• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Received sad news we lost Tom Coyne on November 23. Tom was the guy who produced TCP brass pans, TCP wheels, and other HO parts.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

SJJ
John Falzarano

#2 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Very sorry to hear this. TCP also marketed one of the first (that I am aware of) commercial grade H.O. plug and play lap counter systems (4, 6, 8 lanes).

tcpheader.jpg

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#3 Pat McGee

Pat McGee

Representative for the Guild of Calamitous Intent

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

RIP, Tom. 

I don't think there were any of us racing HO in the day that didn't use his stuff.

What's all this brouhaha?

I'm told I have a face for radio and a voice that belongs in the newspaper...

Follow me for fun! Go slot car racing!

#4 HarV Wallbanger III

HarV Wallbanger III

Racing inta OLD age!

• 6,023 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

RIP, Tom...

Thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends.

Barney Poynor
"BRONCO" BARNEY
Team CORT!

Hello my name is Barney and I was... I am addicted to glue, magnets, and wings... I have been clean and sober years now... NOW I'm hooked on 1/32 club track racing! Dang!

"Even if you're on the Right Track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"

If you remember
screw-on braid, motors that look like padlocks, that dang fuse wire in Cox controllers, "hand" painted bodies, the very first can motors from Mabuchi, and the smell of wintergreen then you are OLD!... like me!

Enjoy life! Race Slot Cars and read SlotBlog!

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Using his pan on my HO car I really felt I had something serious now.

Thanks for all that you've done for HO, Tom.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#6 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Tom brought so much happiness into the lives of young, impressionable teenaged HO racers. It was like Christmas at every MI HOPRA race because we got to see his new stuff, buy what we could afford and ogle the pieces when we got home, knowing that each one was another step towards being competitive at the next race.

All of his stuff was top quality - still desirable to the "gravity" racers today. I don't know how he always managed such high quality while keeping prices so affordable - and still make a living with his chosen hobby; it is awe inspiring in hindsight. His parts were always cutting edge when they were new (also tough to do for such a fast-paced changing technology) and made top level competitiveness "available" to a lot of new and experienced racers. In a word, his stuff made racing more fun for everybody.

He was missed by the HO racers when he stopped making TCP racing parts and will remain very fondly remembered by those of us who got to meet and appreciate him.

Keep it in the slot (there must be slot racing in heaven),

AJ

Never complacent - striving to race to ever increasing levels of mediocrity!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Has anyone located an obituary for Tom?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks AJ for expressing exactly how I felt when I added some new TCP parts to my car. True or not they made my little cars LOOK fast.

Unfortunately for all of us, time doesn't stand still. Something to remember this and every holiday season.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#9 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,580 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

I spent about an hour today on-line trying every combination of search keywords that I could think of without success.

Last I knew he lived in Otisville, MI (population 846) but certainly could have moved at some point in his life.

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#10 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Greg,

I contacted Doug Morris, he was the closest to him in recent years. He contacted his wife and she confirmed the sad news. He has been checking in the Flint, MI, area. Have not seen a obituary.

Thoughts and payers go out to his wife.

(I have posted in Slotblog pictures of his lap counter and pan chassis.)

John Falzarano

#11 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Like many others I have fond memories of Tom. Once when nobody in my area was going to the monthly HOPRA race he drove an hour out of his way to pick me up.

RIP, Tom.

• Pat McGee likes this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#12 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

We just saw him last year at one of the HOCWNN races at Doug Morris' house. I thought he looked pretty good all things considered. Like AJ mentioned it was amazing to see all the products he made and marketed many that were literally made at his kitchen table.

Peace.

Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Perhaps Ron Bernstein won't mind if I bring over some material from his excellent Riggen HO Model Racing website:

From Tom's youngest son, Matt:

... We each (of five kids and mother) would have a slightly different take on the history of TCP...

The Hobby Shop is what spawned TCP. None of us really knew his ideas were great but we all liked the changes and improvements he made to the traditional HO frame. We ran better and better every season. Sometimes it was race to race and we could tell the difference. I was always proud of my dad. Guys would come to him all the time and ask him stuff. He'd always take the time to answer their questions.

Dad, Steve Brown, Dave Livesey, Russ Bealle were always planning something. The wives were always shaking their heads (but laughing) about the latest idea.

When we closed the Hobby Shop he focused on the wholesale accounts. To do that it meant we all had to not only build a better product, but sell more. We all at one time or another pulled an all nighter putting together a shipment. Luckily it was normally the summer time. Ha-ha.

When it became too much for the family and dad grew weary, he sold it to Marty. We never thought we'd be talking about it later. Let alone this far along.

One race in particular that I was in was a crash and burn. Meaning if you crashed anywhere you were done. My car would not go very fast and was excruciatingly slow for me in particular. Dad told me to keep at it even though the others were lapping me considerably. I was at my wits end. But he kept saying don't give up. In the end the cocky "would be winner" missed a turn and I won the race.

It was an era that I am proud to be part of. I wish the national races and I would of stayed in touch. We're never too old for slots.

Matt Coyne....

Ron's Historical reference:

TCP was started by Tom Coyne and developed the most wanted HO race car parts for professional racers of the early '70s. Part of a tight knit group of enthusiasts and small manufactureres in the midwest..., TCP was known for innovation and quality. Many of the TCP commercial products were the result of collaborations with Pro racers of the time, and TCP was able to bring individual innovation to a slightly wider market. As quoted by a racer of the era, "TCP was always the highest quality, everything he did was the best out there..."

TCP was bought by Gary Beedle of BSRT/Scale Auto in 1974 to expand their own line of high performance HO scale parts...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

And a small snippet from a building article posted at Harden Creek Slotcars:

TCP was a small company in the early '70s that was owned and operated by Tom Coyne. He manufactured a line of speed parts for HO cars including brass pans, brush tubes for AFX cars along with front and rear tires. His rear tires were the standard of the day; the first HOPRA Nationals was won on TCP tires.

I'll be moving this thread into the Eternal Podium in a bit.

Gregory Wells

#15 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Prayer and well wishes for the family and thank you, Tom, for all that you had done for the hobby.

RIP.

• MG Brown likes this

#16 mtcoyne7

mtcoyne7

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

We haven't posted an obituary yet. It's on all our minds but for lack of better excuse, we are still reeling. I would say that the TCP days are very precious to us. Dad//Tom had five kids, and ten step kids. He lived in Flint Michigan for the last thirty years. When he wasn't teaching, he was learning.

Matt Coyne

Matthew Coyne

#17 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Matt,

Thoughts & Prayers to you & your family. TCP is still winning races today. Search  "HO slot cars Brass wars"

RIP

SJJ

John Falzarano

#18 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Gregory,

It is up today, what a great Fathers day gift. Hi Family must have been thinking of him.

Todays Flint Mich. Journal obituary's

Love his parts ,God bless Matt & family

SJJ

John Falzarano

#19 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Here's Tom Coyne's obit:

tfc.jpg

Coyne, Thomas F. 2/4/1932 - 11/23/2013. Thomas Francis Coyne was joined for eternity with our Lord and Savior on November 23, 2013, surrounded by many of his children, grandchildren, and wife at his bedside. Tom served in the US Army Airborne 187th from July 3, 1949 through November 30, 1952. He was a member of the 11th Airborne RCT (shock teams), the 4th Field Battalion Artillery and Pack Battalion during the Korean Conflict, making 17 jumps. Tom was well known for being an inventor and designer. He owned and operated the Hobby Shop in Otisville, Michigan, and TCP Products, which catered to the popular slot cars industry in the 1960s and '70s. His talent for modifying the cars and creating parts to make the cars perform better was well known. He worked for Consumers Power Company for 25 years, starting as a draftsman and later working in Electrical, Gas, and Nuclear Engineering. After his retirement, Tom worked for another five years for Detroit Edison. Tom was a valued employee whose creative solutions on construction sites saved money for the company as well as preserving the environment. Tom was an active member of his community, especially Soap Box Derby, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and a model rocket club he started in Otisville. He served the Otisville Village Council in the 1970s. He remained well-informed, even after multiple debilitating illnesses, until his death. He was also an avid bow hunter and archer in the CANUSA competitions for many years. His favorite place was his deer camp in the Upper Peninsula. He built his modest cabin there with loving attention to detail. He was preceded in death by his parents, Francis Thomas Coyne in 1940 and mother Frances deSonia in 1974; brothers Eddie Podbielniak and Patrick Coyne, brother-in-law Paul Nellenbach, lifelong friend Berkley Diehl, stepson Paul Bonomo, grandson Joshua Moon, nephews Robert and Richard Nellenbach. Tom is survived by his wife Mary, former wife Annabelle of Loveland, Colorado; his sister Mary Nellenbach of North Branch; children Mary Ann Thayer, Teresa Evans, Linda Wawra, Joseph, and Matthew Coyne; and numerous stepchildren, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

Gregory Wells

#20 mtcoyne7

mtcoyne7

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for all the kind words. His passing as left a galactic hole in many lives.   :(

Matthew Coyne

Electric Dreams Online Shop