• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I started this build in another tread, but it got a bit messy, with too many posts, so here the whole build is assembled:

As I had an 1:24 Lola T70 body with the intake schnorkels laying around from Tom Anderson, I dedided to have a go at Skip Hudsons Lancer sponsored car for a White Point CanAm car

6674836221_b0ccf630a4_o%20(1)%20(2013_01

As I could not find any decals for it I had to do them myself, using Corel Draw and my new supercheap Xerox colour laser printer.

The car is a light blue/grey metallic with stripes going from the heaslight and side intakes. These stripes are apparently stickers with silver "brushed steel" deco. So what to do ???
I searched the net for suitable pictures of metal with this kind of surface treatment and was lucky to find a pattern that could be used. 
I drew the stripe pattern and by using both Corel Draw and photo draw i succeeded in making suaable decals with the pattern. I printed them on clear decals film and plan to paint them silver from the backside as the decals are applied from the inside.

Skip%20(2).JPG

The number disc and Skip Hudson logo was printed on white decal film as was the Lancer decal. The disc and logo background has to be cut out and positioned behind the clear decals (like Fred Cady decals).  

Skip%20(1).JPG

Most clear decals added

IMG_7324.JPG

White backgrounds added:

IMG_7326.JPG

Test of the stripe decals with silver paint below

IMG_7325.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG

Just painted the silver behind the decals - and it looks actually like intended -NICE :-)

IMG_7328.JPG

Mixed a light blue metallic from Vallejo Model Air Aluminium and Faskolor blue metallic and spayed it on. Vombined with the decals it still looks

like I wanted it - so I am happy :-)

and here is the finished car - interior is a slightly modified Truescale (Lola?) tub:

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

Chassis is my own 3D printed much modified copy of the original German Wite Point chassis.

yours, Niels
  • milmilhas, Big Durl, Bruce Wayne and 1 other like this

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Superb and a great tribute to my late friend Skip... thank you!  :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

As always, really nice car, Niels! Love those wheel inserts. I still have a set of Eagle inserts I got from you a long time ago for a project car... still waiting on me, I'm afraid.

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#4 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Niels, I want to add my admiration to everyone else about your ability to build incredible slot cars. If you haven't seen it, Tamiya makes a package for laser printers for making custom decals. I saw it at Hobby Lobby, I don't think you have them in Denamrk, but they do have a website. If you can't find it and would like to try it, let me know and I will be happy to ship you a package.

John Andersen

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#5 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,825 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Beautiful car Niels!!!! :good:

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#6 n.elmholt

n.elmholt

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Niels, I want to add my admiration to everyone else about your ability to build incredible slot cars. If you haven't seen it, Tamiya makes a package for laser printers for making custom decals. I saw it at Hobby Lobby, I don't think you have them in Denamrk, but they do have a website. If you can't find it and would like to try it, let me know and I will be happy to ship you a package.

John Andersen

I checked Hobby Lobby and found a package from testors - is that what you mean ?? - It basically the things I use today, but thanks for the tip anyhow :-)

Niels

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#7 drrufo

drrufo

DR Racing Products

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

You are right, I got confused at Hobby Lobby, too much estrogen. I was there with my wife, her best friend and her friends room mate. I was overwhelmed......

John Andersen
DR Racing Products

#8 spudboy

spudboy

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Nice!

Nate "spudboy" Bemis

Electric Dreams Online Shop