• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TeamHRW

TeamHRW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Finally the race version of this car has arrived. 

rmracer1.jpg

Overall Racer has done a decent job.

But bear with me of this edition of "Nitpicker's Corner"

rmracer6aa.jpg

The paint is odd, or rather the "red". It is more of a fluorescent orange really and hard for my camera skills to capture. Yet I feel the shade used is off. I realize the 1:1 car was very striking, but it seems to have more red in it than what Racer has chosen.

rmracer2a.jpg

This photo is misleading as it is more orange than what my camera is capturing. Very vibrant being almost a "day-glo" effect to my eyes.

Could it be just my eyes? It very well could be. I'll let others who have it in their hands chime in and share their findings.

There is also no clear coat over it. This will catch your eye very quickly. And quite frankly does not look very good to me. It is an easy fix I suppose, but wish I would have to apply my own clear coat (Future) to have it.

So even if the color was right, no clear coat to seal it is not very appealing. Especially when you know this car is built for some hard racing. With no clear-coat, I expect this paint to wear faster than it should.

rmracer3.jpg

But enough of the nitpicking. Now for the other view. 

I feel the detail level is nicely done. I was impressed with our driver detail as well as the rest of the interior. Once again showing you do not a need a full interior to make a 1/32 car appealing. At least to me.

rmracer5.jpg

Mechanically speaking it is identical to the first model we reviewed. So please read that REVIEW HERE for the technical specs.

rmracer4.jpg

My final thoughts are mixed. Small wheels in the back aside, the paint finish was not 100% to my liking. The body shape, interior detail, and even the rest of the paint and markings are fine. In fact more than fine. So this is the negative side. Not much of one depending on YOUR tastes in slot cars. We all know hardly any of them are perfect. Yet, sometimes the scale issues are not as "glaring" as this. Does it bother you? You make the call as always.

The positive?

We have raced these cars and have had FUN with them. Given that other members on this forum are the ones we raced them with, I can allow them to confirm that. FUN is all we can ask for really. And we sure did put them through a hard session or two. 

rmracer6.jpg

The good outweighs the bad for me. Do I regret choosing this car? No. I am still happy it is part of the stable so it is worth the investment. I look at this Group 5 series as one that will deliver a lot of us the fun we want in a slot car. Decent scale appeal as well as great performance. The components inside deliver the performance easily and many will feel the scale appeal is also acceptable.

I look forward to more from Racer.

Harry

Harry Wise

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Not just you, the red on the model does appear to be different to the 1:1 ,whether photographic/decal printing license certainly looks different.

Very nice-looking model car though of an awesome racing Porsche :D Did the cars need any fettling to make them perfect in the mechanical side of things? Or were they pretty much sorted as they came out the box?

Very nice car and thanks for posting :)

#3 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

I am hoping here that Racer will also produce this version:

Picture 1.png
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#4 TeamHRW

TeamHRW

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well they will make it, I have no idea on the release date.

It needs a little tire sanding and a "walkthrough" of the chassis. Just double checking that all the wheels/gears are tight and adjust/tighten if need be.

For racing, I am sure a tires change will be needed depending on your track/preferences.

Thanks for the feedback.

Harry Wise

#5 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

We appreciate the time that you put into your excellent reviews sir. :)

That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#6 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

That rear wing looks very fragile .

#7 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I ordered the "Psychadelic"  version from the Racer website and I love the looks and the handling of this car.  I'll certainly buy more of 'em!

Paul Quick

#8 geardriven

geardriven

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Just caught your review and comments. I am more a collector and race a few. I have this Porsche in the test version and a resin Ferrari 312P.

Even though these are both "shelf queens" I enjoy their detail and the knowledge that they are also built mechanically so their just not pretty to look at....

I like Racers' cars and would look to buy again should I see something I like.....
Chuck Tresp

Electric Dreams Online Shop