27 replies to this topic

#1 Ohio Retro Series

Ohio Retro Series

ORS Board of Directors

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Two of the most exciting slot car series being raced today are Retro and FCR. So, why not combine the two? That is exactly what we will be doing this season in the ORS. Let's get some of the FCR Nascar followers to see what Retro is all about and some Can-Am or F-1 pilots exposed to the fun of FCR "rubbin and racin." We are using the FCR-NRS National Series rules for the "Super Truck" class and swapping out the body for some old school Nascar rides like the Parma Cyclone. Full rules will follow soon as will the approved body list. Being the newest class it will run last in the schedule but we think it will grow quickly. It is not exactly "retro" but it is pure FUN !

• MSwiss, John Miller, Team Trend and 2 others like this

The ORS Board of Directors: Mike McMasters, Thom Greene, and Eric Balicki.

#2 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

It's way closer to Retro being an in-line than any Flexi class is!  I think it's a great idea....................

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#3 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Three cheers for a great idea.
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#4 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

We ran a basic FCR class with retro stock car bodies at Slot Racing Revival before it closed.  It's a fun class.

"Whatever..."

#5 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

This is going to be a great class!  It should bring in a lot of new racers.

Thom Greene

#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think it's a bad idea. You're NOT attracting new racers, you're just taking two existing groups of racers and hoping they'll merge into one. We already run THREE classes on race day, and you want to make it LONGER?

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#7 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

I disagree Mike. I think we WILL get new racers. Even if we don't we have to at least try. And since it runs last it will have NO impact on your day anyway. Right?

• Brian likes this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

Former home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#8 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

mike, alot of people who race fcr do not  race retro classes. this will get them introduced to retro racing. sounds like a fun class

Blair Stem

#9 Danny Zona

Danny Zona

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Its a good idea IMO. My home track has been wanting to do something like that for a while. My home track in our flexi state race series is replacing the wing car form of racing(not many racers race wing cars here) with one class being can-am and the other super truck.
Test, test, test and go test some more.
You're never fast enough!!! 💯

Preparation leads to separation.

Success is never owned but rented and rent is due everyday.

KELLY RACING 😎

#10 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

Excuuuuuuuuuusssse. Mmmmmeeeeeeeeee, as Steve Martin used to say, but, do you honestly think this class will bring in NEW racers? You might get some crossover between the two groups, but NEW racers? Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

And slapping a "retro" body on something does not make it a retro car. Otherwise, we'd all be racing "retro" flexi something-or-other, instead of the hand-crafted machines we race now.

The Ohio Retro Series should be promoting the RETRO racing we already have, instead of adding another bastard class of slot cars.  

#11 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I like the combination but it's a new FCR class,not a new Retro class.

It may attract people who like scale looking bodies,Old School Stock Cars,and an off the shelf Spec. chassis.

Add a PARMA Dead Star and I'm in.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#12 mppicione

mppicione

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Mike will this class have two level's (beginner and advanced) ? And perhaps different motors in those classes?

Marc Picione

#13 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Excuuuuuuuuuusssse. Mmmmmeeeeeeeeee, as Steve Martin used to say, but, do you honestly think this class will bring in NEW racers? You might get some crossover between the two groups, but NEW racers? Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

And slapping a "retro" body on something does not make it a retro car. Otherwise, we'd all be racing "retro" flexi something-or-other, instead of the hand-crafted machines we race now.

The Ohio Retro Series should be promoting the RETRO racing we already have, instead of adding another bastard class of slot cars.  

That's just it Mike. Our goal IS to grow retro. And don't be surprised when that "bastard" class of slot cars out draws retro nationally in the near future. You should realize by now that, after seven plus years, retro has already reached most of the old farts like you and I that remember when it WASN'T retro. Some still race, some have moved on to other things, and some didn't like it at first glance. We need to expose more people to retro for it to continue long term. Retro is NOT a class that the average person will jump into "cold turkey". Too much "hands on" needed for those without much tech experience. Too much $$$ outlay for a person who isn't even sure that slot racing is his cup of tea. The hope is to "hook" them with retro FCR and make them the future Can-Am or F1 racers. Our focus is still on retro but is hard to argue with the appeal of FCR and the good it could do BOTH programs by exposing each to the other.

• Dan Ebert likes this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

#14 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Mike will this class have two level's (beginner and advanced) ? And perhaps different motors in those classes?

Hi Marc,

Not at this time. By using rules similar to the current FCR-NRS program we have a existing base of racers to draw from up front. We will re-evaluate after this season.

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg

#15 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hmmm....I don't see anywhere it was ever claimed the idea was to attract new racers. What was stated was getting some cross exposure between the retro crowd and the FCR crowd.  That could bolster participation for both types of racing.  Why would anyone look at that negatively?  If you want no part of the FCR racing, you can just go home at the end of the retro program. If you want no part of the retro racing, come later.

Ohio probably has more opportunities to race retro slot cars than anywhere else on the planet.

• Dan Ebert likes this
"Whatever..."

#16 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

We have a group of about 15-20 guys doing it here locally in Florida on 2 short track ovals. :sun_bespectacled:

It's all good (Velcro) Spec car fun. Parma or Pro/Track tires.   :good:

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#17 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

"Ohio probably has more opportunities to race retro slot cars than anywhere else on the planet."

Very true and we're trying to have as many racers new and old to take advantage of all of those opportunities for now and in the future.

A rising tide lifts all boats to steal a phrase from another type of discussion. The same metaphor will hold true here also.

#18 Guillermo Suar

Guillermo Suar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like the Grand National class Parma left out of the series. I loved it.

Because light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until we hear them speaking.

#19 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'm just pist that there is NO ORS racing of any kind until October!!! Hell, I might be dead by then.

#20 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

Sounds like the Grand National class Parma left out of the series. I loved it.

Locally .. In NCS the 4.5" was not competitve .... so we ran the 4" Mustang and the Camaro, which of course are not GN but T/A.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#21 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm just pist that there is NO ORS racing of any kind until October!!! Hell, I might be dead by then.

** Beware of Sticks **

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#22 Guillermo Suar

Guillermo Suar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Locally .. In NCS the 4.5" was not competitve .... so we ran the 4" Mustang and the Camaro, which of course are not GN but T/A.

The national race in that class  was won by a 4.5" car over a bunch of 4", mine included.

Because light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until we hear them speaking.

#23 Dan Ebert

Dan Ebert

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Actually, Danny Z and Brantley ran 4 inch cars at the Nats last year.  Only one 4.5 car made the main.  And there were only 3 or 4, of the 4.5 cars in the entire 20 plus FCR Nats field last.  At our track the 4 inch car dominated.   I see nothing but good things coming from this move in the ORS.  The FCR chassis is a good platform for any racer wanting to jump into Retro and learn with an inline chassis.

GallerymanDan

#24 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Anything that brings people into the raceway is a good idea. My only concern is (if my memory is correct) you are putting a 3" wide body on a 3 1/4" wide chassis. Are you allowed to cut out the wheel wells and have the tires stick outside the body?

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#25 Mayberryman

Mayberryman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Actually, Danny Z and Brantley ran 4 inch cars at the Nats last year.  Only one 4.5 car made the main.  And there were only 3 or 4, of the 4.5 cars in the entire 20 plus FCR Nats field last.  At our track the 4 inch car dominated.   I see nothing but good things coming from this move in the ORS.  The FCR chassis is a good platform for any racer wanting to jump into Retro and learn with an inline chassis.

Dan, I completely agree with you.  I am a nobody who just got back into slot car racing after a 12 year absence, however, in my 50 years of off and on racing I have seen the same mistakes done over and over.  I believe that the inclusion of FCR racing to the retro series will get some people to take a look at retro and ask questions and get hands on ideas of how to get into and race retro.  I remember that back in the early to mid 90s our USRA races included Gp 10, Flexi NASCAR and a class we called Group 15 pan on Saturday and Int 15, 27 and 7 on Sunday.  The Group 15 Pan class allowed people to put a Group 15 motor and wing body on their Group 10 chassis and learn the joy of wing car racing.  In a burst of infinite wisdom the powers that be eliminated the Pan 15 class and to my way of thinking a perfect transitional class for potential wing car racers.

It is human nature to want to take baby steps when doing things for the first time and it does take a while for some to learn the art of the soldering iron.

• Mopar Rob likes this
Spencer Wilkinson

Electric Dreams Online Shop