Photo

Way to bring 35 year old AJ's tires back to life?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

I've got some older TJ's that have threaded axle AJ silicone tires. I bought these tires in the mid-'70s (at Kiddie World if anyone remembers them). They don't seem to have any adhesion left in them.

Is there any way to bring them back from the dead?

Thanks,

Randy

#2 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Randy,

Did you try flipping packaging tape or painters tape, so sticky side is facing out "like a lint brush" and rolling tire on there? Gets years of grime off.

SJJ
John Falzarano

#3 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

John, thanks, I tried your suggestion and it definitely helps.

It did not cure the problem though so I'm thinking my cars with these tires are going to become shelf mementos from my youth.

Randy

#4 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

The original tires are a rubber that will harden with age and usually split on their own. You may need to glue them on the rim. They may have a hard, dry surface that can be sanded off. 

Old or new silicones will last past the next ice age with a little cleaning. Your local raceway/hobby shop may have a current (REH) AJ's tire rack.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#5 redbackspyder

redbackspyder

Renegade, Mutineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

If they are silicones, you may clean them with naphtha or lighter fluid, and this will remove much of the grime on them.

Mill Conroy

AKA : TWO LAP CONROY, Anointed Trigger Monkey by Mike Swiss

Deal me life's toughest cards, without chance for hope nor fame, just let me play this one last hand, and I'll win this whole damn game.

Second Most Interesting Man in the World.

#6 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Location:The Land of Lincoln, where governors make the license plates.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

IIRC REH Distributing has a metric ton of new old stock AJ's HO slot car products in stock. I think that they bought out AJ's when they folded.

"I'm just here for the entertainment." George Carlin

#7 Ralphthe3rd

Ralphthe3rd

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Here's a tip I discovered last year by accident.

Although it works better to restore old rubber tires, it works just as well on silicone tires. And the secret to restore old tires is to soak them overnight in Orange Goop hand cleaner... it softens and cleans the rubber.

BUT... be advised, soaking "rubber" tires for too long will start to dissolve them, and also soaking in regular Goop hand cleaner is more harsh, and although it speeds up the process, it can also destroy "rubber" tires faster! As for using on Silicone tires, I haven't seen any start to dissolve even after a week or more submerged in Orange Goop.

So give it a try, it's really safe on silicone tires, but only use the Orange Goop, and for limited time on "rubber" tires.

PS: If you just keep a small jar of Orange Goop in your pit case, along with some cotton swabs, you can clean your tires before and after a race, and it leaves no residue behind if you wipe it off, although it does tend to soak into rubber and then evaporate.
~ Ralph R. Rosson III Posted Image

#8 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Ralph,

This sounds incredible. I will get some Orange Goop and give it a try soon.

Thanks very much for sharing this tip.

Randy

#9 Big E

Big E

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

IIRC REH Distributing has a metric ton of new old stock AJ's HO slot car products in stock. I think that they bought out AJ's when they folded.

This is true, but what they have for sale is not as "old" as you would like. It's been my experience that they ARE NOT like the original aj's tires I have on cars from the '60's and early '70's. I believe that a step may be missing in the current manufacturing process (possibly vacuum de-gassing), which is changing things a bit.

Any true aj's produced NOS tires I have left in my inventory I treat like gold, only breaking them out for certain build ups and projects.

I am a big fan of the original aj's HO silicone tires, especially the T-Jet sizes #025 and #007 slip on type.

I also like the thread on types, in all the sizes offered, from the original #110 sets to the huge "Indy Radicals". Even though compared to modern silicones the compound may be a bit hard, the aluminum wheels look great when polished up, and the tires still perform well enough for casual racing purposes. I also use lighter fluid (or good old aj's green TNT, just for nostalgia's sake) for cleaning these tires, especially the thread on types.

Just sayin...  Ernie

Ernie Finamore

#10 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Sorry I can't cut and paste quotes or content in SlotBlog anymore or I would have stringed this response together better, but, I tried Ralphthe3rd's orange goop idea and it made a huge difference. The tires are now soft and seem to have their old grip back. Thanks for all the other ideas as naptha is a great tire cleaner and tape works to get the clag off.

Randy

Electric Dreams Online Shop