• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#51 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

Yes, and the guy who got this could have been a raceway owner of have more than one... with bits mixed from a RTR to a kit box over the years...  :)

This is why I am a bit cautious here, I need to see at least one SEALED kit with another body color that pee-yellow.

Philippe de Lespinay

#52 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yes, and the guy who got this could have been a raceway owner of have more than one... with bits mixed from a RTR to a kit box over the years...  :)

This is why I am a bit cautious here, I need to see at least one SEALED kit with another body color that pee-yellow.

I knew you were going to go there Dokk.

Everyone is trying to trick you.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#53 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

No one is trying to trick anyone, Bob. It just happens unvoluntarily all the time. How many times did we see a different car inside the wrong box on eBay, because the seller does not know what he is looking at?

It is just a fact of life.

As far as what a museum worthy of its name is supposed to do, is to proceed with caution in analyzing available facts. And the facts are not clear at this time, that the GRC would have been issued in a different color than yellow in KIT form. Certainly far from impossible of course, but over the past 25 years or so, I must have seen about two dozens of the intact (sealed) kits in both forms of packaging (without and with the window on the box), and all the bodies were yellow. The RTR I have seen new in box were rarely yellow, mostly white, red or an ugly mix of yellow with gray in the mix. Then the loose cars, I have seen blue, purple, puke green and goldish tone.

So I was hoping that someone here MIGHT have a sealed kit of another color than yellow, because at this time, we can only speculate.

Philippe de Lespinay

#54 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

That clears some things up ...

Now that you say the RTRs came in only 6 colors that matched the lane colors for rentals my memory of painted and chipped up rental cars might be intact.

From what I can tell, the part # on the box does not delineate the car color, so there isn't any clues there.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#55 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Bob, I do not say that the RTR came in "only 6 colors". I don't know that. There might be more. I only report what I have seen or remember have seen... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#56 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

does anyone out there sell any nos bits and pieces, parts for these cars? I have accumulated bodies and some parts, but not enough to complete these cars at 100% original form. Looking for tires and wheels, motors, gears.  

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#57 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hey Glenn,

I don't think I have ever seen NOS parts on ebay for these cars before ... or anywhere .... not that I can remember anyway.

Even the motors have a unique color paint to them.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#58 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

A couple years ago there were a number of NOS Spitfire parts on the bay, but haven't seen any recently; Glenn, I'll have to look at what I've got as spares, offhand I think I have some front wheels - found a box of them here in France! Ortmann does the rear tires, not sure about fronts. 

Don 

#59 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi Don,

Were these carded, loose or bulk? It would be cool to see the packaging of a carded part.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#60 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

The LASCM has several of the spare parts offered shrink wrapped on a card. Wheels, tires, guides, drop arms, axles, gears and even motors were available. I cannot remember this minute how much of that stuff is at the museum but will add it to the "list of things to do".

Philippe de Lespinay

#61 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Bob, 

Here's the parts; I had a guide on the original card, as was sold in shops, and then a box of front wheels in bulk packs, which had some guides in there too. It must have been imported into France or Switzerland, and the front wheels was crossed out and replace by front & rear tires....only fronts left!

So Glenn, I have guides and front wheels/tires if you're interested. 

Don 

GRCboxguidewheels_zpsd57feb46.jpg

GRCbox_zpsa8f66b72.jpg

#62 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Don ! :victory:

As I expected from seeing the box art the carded item looks great. :D

The green/yellow and checkered flag looks .... Nice !!! :good:

I bet the fronts are still soft and ready to roll.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#63 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,620 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

E. 157th St.

Gardena, CA.

No Zip Code showing

Thanks... it's about 3 miles southeast of the shop. It's real close to a place we go to lunch. It's also close to Isky Cams...

Oh, Gardena only has 3 zip codes and Google maps doesn't really care if you have one or not, unlike the post office.

• Gator Bob likes this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#64 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

GRC closed its doors many years ago after moving their casbah to Los Angeles. It completely ceased operations in the 1990s after re-incorporating in 1980.

I guess they ran out of goggles.

• tonyp likes this

Philippe de Lespinay

#65 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

People, you will have to forgive me about your opinions on collecting classic slot cars, I have never understood the concept. I understand collecting items that remind us of our youth and a more simple time when worries were few and joy was many.

When I got back into slot car racing the second time in the mid-'80s I would see people coming to the track proudly holding their Monogram, Cox, or you fill in the blank original slot car beaming with pride. I would think to myself and sometimes foolishly ask, why would you pay that type of money for one of the main reasons slot car racing did not make it? I can remember as a young kid in the early to mid-'60s to saving my money and going to talk to a track owner and would be told that this new Monogram car was the one to have and race. I would pay the then princely sum (whatever it was) to purchase the beautiful scale car and dream of going back and winning a race. Next day reality would set in when I put my costly and beautiful hard plastic car on the track and get lapped once every two laps by one of the racers.

I do not mean this as a slam to those of you who cherish these slot cars of the past, however, I just do not get the concept.

Yes, I did stay in long enough to understand and learn the art of soldering, bending of wire, and the art of painting a body from the inside, however, I have often wondered how many young kids had my same experience and left because of disappointment and did not stay in this hobby.

I do understand that my experience and those of others were most likely the result of track owners just wanting the quick buck, however, every time I see one of these hard plastic slot cars my original memories rush back.

Hi Mayberryman,

I can understand your sentiment about slot car racing in the golden years. I have had described to me the situation at the 'peak' years of '65-'66 when many stores existed, were packed full and the technology was accelerating at an unbelievable rate. I have a good friend who left the hobby in '65 due to getting blown off the track by rich guys with hot motors. Few could afford to win that way. There was only one class initially: "Run what-ya-brung". Not only did better heeled drivers and better connected drivers do all the winning, the track owners often dominated their own track races! Smarter track owners created group racing (gp10, gp12, etc.) to counteract this unfairness and keep customers but it was too late for many kids who left with a bad taste. I think maybe you were among them.

I was around during that golden time but I wasn't put off by the competition. I loved the excitement and newness of it all and later got into group racing which was about like a bowling league even though a few guys dominated due to their tuning and driving abilities. I had fun competing and built all kinds of custom cars for fun with my friends into the mid '70s. I can understand that collecting golden era slot cars does not reflect the same nostalgia for you as it does for others. Personally, I wouldn't cross the street to see a GRC plastic car again but I can understand that some people liked them and can afford to indulge a little to own, drive or just  reminisce about them again. Collecting is a different hobby than racing and it can be a lot of fun all by itself. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Pete Shreeves

#66 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

Collecting is just one facet of the slot car hobby and maybe more popular than actually racing slot cars.   There's a lot of guys  nowhere near a slot car track that enjoy  collecting the old cars.   Only some of us are lucky enough to have a slot car track at home or close by.   Lots of guys out there by themselves.

I agree the GRC stuff is not important, rare or a big collector item, but still it is a collector item. 

As a type of hobby, collecting old things is probably the largest hobby category  in America.  Slot cars, big and small, model cars, stamps, coins, jewelry, trains,vinyl  records,  model airplanes, trains, old hubcaps, guns, starwars, Roy Rogers, plates, books,  the list can go on forever!

Matt Bishop

#67 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

I don't own one, but I'll never forget them. GRC Spitfires were the rental cars at LeMans Raceway, Brunswick, ME when I first went to a commercial raceway in 1967.Not a collector, but perhaps I'll have to find one some day.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#68 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

For reference.

The Red NOS car shown above sold on ebay for $125.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#69 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 04:12 PM

Re-booted this post.

I have this white GRC body which I would love to get running for old times sake. While cleaning it up a bit I noticed that burned into the under side are the letters LR.

What do you think Bill, LeMans Raceway?

Does this bring back any memories?

Attached Images

• 102_7484.JPG

Martin Windmill

#70 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 06:17 PM

Here it is with the body cleaned up, and a bottom shot to show the L.R that is burned in.

Attached Images

• 102_7494.JPG
  • Screenshot (1722)60p.png

Martin Windmill

#71 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 08:22 PM

I have no idea if the Lemans Raceway Spitfires were marked or not, I only drove one the first time I set foot in the raceway. If yours came with silicone rears & a motor other than the factory gray one, I would say maybe. Lemans Raceway was a "silicones only" raceway on both their tracks & they must have replaced every factory motor in the rental fleet the first six months they were open. I can't verify the former track owner is still living, but he's 15-20 years older than me. I last saw him about 20 years ago & he ran a furniture store in the building where the raceway was.

Bill Fernald

#72 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for your input Bill, they may well be other Raceways from the 60s with the letters L.R. that ran these cars for rentals for all I know?

Any body out there know what other tracks had L R as there initials in there name?

Does anybody remember these cars with the deep burned in letters RENTAL ?

Martin Windmill

#73 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:02 PM

My plan for my extra body was to make it more realistic and less toy like.

So the first change I made was create a nose outlet. This would have air go in through the radiator then let air out NOT scoop more in.

I know this is all for looks as much as change that I think you would do IF it was a real car.

Next came the rear mods. It was a bit too square back there so I pinched the fin and reshaped it. Then lowered the self on the side of the fin so that it made a continuation from the top of the windshield to the back of the car. Again always thinking about air flow.

I use a soldering iron to melt the new shapes together. Ventilation is recommended  IT WILL MAKE YOUR EYES WATER if you do not. 

I have an extraction fan at the rear of my welding bench. :good:

What do guys think? Still not sure what to use for filler and primer and paint, any help is welcome :)

Attached Images

• 102_7513.JPG
  • 102_7514.JPG

• stoo23 likes this
Martin Windmill

#74 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:33 PM

Definite looking improvements! I might use a two-part automotive filler & spot putty to fill imperfections. That's what I used years ago on Pinewood Derby cars for my son & a younger brother. I have no idea what paint will stick to that plastic. I might try an automotive product or Tamiya.

Bill Fernald

#75 Martin

Martin

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Bill, so far I have tried 30 minute epoxy. JB weld. Tamiya putty. CA glues.

All of which can be removed with a finger nail. So they are not bonding well.

Not really sure what to try next :wacko2:

Martin Windmill

Electric Dreams Online Shop