Sano Shootout preparation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kkjva

kkjva

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Good Afternoon,

As the "Sano Shootout" draws near I began to make the necessary preparations for a successful (fun) time in Chiciago. I went to my optometrist to get my eyes checked and new glasses prescribed (did I need them!). I made arrangements to borrow the Sporran I wore at the the wedding, See Here, to carry my pit supplies. And I secured a supply of Sleeman's Beer.

Now, only one minor thing to do, build slot cars. I offer these photos as evidence that I am building. A bit of information, to the best of my knowledge, these are the first scratchbuilt inline frames I have ever done. The last chassis I can remember building were brass and wire Isos for myself and a steel chassis for Justin Thomas in late 1981 ( D**N! A long time ago ). It took me two center sections to remember how to build these things, but, to me, this is what slot cars are about, creativity!

Second photo, this is one of my five cats, Princess (I DIDN'T name her), a purebred Maine Coon who has an affinity for shiny things like armatures, cans, and metal parts. She came to us from a close friend who was getting married, whosewife-to-be said, "The cats or me!". He has a great story about Princess and a $30,000 loose diamond for the engagement ring. :lol:

The photos below are for your enjoyment.

[attachment=213:D3F1_1.jpg]

[attachment=214:Princess_helper.jpg]

Be good,

kkjva

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,067 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:22 PM

Looks like you got a great start Keith, but your workbench is way to clean too be one of us. I thought mine was bad but you should see Cheater's. :D :lol:

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#3 M. Steube

M. Steube

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Lookin' good, K.L.

Check out his Rick jig. Looks pristine. Hope to see that jig later with some heat marks all over it. LOL.

Word of caution. Remove the 1/8" wheelbase pins every time you complete your building session. If you don't, they seize in the block. Removing them when they are seized will tear your block up.

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, them photos prove Keith hasn't built a chassis in a long time.

Way too neat, as Pappy said, as there's no way a cat should be able to find the space to sit on a REAL scratchbuilder's workbench.

And a virgin jig, too. Such a noob...

:lol:

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,224 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

NOW he tells me! Check it out, KL, this could be YOURS if you're not careful!

Posted Image
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

What are you trying to do, Tex, swap him jigs? :lol:

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#7 kkjva

kkjva

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

The photo with the cat, Princess, was taken on September 1st, and, yes, the Rick jig is nearly pristine, only a couple of Flexi chassis, a Spec 15, and a Group 12 chassis had made their way on to the block, minimal soldering on those types. The center section on the jig in front of Princess is my first attempt at a D3 chassis. Encountered a few problems; old flux, re-tin soldering iron, Rick's jig transfers more heat than my old Champion blocks, and listening to the ASU/University of Michigan game. All in all, a tough day for chassis building. :D

I learned (remembered) a lot that Saturday and the second frame, I think, shows it. Hopefully, I'll get back to were I was in the late '70s-very early '80s, but, if not, I am having a blast building these chassis. Now I have to find my paint and brushes and remember how to paint backwards and upside-down on the inside of these clear bodies. :wacko:

Mike, thanks for the advice! Along time ago I began wiping down/cleaning the jigs after each use, really extended the life of those Champion blocks.

With the cats that I have, if I don't keep my work area uncluttered whatever I leave out may end up in bed with us the next morning. I may stop working at 11:00 PM but the cats have been known to bring tools and parts from the basement to Karen and my second floor bedroom and leave them in the bed. Wake up and find a tire and axle, a file, Dremel bits, and other "Cat Toys" strewn across the bed. Enough reason for me to pack up each night. :wink2:

Be good,
kkjva

Electric Dreams Online Shop