29 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

The Independent Scratchbuilder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

In the early R&C races for sports cars and coupes, most of the available bodies were close to scale - which is to say they were narrow - well under the three inches allowed by the rules.

Those same R&C rules also required the front wheels remain inside the body and not be visible from the top, where the rear tires could extend past the body by 1/16" on each side.  Nevertheless, if the body you wanted to use was only 2-3/4" wide, this still won't get you to the three inches you are allowed.

In 1966, you didn't just chuck the body and find a different one that "fit" better (mostly because there weren't any!) instead you made what you had work.  One of the ways builders coped with this situation was to flare the fender wells to make the body wider.  How this was done has become one of the "lost arts" of building early slot racing cars.

At this point I must admit I've never actually done this! But I do remember reading that builders would literally tie an old teaspoon (using metal - perhaps copper - wire) to a small soldering iron with the tip of the iron inside the bowl of the spoon to heat it up just enough to use this whole contraption to soften and form the edges of the wheel wells into a flared shape (very clever!)  :D

Amongst all of the SlotBlog members out there, surely there are a few who have experience with this "lost art" and could explain how they did it for the benefit of those of us who would like to replicate this practice for our R&C builds.

If you've done any fender flaring in the past, and you remember how you did it, please tell us!  :hi:

Steve Okeefe

I build what I likes, and I likes what I build

#2 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

I flared the wheelwells on my first (and only) Retro Jail Door car. I used a McLaren MkII made of PETG.... probably acquired from Tom Anderson(?). Hearing that spoons were somehow used to accomplish the task in the old days, I tried to improvise with an old spoon. I cut off most of the handle of a spoon, removed the tip from my soldering iron, and inserted the spoon. But there wasn't enough surface area making contact with the heating element to be practical. So, I improvised. I'm kind of embarrassed to say what I did next. I used a socket wrench. I slipped just the socket over my soldering iron. Once I figured it was "up to heat", I slid the socket off onto something that wouldn't melt or catch fire and pressed the handle into the socket. Then I held the heated socket to the wheelwell of the body. It takes a little practice to figure out how long to hold it there, to soften the PETG sufficiently but not TOO much. I kinda rotated the socket against the wheelwell until I saw it starting to become "mallable"(?). You just have to work with it, rotating the socket and pulling "up" slightly against the wheelwell to get the wheelwell to begin flaring. If I recall correctly, I had to reheat the socket a couple of times as the handle acted as a giant heatsink, sucking the heat out of the socket pretty quickly.

I'll try tying the spoon to the iron next time. LOL

Oh yeah, buy a couple of bodies for your first try; use one body to practice on before working on the one to actually be used. I'll post a picture later this evening after I get home from work.
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#3 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sounds a real work of art doing this, one technique this R&C builder would love to recreate! So will be very interested hearing the different ways :good:

Like the sound of using the heated spoon, just like Rick when he's formed or bubbled an interior by heating a jig motor with a soldering iron then pushing the heated motor into the interior ,gaining clearance without showing the motor :)

#4 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

A heated up socket somewhere around a 3/4" (OD somewhere around 1" IIRC) worked quite well for me back then. Lotus 40s rocked when flared out.

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

At the time I did mine, I didn't have a... a?.... one of those doohickeys to control the heat to your iron(rheostat device). Using one of those to moderate/modulate the heat would be VERY advisable. I "think" if you have your spoon/socket/iron too hot and leave the PETG in contact with it too long, it will stick and it's game over.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

I would think it would work if you left the socket on the iron,and regulated the heat with a heat control/rheostat.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#7 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would think it would work if you left the socket on the iron,and regulated the heat with a heat control/rheostat.

Yes, but the trick would be to SECURE the socket to the iron, so it doesn't just wobble and rotate around the iron.

Richard L. Hofer

#8 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

I used a lighter to heat the spoon and then flared the wheel well. 

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#9 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Police Officer - Why are you heating up that spoon with a lighter?

Unsavory character ( read junkie, not Noose) - I am using it to flare the wheel wells on my McLaren

Police Officer - OK, I believe you :)

• Tom Eatherly likes this

Joe Lupo

#10 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,363 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Same as Noose.  We used normal size spoons, not teaspoons.

Paul Wolcott

#11 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Back when I did this, my mom donated one of her old teaspoons, which I modified slightly, then used champion rewinding wire to tie it to a 25 watt soldering iron I got from Lafayette Radio store (we called it Laffin' Idiot Radio).  I kept this in my box at home for when I did my bodies and it worked great. Used to do mine and for several other folks as well.  I could really make some pretty flares with that thing.  Wasn't hard to master at all and I don't remember messing up any bodies as the heat from the 25 watt iron was just about right.

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#12 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

I remember Mike Steube (or perhaps it was Tony P) saying that they used a socket, but that they coated it with ATF and heated till the ATF started smoking. That stopped the socket sticking to the body.

Dennis Samson
--------------------------
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#13 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

All noted down and will be put to use, the Porsche needs a bit of widening :laugh2:

#14 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I used a lighter to heat the spoon and then flared the wheel well. 

LOL

I could just see me trying to juggle the hot spoon without anything to insulate the handle.

Using the lighter sounds like the simplest idea so far. Sure, you'd have to reheat the spoon, but talk about "low tech" that works!

Richard L. Hofer

#15 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hey at 14 years old I made do.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#16 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Spoken like a true shade-tree mechanic that most scratchbuilders are! :good:

Richard L. Hofer

#17 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

What Dennis said. I'm pretty sure that little tidbit came from Steube.

Tom Eatherly

#18 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

At 14 years old you had a lighter??
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#19 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

At 14 years old you had a lighter??

How did YOU light YOUR cigarettes at 14?!

Richard L. Hofer

#20 S.O. Watt

S.O. Watt

Graduate Bench Racer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

Is butyrate the same or similar to what is used now for pulling bodies, excluding polycarbonate?

When using the socket, I had probably a 6" extension in it and heated the socket over the natural gas range in the family kitchen, the same one I used for bending up the rear legs of the spring steel chassis I used to build. :D

Tom Hansen
Our Gang Racing Team
Cukras Enterprises

Team Camen

Chassis By Hansen

I race and shop at Pacific Slot Car Raceway

#21 gascarnut

gascarnut

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

How did YOU light YOUR cigarettes at 14?!

I didn't smoke at that age, but those that did used matches. Proper wooden ones, Not those funny paper things you had here in the US.

!
Dennis Samson
Scratchbuilding is life
Life is scratchbuilt

Samson Classics

#22 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Here's my McLaren MkII with flared fenders. The body was originally 2 - 3/4" wide; the fenders have been flared out to 3". I sent it out to BP for a JD race a few years back; don't ask what happened. LOL  The car has been repaired better than ever.

TEX020_McLaren_3.jpg

• S.O. Watt and Tim Neja like this
Richard L. Hofer

#23 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

I didn't smoke at that age, but those that did used matches. Proper wooden ones, Not those funny paper things you had here in the US.

!

THOSE "matchboxes" were used for other purposes around '67/'68.

Richard L. Hofer

#24 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Most bodies today are Lexan!! You didn't have that back in the 60's!!  The temperature melting point is a little closer to the flash point I believe!! You're gonna have to be CAREFUL!! On my hardbody plastic cars--it's easy to heat the plastic with a "heat gun"--then shape it with whatever I need for a form!!   But expanding lexan is a bit more of a challenge!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#25 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Just curious.

Back in the day was flaring the fenders expressly allowed or was it a grey area deal?

Who was the arbiter of were they done neatly enough?

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

Electric Dreams Online Shop