71 replies to this topic

#1 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Please note that TrueScale has made changes to the Kirby Long Associated Ti22, Part Number TSR24, and has maintained the same part number without submitting the modified body for approval. The changes include the extension of the side dams down the entire length of the front fenders which we do not approve of and have not on others submitted. The picture depicted on the TrueScale site for this part number remains the same as the old one.

You can see the differences below.

Therefore, the new version is NOT legal in IRRA™ events even though the part number on the approved list is the same.  The old version is still legal for use.

Approved version:

post-339-0-46503500-1375203159.jpg

New version:

post-339-0-71226200-1375203171.jpg

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

:shok:

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Is this a joke? I can't say that I can see the differences in the front side dam.

Are you talking about the area right behind the fender?

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#4 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

OK, here is another pic.  The fins go all the way down the front fender.

5-8-13-Haruki-4-TI22.jpg

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#5 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Just to clarify, if there is any fin on top of the wheel well arch, the body was never approved?

It may be an optical illusion from the paint job in the upper of the two images shown earlier but it appears the former approved body has a fin all the way down the fender, on top of the fender well and all the way down to the ground (particularly the far side fender), just the same as the lower picture clearly has.

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#6 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Just to clarify, if there is any fin on top of the wheel well arch, the body was never approved? 

I think your question is if there is a fin on top of the wheel well arch and forward then the body won't be approved. If that is what you are asking then the answer is yes as we have not approved other TI-22 bodies submitted from JK as well as Parma for that reason.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#7 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

AJ:

Nooses artistry in paint sorta obscures the fin. Here are a couple of shots with more mundane paint so you can see it better. FWIW.....I'm not sure I'd call this a "fin" but nevertheless it is there on both the TI-22 and the newish McLaren. TI-22 shown with an O/S TI-22R for comparison.

d82dbe2f-0b27-440d-9e78-b564ba83b0fb_zps

75f51f6d-13ab-49a8-b5ec-bb3cef97b653_zps

Jim Fowler

#8 MantaRay

MantaRay

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

IMO.........Victor at Truescale pulls a great realistic Slot Car Body. The only problem is that they only seem to be available out West. They are not readily available in the MidWest or out East. Not exactly on topic........just some food for thought

Ray Price
11/4/49-1/23/15
Requiescat in Pace

#9 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Not sure that Victor's bodies are any harder to get than those of Mr. Dilworth. I'm told that Eagle carries Victor's bodies in some models but that may just be a rumor. If true, then the raceways out east ought to be able to get 'em. If you plan in advance, you can usually get TS bodies in a reasonably timely manner. You do have to place the order, then wait a few days and call him to remind him.......that usually works.

FWIW.....and my $0.02 only.......I think that this version TI-22 is still closer to the original 'Kirby' than say the O/S TI-22 R or the various approved JK's.

Just sayin'

• MG Brown and The Bugman like this
Jim Fowler

#10 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Jim I plan ahead and I can't get them as a painter.

As for Dilworth, anyone can get them through me or Duffy.  I usually carry some of his stock and import them as needed.

Also, the point of this is that we have an approval process and it was not followed making a change to an approved body. It has nothing to do with whether it resembles a real Kirby or any other maker's TI22.

The body is obviously approved by S.C.R.R.A as it has been used out there for some time.  That's fine. 

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#11 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

AJ:

Nooses artistry in paint sorta obscures the fin. Here are a couple of shots with more mundane paint so you can see it better. FWIW.....I'm not sure I'd call this a "fin" but nevertheless it is there on both the TI-22 and the newish McLaren. TI-22 shown with an O/S TI-22R for comparison.

This has nothing to do with them or the subject at hand. It has to do with the approval process and making changes without it being submitted.  If that is a McLaren then it sure looks like a Ti22 version.  Is that a new True Scale one too?

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#12 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

This has nothing to do with them or the subject at hand. It has to do with the approval process and making changes without it being submitted.  If that is a McLaren then it sure looks like a Ti22 version.  Is that a new True Scale one too?

Yes, that McLaren is also the current T/S M8A. JOOC.....if you have a body in hand to apply paint to it.........does that give you enough time to evaluate it? Or does the same body have to come direct from the supplier as sort of a different and more official process?

Jim Fowler

#13 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

The supplier has to send samples to us.  Once approved it cannot be used in competition for 30 days.

I do not have one of these and won't order any unless a customer wants one done. or the customer sends me one to paint.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#14 Paul Jurczyszyn

Paul Jurczyszyn

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Why is there rules on what body to use and why? If you building your cars to speck I can't see what difference the body realy makes as long as you don't add to the org. Pull fom the mold. So please explaine to me so I can understand.
Paul
Humble student of the master slotters

#15 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Paul, these rules have been in place for nearly 7 years.  It keeps a lid on aerodynamic enhancement.  The SCRRA is even more restrictive.

Is this something you haven't seen before?  Not trying to be a smart-***, just wondering about the question.

"Whatever..."

#16 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

The supplier has to send samples to us.  Once approved it cannot be used in competition for 30 days.

I do not have one of these and won't order any unless a customer wants one done. or the customer sends me one to paint.

Gotcha.

Since you have already had one in hand long enough to paint it, you have seen what this version is. If TS sent you one through official channels, would you approve it? Or....would you have to see it again to say?

Jim Fowler

#17 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

Retro Snob as of 1/12/2011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Ego's, control and petty tyranny. The ridges don't offer any significant performance advantage over the O/S, Parma or JK Ti22. All but 5 get it.
  • The Bugman and backintheslot like this

Rob Hanson

Shops at Mid-America Raceway and uses R-Geo Products

Rob was right!

#18 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Gotcha.

Since you have already had one in hand long enough to paint it, you have seen what this version is. If TS sent you one through official channels, would you approve it? Or....would you have to see it again to say?

No it would probably have not been approved as we have not approved similar ones submitted by JK and Parma.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#19 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ego's, control and petty tyranny. The ridges don't offer any significant performance advantage over the O/S, Parma or JK Ti22. All but 5 get it.

No Rob, it is a matter that the rule, as John noted above has been place for a very long time and all other manufacturers follow it.  There was also a case where one maker ignored the changes suggested / required for approval and approved the body for use in another series.  That's fine.  The case here is that the change was made and the same part number was used.

As for any significant advantage, one does not know since it is not run here but is run in another organization. 

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#20 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

If it was better than the ones I listed racers would use it in tm and LLC. Handout the cool aid to those drink it. Like I said all but 5 get it

Rob Hanson

Rob was right!

#21 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

They didn't know about it since it was not announced as even being available Rob to those outside the SCRRA.  I got it because they were sent to me to paint and I did the investigation.   That's my job and no kool aid needed.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#22 Mopar Rob

Mopar Rob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

For guy that moderate the board, I guess all of you missed Haruki's question months back? Anyway from past experience this is just a waste of my time. Obviously you drink tour own cool aid

Rob Hanson

Rob was right!

#23 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

WHATEVER....  

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#24 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Noose -

Is the O/S TI-22R (the upper body in JimF's photo) IRRA legal?

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

#25 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

FWIW.....and my $0.02 only.......I think that this version TI-22 is still closer to the original 'Kirby' than say the O/S TI-22 R or the various approved JK's.

The ridges don't offer any significant performance advantage over the O/S, Parma or JK Ti22. 

Jim,Rob,

It's not a matter of whether the new T/S would have a performance advantage over any other Ti22.

It's a matter of us not being able to see an example of a real Ti22, with air dams the whole length of the body.

In the case of the O/S 473 / Ti22R and the Parma 1041B, there is an example of the real car having those dams along part of the front fender.

See below.

We just  made Parma remove those full length dams, like the ones on the latest version of the TS 024, on Parma's original submittal  of the recently approved narrow nose Ti22.

Attached Images

• ti22.JPG

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

Electric Dreams Online Shop