• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just a quick note to all that follow this company, which I have supported over the years...

BUYER BEWARE!!!

I just spoke with these people, who started taking deposits for the Chaparral 2D in 2008!!!  I have diligently called them at the end of every year to ask, excuse me, when do you plan on producing this model that you have taken the deposit on... I was told the same, boilerplate story, as I have heard every year, that this coming year will be the time...

Exoto is blasted for poor customer service and other things on various blogs, but today I have to say, I have heard every excuse in the book, and they reached new B.S. heights!!!

These people are full of sh*t... They basically are fleecing people, in my opinion. After five years of the same old bull, I am no longer buying the Kool-Aid...

Beautiful models, crap customer service, and when I asked to speak to the CEO, not available...

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,735 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Funny thing is... here's the image shown on Exoto's website on their "About Us" page...

exoto.png

Mill, are you saying the took a deposit from you in 2008 for this model and have never produced it nor refunded your deposit?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yes, Greg, I spoke to them today, which I have done at the end of each year. I do not doubt that they will eventually come out with it, but they have lied to me so many times about this and other items, that I now refuse to believe anything that they say...

And yes, I have spent thousands of dollars up to this point on Exoto Die Casts, and yes, I am not the only one who has complained, just putting it out there for anyone - Beware when dealing with this company... Just my opinion.

Mill Conroy

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

#4 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

Today I was told the latest hold-up is that they are moving their factory, and moving the moulds...

Mill Conroy

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,735 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

You're a more patient man that I am.

If they'd had my deposit for five years without delivering product, I'd be talking to the CA Attorney General's office.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hey, we waited a year for Falcon 7s...

Mill Conroy

#7 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Mill,

I am still waiting for the third issue in the Can-Am car series. I have the 917 and the Chaparral, but its been a very long time for the sucker car.

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#8 Dr. Gamma

Dr. Gamma

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

Same here!!!

Plus I have 1/10 scale Ford MK IV on order since early 2002!!! 

Hell, with the AG a personal visit is what I have in mind.  

I like how their $189.95 dollar diecast went to $395.00, then $595.00, now they want $995.00 for them!!!

I see why both owners are driving Ferraris!!!

Robert Kickenapp, AKA RRB (Road Race Bob or when I fell down, I became Road Rash Bob)

"Honest, I swear its stock"  My answer to tech officials at post race teardown many a time.

That bike wouldn't do 150mph if you dropped it down a mineshaft!!!

#9 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I had ordered one of their Chaparral models (I think it was the 2E) that came with a complete car, and also came with a chassis sans bodywork. I ordered it through a Car & Driver magazine offer, so no deposit. I can't remember how many years i waited for the model(s), four or five, and when they called me to ask if I still wanted them, I told them no. The lady on the other end was incredulous!

I should add that I was getting them for $200, and at the time they were listed in Exoto's catalog at $450. I just didn't have $200 to spare at that time. Plus, I'd already bought an Exoto 2E from some other company.

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#10 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

My Porsche 917 is the same, it has a rolling chassis and a complete car. It is showing on the website as retired, the last price was $3,500.00. I wouldn't pay that for a car.

The Chaparral sucker car is listed as pre-order for $1,200.00 That is iffy in my opinion.

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#11 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,449 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I think I got my Jim Clark Lotus 49B for about $75 in Alpha race bucks. LOL.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#12 Dr. Gamma

Dr. Gamma

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Anybody that bought any Exoto diecast, and packed them away without inspecting them for damage. Don't!!!

Look at each car as soon as it comes in! They will screw you over if you find out two months down the road it is damaged. Sorry, you should have called us as soon as you received it. Got two damaged cars, and didn't find out until a few months later. 

I have many diecast I never even opened. Not one unopened Exoto any more.

I think a few customers should go out there and set them straight. Road trip...

Robert Kickenapp, AKA RRB (Road Race Bob or when I fell down, I became Road Rash Bob)

"Honest, I swear its stock"  My answer to tech officials at post race teardown many a time.

That bike wouldn't do 150mph if you dropped it down a mineshaft!!!

#13 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 5,721 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

The diecast market in general is known for late deliveries, but in my opinion, Exoto has taken this to new levels of repeated disappointment.

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#14 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,934 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

I guess I should feel lucky to have received my one and only 1/18 scale diecast, an Exoto Chaparral 2 (complete with a tweaked front spoiler/diaplane).

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#15 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

These people are the worst customer service organization I have ever encountered... No respect, nothing but attitude on the phone, and a complete posse of a-holes in their office... and that is giving them something.

Talk about standing behind their product, forget it.

Here is just an example... I ordered their catalogs on a special order five years ago, received my first issue, still awaiting the other three... Hope I live long enough to see them.

Completely the opposite of the people at GMP.

Mill Conroy

#16 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

Next model will come as a two-part set, one complete a-hole, and another a-hole roller!

Mill Conroy

#17 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hello!

I was doing an internet search today, just for grins, on the Exoto Chaparral 2D release, as I "pre-ordered" one back in 2005, and was wondering if they'll EVER release it. Through that search, I came upon this website, and based on what I read here, I thought I'd add my $0.02 worth to your mix. About 4 years ago, I was poking around, and came upon a site called 'Kevin's Hobbies', and they had posted that Exoto had been sued by Chaparral Cars Ltd, because Exoto had failed to pay the royalties owed to Chaparral. The courts awarded Chaparral $600,000 in damages, which by law, were tripled, bringing the total $1.8 million. Also, the order prohibited Exoto from releasing any more Chaparral models.

I tried to 'cut and paste' the article here, that I had posted it on the CF site, (back in 2010) but for some reason I wasn't able to. Nonetheless, this is the "Cliff notes" version of this never ending saga. Needless to say, as many others, I'm VERY disappointed over this situation....

#18 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Lon, can't wait to call them tomorrow and ask about the release date !!  These guys are the penultimate bait and switch scheme...

Mill Conroy

#19 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

Mill,

I've e-mailed them several times over the years, and their reply is always the same....you'll have your model shortly, and you'll be amazed by it's "furious detail".....their famous claim. I have a long-time friend who was an SCCA racer back in the 60s, and I went to Watkins Glen a few times to watch him race. Although I never got the opportunity to go to the Glen and see the CanAm cars race in person, there was another local racer who had a McLaren, and I did have the opportunity to see it in person, at a local Chevy dealer, who sponsored him at the time.

After that, I was fascinated by these cars, and when Exoto and GMP began to make and sell replicas of the Chaparrals, McLarens, Lolas, and Ford GTs, I started a collection of them. I have a Chaparral 2B, 2E, and 2F. I always thought the 2D was the best looking, and was thrilled when Exoto stated they were going to offer one. I immediately "pre-ordered" one, first through 'Legacy Diecast', in Chicago, then Exoto directly, after Legacy said they were ceasing their relationship with Exoto over "customer issues". Obviously, I've been quite disappointed over what happened in the last 9 years. I was always curious, however, what would have happened, if Exoto ever did release the 2D for sale, as we all know their pricing structure is all over the map, and my paperwork says they accepted my "pre-order" at $198.95......

Just for clarification, the "CF" site I referred to, in my post, was the 'Corvette Forum'. I should also add, that if I remember correctly, if Exoto paid the royalty fees, and the punitive damages, they could continue with their planned release of the 2D and 2J cars.

#20 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,564 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

The story about the lawsuit is true. I was at a function dinner at the Petersen museum a year ago, and Jim Hall was one of the guests. I asked him if he would sign a Cox Chaparral 2E that Phil Hill had already signed to me, and he graciously obliged. Then a father and son team pulled an Exoto Chaparral 2 and Jim Hall stearnly but very politely said that "he was not signing those".

They looked disappointed and I took them aside to explain them the issue, that Exoto, a Chinese company, apparently never asks permission to any of the manufacturers to reproduce their cars in miniature and ignores all lawsuits. In fact the lawsuit brought by Hall means that any Exoto Chaparral model would be seized by customs before it could enter the US, so do not expect to get anymore unless they cough up the money due to Chaparral Cars Inc.

In other words, they are like many Chinese die-cast model car makers, little thieves.

Hey, we waited a year for Falcon 7s...

Yes, but they came and no one asked for any deposits! In fact it was the fault of the US distributor more than anything else that caused the undue delay.  :)

#21 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Phillipe,

While I certainly don't appreciate many business practices of the Chinese, in all fairness, I believe you're painting with a pretty broad brush. Both General Motors and Carroll Shelby, as well as Ford, have been VERY protective of their copyrights, designs, and licensing agreements. Therefore, I think it's pretty safe to say that Exoto paid at least some of the monies they were required to do, in order to produce and sell these die casts. If they hadn't, they never would have been able to sell the Cobras, Corvettes, Ford GTs, and rather questionably, the Hummers, that they have done for the last 10-12 years.

Secondly, given the detail of Exoto's models, it's very obvious that they had extensive access to the real cars that they created models of. If I want to make/sell a die cast of a C-7 Corvette, for instance, all I have to do is go to Hertz and rent one for a few days, to take detailed pictures and make measurements. It would be rather easy, in this instance, to at least dodge the licensing agreements necessary, for a while.To do the same with a Chaparral, a race car from the mid-60s, it isn't possible without car owner/creator Jim Hall's participation. It appears that Exoto managed to get their foot in the door, however, it's quite obvious that they didn't uphold their end of the contract. 

#22 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,564 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Lon,

with all due respect, I designed and had built a good dozen of very precise 1/24-scale plastic model kits for a French company, that were and still are highly regarded by model fans for their precision and accuracy, in the 1960s, without any authorization or request or approval from the car companies, because it was not done then and no one asked questions. The manufacturers were happy to see models of their cars.

More: I never had access to many of these cars and used B&W (not even color!) Photographies to produce these kits and drawings of which good-old hand-cut molds were produced, some of them still used and marketed to this day, a mere 48 years later.

So yes, it is very easy today, with more modern methods, to produce highly detailed assembled models without ever:

1/ having seen the real cars even once.

2/ asking permission.

While many models and toys were previously approved by manufacturers, legal model  licensing began only in the early 1970s.

An example: Cox and Solido were the ONLY licensed Chaparral models in the 1960s. ALL the others were manufactured without Mr. Hall's approval or consent, as likely are the Exoto today.

Just so that you know, every current and recent-past  Revell, Monogram, Carrera, Scalextric etc. slot cars produced in China are made from pictures and not observation of the real thing, and the gent in charge at the time of the Monogram 1/32 scale slot cars (now working for MRC) told me that the Chinese factory (in this case not only working for Monogram but also for other manufacturers) simply wanted to know which exact LIVERY they wanted model was to be, and they "took it from there" without ever requesting more details. In other words, they gathered their documentation from what is out there, and there is plenty. Most (but not all) are either authorized or licensed by the agencies that protect the manufacturers, but there are plenty of unauthorized models out there. In some cases, like for the Monogram March-Porsche, the March company ceased to exist well before the model was released and there was no one to ask!

#23 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Philippe,

I'll start by saying that I bought a copy of your book about the history of slot cars, several years ago, and enjoyed it immensely. It brought back many memories. Anyway, I certainly won't question your knowledge of the die cast model industry, but just say that I'm totally shocked that a person/business could copy and sell a model of a car so easily, without at minimum, getting written permission from the car's manufacturer/builder....

(and I guess that's where the term "Chinese copy" came from)

#24 leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hey Mill!

It's been a little over a year now, and I was wondering if you ever contacted Exoto, and if so, what their current "song and dance" is.

For what it's worth, I've been on their e-mail list for quite some time, and just haven't bothered to have them drop me from it. And I've been observing that their pricing is showing greater swings than the Dow Jones average!! 

#25 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,934 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:55 PM

I was at a Chaparral fan function in Midland, Texas just yesterday and I can assure you that Jim Hall will STILL not sign an Exoto product(my Chap 2). As Philippe stated previously, he was polite but firm in his declining to do so. I told him I understood. Later, I got his autograph on a napkin, assuring him that Exoto did not make the napkin.

Attached Images

• IMG_1135.JPG

• Mike Patterson and usadar like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

Electric Dreams Online Shop