• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

The Chappy II D has always been a favorite of many gear heads, myself included. The Strombecker 1/32 scale version of this car is quite nice, and easily found on FleeBay for not too much change.

One of the earliest manufacturers of slot car parts and chassis was Auto Hobbies. Having a body, and, a couple of original AH chassis kits kicking around, I thought this would be a good combination for a nice vintage build.

Pretty straightforward build, all vintage parts, including the braid and rear tires, which are Auto Hobbies, and, still nice and soft and grippy despite being nearly 50 years old.

About the only departure from the stock chassis build was the addition of a "shaker" plate style rattle pan to give it some low down weight, and make attaching the body a simple mater using two screws through the plate into blocks of wood glued into the rocker panels of the body. Pretty standard method of mounting bodies throughout the '60s. And, still how I do it today.

Body is Strombecker, complete roller Chassis is Auto Hobbies, guide is vintage Revell, motor is vintage Monogram 16D.

And, as always, the proof is in the pics.

Oops, apparently I lied, just noticed that the front wheels are modern BWA ones. Gotta dig that puppy out and fix that (and, finish the damn thing while I'm at it.). Good thing for pics Eh??

AH-Chap2D-01.jpg

AH-Chap2D-02.jpg

AH-Chap2D-03.jpg
  • endbelldrive and Jocke P like this
Al Penrose BWA (Batchelor Without Arts, Eh!)

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Very nice Al :good: Love the Chappy 2d aswell .. That shaker plate really finishes off the original chassis

#3 Quickcars

Quickcars

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

That looks really good!  Other than the "Dino", the 2D is my favorite Strommie body.

Paul Quick

Electric Dreams Online Shop