Photo

What bodies came on Russkit Super Spyder chassis?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I've finally managed to pick up a Russkit Super Spyder chassis. I want to build it up as a vintage racer in our vac sports car class. 

I've got a few different Russkit bodies I can use on it. Which bodies did it come with originally? I saw a reference to the Porsche 906 and McLaren MkII in an earlier post. What about the Chaparral and Lotus 40?  Any others?

I'll be trying to compete against Cox Cucs. Any tips for making the Super Spyder handle? I guess it'll need 5-10 grams of lead in the front.

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#2 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

Kept searching and found the answer in an earlier post. Only the Porsche 906 body came on the Super Spyder with the brass pan body mount. Looks like that's the body I'll use

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Steve, 

It runs very nicely with a bit of lead on the front of the pans, at least that's what I used on an American orange in Belgium a couple years ago. Depends on the track, too - with a twistier track, you might want more lead. It actually handles very nicely just as sold, with the stock Russkit 23... I was wondering how it would handle with a hotter motor, so I put a rewind in there (after my 23 burned out on the Belgian track...), but the rewind wasn't must faster than stock, so can't answer that question! 

So you're the one who won that lot...

Don 

PS: I think the other thread explains it, but the McLaren was also sold in the Super Spyder series, but with pin tube mounts on the sides and in the back, not with the stamped body mount...

#4 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi don,

Yes, it was me. I'm working long hours and my only relaxation at the moment is scanning eBay on the way to work. Lucky the job pays well as I'm spending too much money. The Aussie dollar has dropped back down so cars aren't as cheap as they were. Still, prices have fallen so much it's hard to resist. Case in point: a pair of Hasegawa stockers for just over $300 the pair. I know there's not a lot of interest in them in the US but here in Aus they're more sought-after than the Tamiya stockers as they're so much harder to find.

Thanks for the tips on setting up the Super Spyder. I had worked out from that other thread that the other bodies only came with the pin tube version of the chassis. That'd probably be a good use for all the spare Spyder chassis kicking around except you'd need to find the stamped drop arms.

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

PS: I think the other thread explains it, but the McLaren was also sold in the Super Spyder series, but with pin tube mounts on the sides and in the back, not with the stamped body mount...

Don and Steve,

The Spyder Series had three cars in their line:

- Cooper F1
- Mclaren-Elva
- Porsche 906

All three had their bodies mounted with a piece of 1/16" brass tubing soldered to the drop-arm tubing hinge, and the two sports cars had another across the back of the car, soldered to a sheet-brass stamping bolted at the back.. Later the tubing was pressed in the stamping, no need for solder.

Of the three, the Cooper is rarest (it is a nice, green T67 car as driven by McLaren in 1965), the Porsche rare, and the McLaren more often seen, but all suffered from the lack of side-body support and often are found with the body sides punctured by the tubing, as the paint shrinks the body and forces the mount through the body. All were issued inside extremely fragile display boxes in 1966. The boxes are even harder to find than the cars.

In early 1967, no one was buying those cars anymore and with a new body mount, they were reserved for export use. But... only the Porsche 906 received the "series 2" stamped-aluminum, gold-anodized one-piece body mount. All were sold for export only, none in the USA. They were marketed as a kit inside a clear-plastic box, with a clear Porsche 906 body. All had a Russkit 23 motor. The ones sold in Europe (Italy actually) had a "Sticktoy" gold label on their boxes. In Australia, they had another branded name and I cannot remember what it was at this time.

But the kits were the same.
Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#6 ravajack

ravajack

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

All were issued inside extremely fragile display boxes in 1966. The boxes are even harder to find than the cars.

In early 1967, no one was buying those cars anymore and with a new body mount, they were reserved for export use. But... only the Porsche 906 received the "series 2" stamped-aluminum, gold-anodized one-piece body mount. All were sold for export only, none in the USA. They were marketed as a kit inside a clear-plastic box, with a clear Porsche 906 body. All had a Russkit 23 motor. The ones sold in Europe (Italy actually) had a "Sticktoy" gold label on their boxes. In Australia, they had another branded name and I cannot remember what it was at this time.

Mine is a RTR with the stamped "series 2" body mount. It also came with the fragile display box.

Car is as close as it gets to mint, the box is a bit off and was also somewhat squished in transport...

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

Bertil Berggren
Overseas Observer

#7 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Does anyone have a pic of the early version with the pin tube mounts?

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes... but it's at home and I'm not! 

Perhaps somebody else can help you out Steve... it's really a pretty informal affair, and I didn't realize it was factory until I saw the information somewhere that Russkit made these - thought it was a homebrewed job! 

Don

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Steve,

We got plenty of those but I do not have pictures at this time. Here is the export kit of the Sticktoy Porsche:

ru117.jpg

ru117_1.jpg
Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#10 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Chassis looks neat but kinda fragile! Really simple design.

#11 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Maybe some readers would be interested to know that the Spyder inline chassis, without the (sports car) body mount, was originally designed and used for the first two Russkit hardbody Formula 1 car kits, the '62 Sharknose Ferrari, and '62 Cooper F1.

I believe these chassis were equipped with a wire drop arm, they called "Guide Arm" though there maybe some other variations that I don't know about. The motor used was the "22" in those days. I'm not sure when the aluminum drop arm was substituted.

So the company was re-cyling this old chassis on the vac body cars.

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Gary is correct.

The first Russkit cars to use that stamped-brass chassis were models of the 1962 Cooper-Climax and Ferrari 156 F1 cars issued in 1965. The wire drop arm was truly a design mistake as it kept falling off the car.

In 1966, the cars were re-introduced as RTR models that are rather scarce today, of which the assembled and decaled body was clear coated. These new issues were the first to use a gold-anodized aluminum drop arm to replace the crummy wire example. Because the bodies were not washed after being molded, the mold release shrunk over time, lifting the clear coat on many, especially the Coopers.

The last versions of these cars were issued in 1967 in the form of complete kits with the aluminum drop arms, vacuum packed over a red card. These are not too common either.

Here is the original kit of the Cooper, available like the Ferrari, in either green or red:

ru105.jpg

Here is a Ferrari in its 1966 RTR version (only available in red):

ru153.jpg

Here is the last 1967 version of the Ferrari, that appears by that time to only have been produced in the correct red color:

ru172_1.jpg

The Super Spyder series RTR cars were all issued in 1966, at the same time with the Carrera series kits, the 4WD Black Widow series cars and the two injected Cooper and Ferrari RTR models.

Lots of stuff for a single year... and flooding the market along with hundreds and hundreds of other kits and RTRs by other makers. By 1966's end, several companies were already on the ropes.
Philippe de Lespinay

#13 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm still looking for pics of the early Super Spyder chassis with the brass tube mounts. I especially need pics of where the rear mount meets the chassis. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#14 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Steve,

I forgot to take the pics at the LASCM yesterday, we were so busy with advancing the book. Next time there I promise.
Philippe de Lespinay

#15 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

And I totally forgot about this a month ago, Steve! I'll try to remember to take photos tonight; it won't be a MIB version like at the LASCM, but it will give you the idea...

Don

#16 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

As promised, Steve. Car is as found a few years ago on eBay (I didn't really know what it was!), and it's been through a few races since then! I've lent it out a few times because it's a very easy car to drive. Very decent speed and handling, but not as quick around corners as the Carrera cars.... Actually finished fourth in my first race with this (I brought about six cars, but it was the one that ran best!), mostly because it survived, and a lot of the others didn't. 

The dirt is all authentic, 21st century, and I do have the intakes... 

RusskitSuperSpyderMcLaren5_zpsb7aa3ab3.j

RusskitSuperSpyderMcLaren4_zpsdb9e93f3.j

RusskitSuperSpyderMcLaren3_zps1be7431c.j

RusskitSuperSpyderMcLaren2_zps3f65d8e4.j

RusskitSuperSpyderMcLaren1_zps74c3f5fb.j

So, turns out it is a specific part on the back (nut and bolt not authentic!), but would be easy to work up something else... 

Don

#17 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hi Don,

This is version #2. There is an earlier version of this without the fabricated rear mount.

Also do you need a set of the missing intake stacks and the correct wire-wheel inserts for your car? :)
Philippe de Lespinay

#18 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

There was a Version 2 of a car that was already very obscure in Version 1? Amazin'! If you have a photo of a version 1, I'd like to see that... did they just solder the tube to the rear of the chassis, or ???

I do have the intake stacks, Philippe (faut tout lire, comme on dit sur FOLM....), they just fell off at some point. If the wire wheel inserts are the correct ones, then I don't have those - I thought these were the ones the car came with! At least mine did, and I think the Carrera version of the McLaren has these inserts as well...

Very strange about these inserts, intakes, etc. About fifteen years ago, I got my first Russkit, an assembled Lotus 40 with its box, that had never or barely been run - and it came with these intakes, not the correct Lotus 40 ones! Hard to figure out how they could have been replaced in such a new car... Could Russkit have erroneously put the wrong ones in the box?

Don

#19 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Don,

Yes, the first version had a tubing soldered directly on the chassis if I recall, we have some, I will take a pic next time at the LASCM.

The intakes for the McLaren-Elva are the "Weber" carbs also used on the McLaren MK2. If you have a Lotus that came with these, it was obviously an error from the factory. The Chaparral 2 and the Lotus had the tall intakes from the Lucas injection system. The Porsche came with sets of "carbs" (three on each side) while the Eagle and Honda F1s had two sets of six, each with the same design.

The wheel inserts you show on the Elva do not look like Russkit items; could you post a picture showing them from the sides?

Correct Russkit inserts:
1) Wire, used on the Ferrari F1, Chaparrals, McLaren-Elva, Iso Grifo
2) Cooper "round" spokes, used on the Cooper F1 and Spyder
3) "Eagle", a mess of flat spokes used on the Eagle and Honda F1 as well as the "Hustler"
4) Lotus, four-spoke inserts used on the Lotus 40 and McLaren MK2
5) Iso, a sunburst design not used on any Russkit car including the Iso (!) but available separately

All these were also available separately, offered in large vac-formed black trays at the raceways.
Philippe de Lespinay

#20 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

So that would explain why my Iso Grifo made up from a mint bodykit on the wrong chassis (the Black Widow two-piece) came with wire inserts that did not match the moulded spare wheel in the rear window.

Regards,

Allan

#21 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Allan,

Correct.
Philippe de Lespinay

#22 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, Don, for the pics. I can fabricate that. It was only when reviewing this thread that I noticed that the whole chassis is different on the later version with the bolt-on pan. The rear of the chassis isn't cut out, but has a pressing to accomodate the gear.

Anyway, this'll let me make runners out of some of my spare Russkit bodies.

Doc, I'm also interested in pics of the early version of the chassis with the soldered-on pin tube when you have time.

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#23 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Good point, Steve. I always tend to forget about that! Don't think there are any other differences however.

As you can see, I also had to cut out the earlier chassis to get a larger Cox gear in there...

Don

#24 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but can anyone help me with this?

My Kingdom for a pair of "headlight buckets" for the Porsche Carrera 6.

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#25 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Did Russkit ever make headlight buckets?

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#26 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

No. If I recall correctly, the only company that made headlight buckets for vac-formed bodies in the day was JAD (Riggen + Brimhall), on their two Ferrari "custom" RTR cars. I am trying to rake what's left of my brains to think of another, but I can think of none at this minute. 

Victor Ferguson made me some of those buckets for a Testor Ferrari P4 Spyder in 2003, and they were molded from the JAD piece.

light-buckets-1.jpg

light-buckets-2.jpg

Philippe de Lespinay

#27 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

If you look closely at my avatar you'll see a Porsche Carrera 6 Spyder I built. It was built for the first 1967 Car Model Magazine Race. My friend Larry Rogers entered it in the concourse and it finished third.

I've always thought that it was a Russkit. It has Russkit decals, mirrors and interior with a Cox drivers head. You can see in the picture it's an 8 cylinder version with 4 velocity stacks poking through the body per side. It has a separate engine fan detail and headlight buckets.

I've got a beautiful repop of the body and now I'm trying to find the other details.

Any help would be mucho appreciated! :)

Rick Thigpen

#28 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Just checked my Russkits and no buckets, but that does ring a vague bell: could it have been Lancer or another body maker? 

Don 

#29 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 40,800 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Rick,

That body was a Russkit coupe mold modified by Ron "Von" Klein, who worked with Jim Russell on the last Russkit bodies issued in 1968 (the ones in the black and red boxes). This was supposed to be a "907 Spyder", an evolution of the 906 with chopped top for hillclimb racing in Yurrup.

After that and other Russkit kits and RTR projects were cancelled, Ron produced a number of these bodies for MESAC club racing. When Ron passed away after a long illness, some of his old cars were acquired by the LASCM and preserved for future generations. In there are several examples of not only that Porsche, but also an Alfa Romeo 33 "periscopo", an Elfin and other prototypes offered to Russell as possible subjects for kits or RTR.

You can see some on this picture:

DSC_0374.jpg

However, no light buckets were present on any of these... but it is highly possible that Klein made some for MESAC use...

Philippe de Lespinay

#30 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for looking Don.

Nice cars Philippe!

All I have left of that car is a little color picture and the Car Model Trophy. I don't know where I got the body and it's assorted detail parts or who made them for sure.

I just noticed that Ken Larimer's Team Russkit Carrera 6 car from the 2nd R&C race in 1966 has headlight buckets. Perhaps he made them himself or perhaps they were factory "Team Russkit" parts. In 1966 through 1968 Larry and I worked a various raceways in Southern California. We were very heavily influenced by Team Russkit and the other Pro racers in the Rod & Custom and Car Model series. Maybe we "acquired" some special noncommercial  parts??

Rick Thigpen

Electric Dreams Online Shop