "permanently" attach Carrera Go track to plywood or MDF?  It doesn't have countersunk holes the way some track has.

The only method that comes to mind for me is wood screws installed right next to the side of the track with washers large enough to overlap the edge.

John Robeson

#2 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

YOu asked this in the home tracks forum as well.  The same people are reading it??  I suggested you go to another blog that has a LOT more home track information on it.  Just FYI

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#3 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hello Sparks,

I love what Carrera has done with the GO tracks. I've built a couple of transportable tracks to take to car shows and events for kids to play with. The tracks and cars are nearly indestructible and the kids have a blast. My mounting technique may not be what you are looking for but maybe my experience will assist you in you planning.

My tracks are on thin fiberboard on a light wood frame. I quickly dispensed with the idea of rigid mounting since the board is flexible. I use small countersunk screws through the centerline or edge of the track where the tires don't generally run. I used a countersink to (gently) create a conical edge and didn't worry too much about getting the screw head flush. Torque-ing the screws down will draw the track surface down a bit but I feel this is OK for my purposes. I generally just want the screws to hold and not stick up.

I intentionally use the smallest number of screws I can get away with. I just want the track to stay in place and hold the track ends together. The edge straps provided with the GO sets work well to hold the elevated sections together even on the roller coaster style layout I run. Among other modifications, I have backed up the Carrera plug-in or D Cell battery sets with a 12V lead-acid sealed cell battery strapped to the board. I can run off wall power when available or batteries anywhere. On one set I converted the stock two-wire controller set to three-post Parma controllers (brakes help!).

Attached Images

• HPMS Show Tracks Oct 2014 b.jpg
  • Night Monster Ardmore Tractor Pull 6-20-2014.jpg

Pete Shreeves

#4 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

You could use silicone on the bottom of the track.

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#5 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

Beware of using a bunch of liqiud nails and sticking it to plywood. The wood and track expand and contract at different rates. Particularly if you have it somewhere that has a great temperature difference range,such as a garage. If you do not allow for this you can expect bumps and buckling in the summer and cracking in the winter. 

Been there.........

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#6 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Contact cement should work.

#7 SteveDee

SteveDee

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

Vinyl window caulk applied in a small bead along both track edges, been doing this with trains for years. Use the cheaper vinyl, not silicon. Vinyl can be easily removed by light scraping, silicon is much harder to remove.
Steven Dietrich

Electric Dreams Online Shop