1 reply to this topic

#1 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,377 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

This concept of a modern direct drive slot car being a possibility, came from myself, after witnessing the "stop now" brakes on the JK rental car, I ran for 3,411 actual miles last year.

With the cooperation of Jerry Kulich, I threw together a 1/24 car, using that same type Hawk 25 motor. 

I was impressed enough to show it to Jerry, who with his motor company in China, developed a special  motor designed for a direct drive 1/32 car.

After a few prototype motors and chassis and fairly extensive testing, the cars pictured on the flyer are now available.

While aimed at the 1/32 basement/garage track crowd, I've tested the car on both my King and more on my more appropriate 117 ft. flat track, and it runs terrific.

While not a speed demon,the car is so smooth, the traction level so high, and handling so terrific, I could manage 6.3 race laps on my flat track. That's a similar lap time, someone new to my flat track, runs with their Retro cars.

While certainly not having spectacular brakes, with the before-mentioned spectacular traction, I found driving the car wasn't difficult at all.

Andy Brown-Searle of AB Slotsports has probably tested these cars more than myself. His favorable impression of them can be seen in the enclosed flyer, which he composed.

Beyond the cars Jerry is selling, guys will have to figure out if there is an application that will suit this unique set-up.

I definitely see it as something useful for guys who build scratch chassis for the 1/32 hardbody cars, and possibly also for 1/24 hardbody, where having a motor only extending .400" forward from the drive axle/motor shaft, should allow full interiors.

This is obviously new technology, which will require some experimentation,

I can say, back in January, I let some pre-teens run a 1/24 direct drive car, using the Hawk 25, a Cheetah 7 chassis and a GT1 body for two+ hours straight, on my flat track, while I held races for the VW car club, their parents were members of, on the King.

The only recommendation I can make, is be prepared to narrow your tires, or go to a harder compound then you would normally run.

While part of it is probably the less torque, having the motor directly over the axle gives you traction like you probably won't believe.

1002522_216864565137140_1037603545_n.jpg

Attached Files

• Lowrider, John Miller, Michael Rigsby and 1 other like this

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman

Eight-time G7 King track single lap World Record holder
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990) 

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003

mikeswiss86@hotmail.com  (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,332 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I've split the discussion posts regarding this new car off into a new thread in the General Techincal forum, which you can jump to by clicking HERE.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"I am hopeless romantic when it comes to automobiles. I like the noise of the race car. I like the aroma of racing fuel." - Bill Warner

Electric Dreams Online Shop