• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

I am spearheading a new thing. I think it is time again to discuss a hand-out tire at series and major events.

What is your opinions and WHY?
  • Tim Neja likes this

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Rick,

To the best of my knowledge, the Music City Shootout at Central TN Raceway will again utilize hand-out tires.

I am for it for a number of reasons: saves time setting up cars, saves money on tire costs, makes money for raceway owner, and finally and most importantly, it results in tighter qualifying time spreads and closer racing.

At the first Shootout, after the race there wasn't a single racer (AFAIK) who didn't think it was a great idea that worked well.

But you know how incredibly resistant slot racers are to any sort of change...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

I'm against it for two reasons:

#1: Trying different tires is a tuning tool, I like having the option of trying something different if my car is not working quite the way I want it to.
#2: As we experienced at the Retro East 4 hour enduro 2 years ago, sometimes you get a batch of bad rubber... then what do you do?

From a personal standpoint, I would not travel to a race that has a hand-out tire rule in effect.  My time and money, my choice.
  • The Groove likes this
"Whatever..."

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

It is your choice, John.

But aren't you really reviewing the "book" without having read it, if you haven't even tried it?

Reminds me of my kids, who were convinced certain foods didn't taste good even before they'd tried a bite...
  • Tim Neja likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

I think it would be good overall for the hobby. I believe there would be a cost benefit for the racers. As long as it is announced well in advance what tire will be used I see no negatives. It is not at all unusual to use spec tires in racing, nearly all forms of 1/1 racing use them. At the very least it is worth a try.

Raisin

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#6 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

If this tire thing makes any sense at all....... why not hand out FK motors?  The FK motor cost is less than a PD rebuild and shipping.  All the same arguments apply, track making money, even playing field etc.......

You can't have it one way for motors then another way for tires.  It's the very same argument.  What next spec chassis?  Body's?  Controllers?

• John C Martin likes this

#7 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

I pay under $2 for donuts and i treat them to my preference. The cheapest handout tire i imagine any track would use is JK and they are $12, that is 6 times more then im currently paying.
  • The Groove and John C Martin like this
David Parrotta

#8 brnursebmt

brnursebmt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

I'm for it 100%.  And why stop there?

• Rick Crutchfield likes this

Bobby Robinson  RN, BMTCN

"Nobody rides for free." - Jackson Browne, 1980

"Positivity and optimism can overcome a lot of things." - Tom Brady,  2019

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson

#9 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

:popcorm1:

Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#10 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,227 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

I only rarely attend IRRA races, but I'll chime in anyway. I'm not in favor of the idea. I like having tire options as a tuning tool. I like to have my tires prepared before I get to the track; it feels like "thrashing" to walk in and miss valuable practice time 'cause I gotta true up tires first. I only get to a track about once a month, to attend a race, and that's the only practice time I get. And I'm slow at truing up tires... even less practice time. And not everyone has a tire truer; I guess they'd get to wait in line(missing practice), waiting to someone's tire truer. Having said all that, I don't think hand-out tires are "evil" or anything; I'd race in a hand-out tire race. It's just my preference to not have to if given a choice.

• Half Fast, The Groove and John C Martin like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#11 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

I am not in favor of it.  And Greg I have read the book.  We have had several enduros here and as John noted we got a bad batch more than once.

Racers know well advance what "typically" works at the major events especially since it gets posted.  They also have a pretty good idea how their particular cars work with the "typical" and plan accordingly. 

Tex's point on the tire truing is also very valid.

• The Groove likes this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"
"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#12 raisin27

raisin27

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

I only rarely attend IRRA races, but I'll chime in anyway. I'm not in favor of the idea. I like having tire options as a tuning tool. I like to have my tires prepared before I get to the track; it feels like "thrashing" to walk in and miss valuable practice time 'cause I gotta true up tires first. I only get to a track about once a month, to attend a race, and that's the only practice time I get. And I'm slow at truing up tires... even less practice time. And not everyone has a tire truer; I guess they'd get to wait in line(missing practice), waiting to someone's tire truer. Having said all that, I don't think hand-out tires are "evil" or anything; I'd race in a hand-out tire race. It's just my preference to not have to if given a choice.

You can bring all the tires you want to the race to practice with. You only use the handout tire in the race. In fact if you practiced with your handout set they would most likely be too small to pass tech.

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big three: I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#13 Guillermo Suar

Guillermo Suar

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

#1: Trying different tires is a tuning tool, I like having the option of trying something different if my car is not working quite the way I want it to.

From a personal standpoint, I would not travel to a race that has a hand-out tire rule in effect.  My time and money, my choice.

This is why I don't like the idea.

If my chassis work better with different tires, then my options are........?

Build a different chassis to accommodate the spec tires?

Buy a chassis that works the day of the race?

Just live with it and have a crappy result?

Because light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until we hear them speaking.

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

It is not at all unusual to use spec tires in racing, nearly all forms of 1/1 racing use them.

Exactly, Raisin. In fact, I would hazard a guess (without doing the reasearch) that in the majority of 1:1 racing, tire choice is specified or severely limited.

At the very least it is worth a try.

It is being tried and was overwhelmingly hailed as a positive at the first Music City Shootout I attended.

The Europeans have used hand-out tires for decades in certain ISRA classes and it's a non-issue for them these days.

Noose, enduros are different animals than 3x8 sprint races IMO.

And to understore my comment about slot racers being resistant to change, may I note that as best I can tell, every single negative comment in this thread has been posted by people who've never raced in a hand-out tire scenario and as most indicate, they won't even consider it.

Gregory Wells

#15 Milkman

Milkman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Either way I'd show up to race.  In one of our scale series (S. Texas Scale Series - a flexi based series) we went to a spec tire.  There was some complaining but after the first few races everyone was happy with the results.  The spec/handout tire was predetermined and a racer can buy them before hand or at the race.  Seems to work well for this series but not sure about retro as chassis differ in construction/weight/flex etc. and tires can be used to tune to the particular track conditions.

Ken Stevens
Speedstar - Go fast, stay on, do laps!!

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

This is why I don't like the idea.
If my chassis work better with different tires, then my options are........?

Build a different chassis to accommodate the spec tires?
Buy a chassis that works the day of the race?
Just live with it and have a crappy result?

Perhaps exercise your superior driving skills to outdistance the other competitors who would be racing under the same unbearable handicap?

Gregory Wells

#17 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Going to a spec tire is one thing.  Having a handout is another.  And all cars are different as noted by Ken.

I have run in hand-out tire races and it can be handled just as bad as handout motor races.  Yes, the good rubber kept on the side.

Also, unless tires were provided to a raceway on consignment, is it a reality that a raceway would actually buy that many pair of tires?  They would have to have enough for practice as well as the race. 

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#18 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Also, unless tires were provided to a raceway on consignment, is it a reality that a raceway would actually buy that many pair of tires?  They would have to have enough for practice as well as the race.

Noose, as far as I know, that's what Rick Crutchfield did for the Shootout. I'll send him a PM and ask him to post here to confirm.

But, honestly, I find your concern misplaced, as buying "enough for practice as well as the race" for a single type of tire is a far easier and cheaper process than buying four to six different types of tires to meet the same goal.

The sad part of this discussion is that the positive aspect of using hand-out tires on the raceway doesn't seem to be getting much attention. As usual, racers seem to consider their wishes and desires to be more important than the financial impact on the raceways.

And I'm sure none here have ever gone to a race where the raceway ran out of the preferred tire...

Guillermo, how do you deal with that situation, where the tire that works best for your car has been sold out and no one will provide you a pair? "Just live with it and have a crappy result" or pack up and go home?

Gregory Wells

#19 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• 5,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Greg, that was one race. I was curious why they chose an "untreated" tire, when they had been saying all along that they typically run "treated" tires on that track.

So here they choose a tire that is not the "norm", but the locals have weeks to try out different chassis to find what works best.

As I said... my time, my money, my choice. Until someone does a race where I can drive to it, race, and then drive home, I will not risk those two things on the "chance" I will like it.

If other people think it's such a great idea, stage a race with that format, go and have fun. That's your choice.
"Whatever..."

#20 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 23,176 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Greg,

Unless you have multiple cars that can accommodate that given tire you are screwed. We have local regional races where the raceway does not have enough stock so it would not be a surprising thing in a bigger event.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister

#21 BillyBob

BillyBob

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Greg, unless you have multiple cars that can accommodate that given tire you are screwed.

If you ask most of the racers that were at the Music City Shootout last year, they would tell you they used their "tire tuning" skills.
Bill Nolen

Staying in touch with my insanity really is the only way
It's a jungle out there, kiddies
Have a very fruitful day

#22 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Bill,

You were present at the first Shootout at Central. I'd be interested in your thoughts about that race and that format.

I would appreciate it if you would at least confirm my claim that at the Shootout hand-out tires worked well and that virtually everyone there was positive about the experiement.

Gregory Wells

#23 Bernie

Bernie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

I think if someone wants to try it, have at it. May work well or not.

Using 1:1 racing is not accurate. How many 1:1 racers have 10-15 chassis to try and find the one that works for that track on that day? Answer, NONE.

Easier to implement in 1:1. Because of that, slots are way different. To be really competitive in a hand-out tire race you need to have a wide variety of chassis available to find the one that works that day on the tire used that day, not to mention bodies, motors, gearing, etc. I personally do not feel it would make a huge difference as far as time and $ spent testing. In fact it may actually require more testing to get it right. No easy answer to any of this unless you go back to spec car, spec body, hand-out motor, spec gearing, and spec tires. We kind of had that with JK Spec but that is gone now. Wonder why it never caught one except at the Sano...

I seem to recall guys testing ALL day long with JK Spec cars at Sano races. Was it all to find the right tire? I don't think so.

As Manta Ray says... I await my beating.. :)
Bernie Schatz

#24 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

I think if someone wants to try it, have at it. May work well or not.

It is being done and so far has worked well. And no one has yet responded to my statement that ISRA has successfully used hand-out tires in Production class racing in Europe for several decades. How can you say it can't work when it has been working in that arena for better than 20 years AFAIK?

How many 1:1 racers have 10-15 chassis to try and find the one that works for that track on that day? Answer, NONE.

Disagree. Some of the top level NASCAR teams have nearly that many cars for a single driver.

To be really competitive in a hand-out tire race you need to have a wide variety of chassis available to find the one that works that day on the tire used that day, not to mention bodies, motors, gearing, etc.

Bernie, since you don't have any actual data to support this claim, I'd label it as opinion and not fact.

As Manta Ray says... I await my beating.. :)

Happy to oblige.

You know the difference between as sadist and a masochist?

A masochist says, "Beat me, beat me!" and a sadist says, "No..."

Gregory Wells

#25 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

After typing two very lengthy paragraphs on this topic I trashed them for the following brief statement:

Because we are all competitors we strive to gain an advantage over our fellow racers. Hopefully in a spirit of comraderie and good fellowship. In doing so, we bring different approaches, skills, and tools to the problem. Because of the variety of personal assets employed, the playing field is not, never has been, and never will be level to the extent that many seem to desire.

So... while I like the profit-for-the-raceway argument, I just can't support a rule that provides another gaping hole for the unethically creative to drive a truck through.
  • The Groove and Brian Russo like this

Pete Varlan

60 years a slot racer

Electric Dreams Online Shop