13 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Sheldon

Russell Sheldon

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I posted this back in March 2007....

The bodies painted by Jairus Watson and Joe "Noose" Neumeister are quite simply stunning and awe-inspiring to mere mortals like myself. Not wanting to detract from their posts, I thought it appropriate to start a new one.

I wanted to enter the Thingie proxy which Edo, Swiss, and Markus have worked so hard to organise and being pressed for time and burdened with some health issues, I thought it best to call on my friend Frans Marais in South Africa to help out by painting the body.

Frans does incredible work and did the graphics on the 1/32nd scale "crocodile" Audi R8 which I entered in the 2001 Marconi Proxy Race which Philippe organised. The body was painted to represent the "Crocodile Dundee" liveried car, winner of the final round of the 2000 ALMS race in Adelaide, Australia, driven by Allan McNish and Rinaldo Capello.

WAUDI.JPG

WAUDIL.JPG

WAUDIR.JPG

Frans' artistic talent is outstanding, even the "fish" air-scoops being drawn from the inside of the tight confines of the 1/32nd scale body. The Scottish and Italian flags were neatly painted alongside McNish and Capello's names - as is the row of Michelin men on the side of the cockpit!

When the Thingie body arrived, a Shinoda Bullet re-pop by Electric Dreams, I was bowled over! So I asked Frans how he did it - aside, of course, from painstaking attention to detail, patience, and endless hours.

This is what he wrote:-

"Not being a slot racer nor even a racing fan, when you asked me to paint a "Thingie" body for you, I obviously had no idea what you were talking about! But what I hadn't realised was that I was going to be allowed to have so much fun!

"When I received the body, I decided that this canvas needed something eye-catching and sexy. I decided to use Witchblade (by artist Frank Cho), a character who is incredibly appealing due to her goddess-like qualities. I sourced the image from the Internet and chose this design because it reminded me of the Birth of Venus, painted by Botticelli."

Witchblade_1.JPG
"I always start with a line drawing of the artwork. The image was transferred to adhesive film, applied to the outside of the car body, and the outlines hand-painted using a sable or pig's hair 6-0 paintbrush."

Witchblade_2.JPG

"The next step was deciding on the colour scheme. Because the original colours in the Witchblade artwork are quite dark and very rich, I decided to lighten the overall effect for better visibility. I started by painting the seashell on the nose of the body."

Witchblade_3.JPG

"Because it required very fine line work I carefully hand-painted in the lines, starting with red and then applying purple and pink. To add some depth to the colours, I back-scratched lightly through the paint, before adding a final darker purple on the borders. After masking the rest of the body with Windsor & Newton latex, I used my Aztec airbrush to apply the gradient. I used Tamiya PS paints throughout, due to their suitability for plastic car bodies.

"Next I tackled the fabric under the seashell."

Witchblade_5.JPG

"I find fabric extremely difficult to get just right, especially when painting it in reverse. I followed the same process as for the seashell, applying the outline of the fabric by hand, in a slightly darker tone than that of the bulk of the fabric, airbrushed in the highlights and then the background colour."

"I then moved on to Witchblades body, starting with her armour. I painted all the highlights first and then worked towards adding the darker shades. The rubies and emeralds were all given a highlight to give it a three-dimensional feel, and the mechanical areas were painted in silver. After all the fine detail was hand-painted, I added the background, also by hand, in racing green.

"Witchblade's hair was next, again with the highlights applied first and by hand and then darker shades added towards the end by airbrush.

"Having decided to leave her skin tones for last, I masked her body, the fabric, and shell, and painted the purple/blue lighting effect by hand using Faspearl Razberry metallic paint by Parma. Once the freehand pattern was completed, I used Tamiya PS Black for the background, which also doubled as a backing colour for the Faspearl Razberry.

"Then came the final touches - the goddesses body. I always use an Aztek airbrush; this unique airbrush can comfortably handle a wide variety of paints including enamels, acrylics, and oils."

"Here I started with the light shades, spraying the highlights first and then adding the contrast and darker shades later. As we all know, there is no flesh-coloured paint in any range on the market. This is where trial and error enters the game. I mixed Tamiya PS colours red, yellow, and white together and then experimented with a variety of shades until I got the correct skin tone for her body. Once I achieved the correct colour mix I applied it by airbrush using the fine nozzle. And then all that remained was to apply the final backing colour, Tamiya Silver."

Witchblade_4.JPG

The finished product:-

keda7.jpg

Witchblade never did get built and the body lay in a box in a cupboard for the past 6-years or so.

Fast forward to 2013.

After being inspired by Steve O'Keefe's magnificent Bullet chassis, I just had to get Witchblade built!

Russell_Thingie_Bullet_Chassis.jpg

Not having time myself, an e-mail to my buddy Dennis Samson, a real master craftsman with brass and wire, resulted in this:-

Witchblade_009.jpg

Witchblade_00010.jpg

Witchblade_00011.jpg

Witchblade_00012.jpg

Witchblade_00013.jpg

Witchblade_00014.jpg

Witchblade_00015.jpg

Witchblade_00016.jpg

It doesn't get much better than this!

• endbelldrive, Maximo, Jaak and 1 other like this

Russell Sheldon
Cape Town, South Africa

--------------------------------------

#2 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Awesome!

-maX

David Ray Siller

MAXImum MOtion

Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingy!

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Fantastic!

Man, that's some SWEET wire-wrapping... "sano" to be precise!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

A real work of art.!!

Howie Ursaner

#5 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Why did I suddenly flash back to the Lee Gilbert chassis article in Car Model magazine while reading this post? Very nicely done!

AJ

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#6 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

When I started building this frame, I thought of replicating Steve O'Keefe's version, and that's when I found out who the true craftsman is, and started making some changes!

Trying to copy a master's work gives one a new appreciation of their abilities.

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#7 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

I saw this body and chassis just before Dennis sent it off to Russell. You have no idea how IMMACULATE both the chassis and the body are unless you see it in person! The detail on the body is evident after seeing how it was prepared. The chassis and body are a perfect match in craftsmanship and art.

Thank you for sharing Russell! This is definitely the highest "bar" that has been set for a slot car body.....great photos, as always!

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#8 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

:shok: !!!!!! That is simply just awesome paintwork ! Plus mighty fine chassis crafting by Dennis :D

Really amazing machine , thank you very much for sharing with us Russell :good: :D :D

#9 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• Member at Peace
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

Beautiful paint and chassis.... now THAT is a real Thingie chassis Dennis..... Bravo to both!

Barney Poynor
12/26/51-1/31/22
Requiescat in Pace

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Art expresses itself in many ways, and that little slot car is a true work of art. Will future generations recognized that beauty?

Philippe de Lespinay

#11 Jaak

Jaak

Jaak Beentjes - JaakWorks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Well Philippe she is pretty hot ... unless fat becomes the new hot again :nea: 

Jaak Beentjes

Sig1_zps24552ee9.jpg
THINGIEPHILE REBEL EXTRAORDINAIRE
JaakWorks Website