4 replies to this topic

#1 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

I have built several retro chassis with 4 rails of .047 on each side. Now I want to try one with .032... How many rails do those of you who have gone down this road recomend??? Don't think I am ready to try the tuning fork yet...

Ben Kernan
8/3/53-4/11/21
Requiescat in Pace

#2 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

I built 26 rail of .032 for Matt Bruce and he won quite a few Retro East races with it. Also built a 20 rail F-1 car that he has won with. I built a 38 rail of .025 wire chassis as a joke just to screw with people and I be darn if Matt didn't win an A main with that thing. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to build.

Greg VanPeenen

#3 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Greg, I was hoping you might answer this, you seem to be building some winning chassis now...

Ben Kernan
8/3/53-4/11/21
Requiescat in Pace

#4 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ben,

I'll admit that I'm not the greatest builder in the world, but I'd suggest that you consider a tuning fork build. I created mine sometime back before much of the more recent discussions and, if I say so myself, it runs well and is very forgiving. Check the November Slots of Fun monthly race results for the Stock Car class, if you choose.

However, I did something a little different from most -- be it better or worse: I soldered the rails to the nosepiece and motor bracket; also, I ONLY used two rails of .0625 and no additional side rails. The only rails on my car are the two rails that are bent @ 45 degrees to form the tuning fork. 

Here's my rationale: The fork pulls the two main rails together just ahead of the motor to provide a free side-to-side twisting action. Side rails would only hinder the free flexing of the main portion of the chassis. Some argue that the twisting motion puts strain on the main rails, but by the time that happens, I'll have moved on to my next construction attempt. Besides, it's fun to experiment.

FYI, I used a piece of graph paper to layout the general design and check the accuracy of my bends. Actually, it was one of the simplest and easiest chassis I've ever built.

Hope to see you back at SoF again soon. If you don't show, we're only going to talk about you!   :D

Best,

jb

• macman likes this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#5 gfox

gfox

Hack, according to some

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

18 rails of .032

• Upfront slot cars likes this
Greg Fox